Blind Test

La Perdrix

Reaction score
4 soprano : 2 in G, 2 in A ;
1 Martin vintage from the late 40', 1 Ohana sk-28, 1 GG uke, 1 pineapple SpongeBob ;
on each uke I play first a little picking, then a little strumming.

could you please tell me what souding do you prefer from 1 to 4 ;
and what uke do you think I play.

https://soundcloud.com/pdrx73/blind-test

thank you !

Last edited:
Anxious to know the result. I liked the 2nd one best. My only guess is that the 1st was the spongebob.

well after each proposition I send a MP with the answer but please don't tell !

Man, so hard. No idea really.

But to guess I think the nicest sound is 2 which I think is Martin vintage.

The others? 1 - Sponge Bob, 3 - Ohana, 4 - GG

I also like 2 the best. I'm thinking 1-SpongeBob, 2-Martin, 3-GG, 4-Ohana

Great idea. Very hard to tell them apart but #3 is out of tune by about 12 cents, and #2 seems to be off on the intonation about 8 cents (which can be fixed by adjusting the fret slots).

Order of sound preference is

# 4
# 1
# 2
# 3

I think the identity of the ukes are:

#4 sounds like Aquila REDS and GC pineaple
#1 Ohana
#2 Martin
#3 Spongebob

I think 1 is SpongeBob, 2 Martin, 3 Ohana, and 4 the GG. But I am probably horribly wrong...

1-SpongeBob
2-GG
3-Martin
4-Ohana

I like #2 best.

3 (seriously out of tune)

It is always fun to learn how wrong I am.

#2 is my favorite by a long shot. #1 is my least favorite. #3 and #4 were kind of a wash.

My best guess is SB, GG, Martin, Ohana.

I did like the sound of #2 the best. Can someome please tell what a GG is, I'm not a soprano guy.

I am guessing GG is Gerard Guasch. It was the audio clip I preferred as it had a more full and rounded sound.
The vintage Martin didn't fair too well but it may just be the particular uke that was being played. To my ears it had a much thinner (less sustain), brittle sound compared to the GG. IMHO the Ohana had quite a thin sound as well.

It raised the question for me - which soprano brands have a more full and rounded sound. The Cole Clark UL1 is one that comes to mind.

Last edited:
I was pretty sure I had the SpongeBob and the Martin right. The other ukes just didn't have the same punch as the Martin. I figured the GG was #2 because I never heard an Ohana sound that good. But one never knows. I'm surprised I got it right.

Top Bottom