Thoughts on strings for kanilea tenors!

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Considering kanilea tenor ..........read they are voiced for aquila strings. Wondering what other srings sound good on kanilea tenors.

I love the Living Waters on my K1-T.

Living Waters and also Oasis Brights.

Mine Kanile'a K1 ST Deluxe came with Oasis Brights and they sound fine. I'm going to try multiple additional strings.

I use Worth strings on both of my Kanile'a's. I thought the Aquila's were harsh sounding on them. Nothing against Aquila's, my KoAloha soprano sings withy hose strings!

I love the Living Waters on my K1-T.

Ditto. After trying a lot of different brands on my Kanilea, the Living Waters were my favorite.

I haven't tried Living Waters string yet but guess that is next up. I like Worth Clears and Savarez on my two tenors. Looking at KSDLX tenor - spruce top with Koa sides/back with great looking koa sound hole rosette and ebony appointments. I guess its like any Ukulele, try unit you find the sound. Good suggestions, I've been wanting to try LW.
Thanks for comments.

I use Worth strings on both of my Kanile'a's. I thought the Aquila's were harsh sounding on them. Nothing against Aquila's, my KoAloha soprano sings withy hose strings!

I am told by both Joe at Kanilea and Aaron at HMS not to use Worth. Only Aquila or Oasis strings.

Well Aquila doesn't offer an unwound low G, not sure about Oasis. I believe the Worth's are very similar to Living Waters too, so it seems I may not be the only one ignoring Joe and Aaron's advice... :)

Interesting. May I ask did they give a reason why they said not to use Worth?

Just an amateur guess, but I'd think it would have to do with the string gauges. I know nothing of Oasis strings, but I do know switching from a nylon (Aquila, for example) type string to a fluorocarbon type (Worth, et al) string has never "worked," to my ear, anyway. While I've fallen into the trap losing millions of dollars buying and reselling ukuleles, I thankfully never got caught up in the string buying quandary.

Seriously, though. Switching gauges on certain set-ups has never resulted in good results to my ear, and I'm no great player- to any extent. I'm just an enthusiast. I never change strings unless one frays (Worth A strings, anyone... wtf?), so I usually go with what's available on hand. If it's a different type of string it usually sounds off to me. -- Matt

I have found that trying different strings can really change the sound of a ukulele. In general I like flurocarbon over nylon. I am not a big fan of aquila but will try the new super nylgut and now lava. It's just fun. Now,not really liking standard aquila I do find , on line sound samples, they do sound good on kanilea tenors. Or it could be Cory's great playing. I did like oasis and use worth clears a lot. So, when I find the kanilea that suits me, I guess I will play arounds with strings. Good suggestions thanks. Any other suggestions out there.

Interesting. May I ask did they give a reason why they said not to use Worth?

I wanted to buy the Worth when I was there (just because it's not available in Canada). Aaron said I should not use Worth because Kanile'a is built for Aquila (he may have mentioned the reason but I can't remember exactly. Perhaps it was the tension of the strings? . ) . He basically said Worth doesn't sound good on a Kanilea. He said if I really want to change strings, Oasis is the other brand I should use . For that, he threw in two sets of Oasis without charging me.
I asked Joe at Kanilea' just to confirm , he said Kanilea has their own low G string (only the G. they don't make the set). He agreed I should only use Aquila because that's what his uku are built for. He didn't go into detail and I didn't ask if I can use Worth.

Last edited:
Considering kanilea tenor ..........read they are voiced for aquila strings. Wondering what other srings sound good on kanilea tenors.

wondering how and why you "voice" an instrument for a certain string?! I recently demo'ed a variety of Hawaiian ukes and liked the Kanilea, but would change the strings...I think Martins would sound good, since they seem to be a popular choice for koa ukes.

I haven't tried Living Waters string yet but guess that is next up. I like Worth Clears and Savarez on my two tenors. Looking at KSDLX tenor - spruce top with Koa sides/back with great looking koa sound hole rosette and ebony appointments. I guess its like any Ukulele, try unit you find the sound. Good suggestions, I've been wanting to try LW.
Thanks for comments.

with a spruce top, I would try Worth browns and/or Fremont blacklines...

I have the red (Low G) on the Kala tenor. It's sound very very pretty and easy to play but you may not like the unwound sound.

If you order super nylgut in low G, it comes with the red.
The reds sound fine. They blend ok with the various white ones.
But the texture is kinda weird. It feels like cardboard texture, and does make a little noise when you slide but nowhere near as bad as wound. I kinda wish they made a polished/slippery set of reds. I would pay extra for a smooth/slippery textured red.

with a spruce top, I would try Worth browns and/or Fremont blacklines...

I 2nd that. I tried several on my spruce top concert, and Worth browns out shined the rest.

I have a Kanile'a 6 string that came with the aquila string and it sounds real good to me and those who listen to my playing say at least the strings sound real good!!

Top Bottom