Which Uku sounds the closest to a guitar?

Brenda Wong

Reaction score
I am just curious which brand made the most guitar sounding uku?
I realize low G , type of strings, body size ,type of wood etc contribute to the sound.
Many of you owned and played with different brand of uku, just thought you can satisfy my curiously.

Thanks

Baritones in general, in DGBE. In tenors : My Compass Rose sounds guitar-ish by design.

Sounds the closest to which guitar?

I have two tenors strung low G with both the 3rd and 4th strings being wound bronze. They are a Pono and a Collings and both have a guitarish sound, the wound C & G strings really help with that. In general a big bodied tenor in all mahogany or spruce or cedar top over either mahogany or rosewood back can give a guitar like sound.

Come to one of the uke jams and I will let you play one to see for yourself.

Very subjective but yeah, low G or low D instruments with soft tops (spruce, cedar, maybe mahogany) - I've come to like ukes that sound like ukes! Hi G Koa and sometimes mahogany!

DUK

I have two tenors strung low G with both the 3rd and 4th strings being wound bronze. They are a Pono and a Collings and both have a guitarish sound, the wound C & G strings really help with that. In general a big bodied tenor in all mahogany or spruce or cedar top over either mahogany or rosewood back can give a guitar like sound.

Come to one of the uke jams and I will let you play one to see for yourself.

Which jam do you normally go to? I guess you don't go to Comos jam right?

Very subjective but yeah, low G or low D instruments with soft tops (spruce, cedar, maybe mahogany) - I've come to like ukes that sound like ukes! Hi G Koa and sometimes mahogany!

DUK

You just gave me the perfect answer. I am trying to make my Koa sounds like guitar and failed. LOL I found myself going back to the Kala low G which is a shame when the beautiful Kanile'a is sitting in the corner.

If you want a guitar sound ... why not just play guitar? I personally do not like low G, because it makes my uke sound too much like a guitar (that's just me...and I know there are a TON of low-G lovers) When I choose a uke for a song, it's because I want a UKE sound ... not a small guitar. I've begun writing songs with the uke ... they do not have the same feel when I play them on guitar. Different instruments. It'd be like trying to get my guitar to sound like a uke...why? But, if you want a guitar-like sound...low G all the way. Carry on.

Any classical guitar sound.

Then I'd agree that wendelfiddler's answer is perfect. :)

Is there a specific setting you need that sort of sound for, or is it just pleasing to your ear?

A good friend of mine bought a guitelele for similar reasons. One was to play higher voiced guitar parts more easily, and the other was to use it to record some lute parts. It worked out quite well for him, it was a very inexpensive Yamaha and he's done some very nice recordings with it.

Then I'd agree that wendelfiddler's answer is perfect. :)

Is there a specific setting you need that sort of sound for, or is it just pleasing to your ear?

A good friend of mine bought a guitelele for similar reasons. One was to play higher voiced guitar parts more easily, and the other was to use it to record some lute parts. It worked out quite well for him, it was a very inexpensive Yamaha and he's done some very nice recordings with it.

It's just for my ears as I used to play classical guitar. Uku is perfect for me because it is easier and much much smaller . I asked someone who own a Yamaha guitelele, he said it does not sound like a guitar because the tuning is still the uku tuning. I am just looking for that deep , rich guitar sound. My Kala with low G already achieved that but just curious if other brand also have the same 'feel'. At least now I know certain wood generate different tune and Koa is not one of them that comes close to a rich guitar sound.

I'd like to know which baritones sound the LEAST like a guitar. I'm getting the itch for one. And if I were to get one I would want it strung DGBE but with a high D and no wound strings. Basically i'd like it to feel every bit like a ukulele but would like to try out some of the lower tunings on jazz #'s and such.

I gave the baritone tuned strings for tenor a spin and that just didn't work out so well. I didn't like em at all - it was the Hilo's that I tried.

When you hear Benny Chong play bari or Kimo play bari - they are very much ukulele. You can't say those sound anything like a guitar. But certain ones I hear demo'd on Hawaii Music Supply very much do. So is it more in the strings or is it more in the size or in the wood or is it in the player? I was wondering if aside from string choice, if certain models are smaller in size or are they all just about the same.

It's just for my ears as I used to play classical guitar. Uku is perfect for me because it is easier and much much smaller . I asked someone who own a Yamaha guitelele, he said it does not sound like a guitar because the tuning is still the uku tuning. I am just looking for that deep , rich guitar sound. My Kala with low G already achieved that but just curious if other brand also have the same 'feel'. At least now I know certain wood generate different tune and Koa is not one of them that comes close to a rich guitar sound.

Remember, koa is used in guitars, and they sound like guitars--even ones with a koa soundboard. I think, generally speaking, you need the larger body and scale of a baritone to get a uke that sounds really guitarish. Others have said, as on this thread, that Compass Rose tenors sound guitarish, but that is through the efforts of Rick Turner's building style, not so much the wood he uses. I think tenors can get a deeper sound with a low G, but they still sound like a ukulele in the end.

Remember, koa is used in guitars, and they sound like guitars--even ones with a koa soundboard. I think, generally speaking, you need the larger body and scale of a baritone to get a uke that sounds really guitarish. Others have said, as on this thread, that Compass Rose tenors sound guitarish, but that is through the efforts of Rick Turner's building style, not so much the wood he uses. I think tenors can get a deeper sound with a low G, but they still sound like a ukulele in the end.

I have a 20 yr old Washburn guitar with Koa back and sides ... one of the sweetest sounding guitars in my stash. But, it is a guitar and is supposed to sound like one. Brenda, sounds like you need a tenor with low-G :). Keep buying, you're just getting started :iwant:

If you want a guitar sound ... why not just play guitar? I personally do not like low G, because it makes my uke sound too much like a guitar (that's just me...and I know there are a TON of low-G lovers) .

Amen to that...

If i could make my baritones sound like a guitar, I would be one happy camper. My baritones are easier to play than my guitars, but they don't sound like guitars. Most guitarists worth their salt don't just strum the 6 strings. Instead, they use the lowest two or three strings as bass accompaniment. Guitars played like that don't sound anything like ukuleles (even baritones) to my ear.

I'd like to know which baritones sound the LEAST like a guitar. I'm getting the itch for one. And if I were to get one I would want it strung DGBE but with a high D and no wound strings. Basically i'd like it to feel every bit like a ukulele but would like to try out some of the lower tunings on jazz #'s and such.
Assuming you are from Texas ;) this recommendation possibly will be of little use, but my Brunswick brand baritone (distributed by Barnes & Mullins in the UK) came with high-D Aquila strings and sounded ... well, just like a baritone ukulele :)

I've re-strung it, for reasons that are irrelevant to this thread, but would still heartily recommend one in it's original configuration!

John Kavanaugh used to play a modified Harmony baritone strung in high G; sounded like magic. I think some of his videos are still in YouTube. Sadly, he died a few years ago. Here is a piece where he is working out some classical music. He was more or less practicing here, but it gives a good indication of what a baritone can sound like in an unusual tuning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom