Closing song?

bunnyf

Reaction score
Anyone with suggestions for a good closing song for Uke jams? I've been to jams that close with goodnight Irene but that always seems so lame. I like closing time by semisonic but folks in my group are so old and are completel unfamiliar with it. Any other ideas that might span the generation gap?

"Son of a Sailor" by Jimmy Buffet. Any time you can end on "I'm just glad I don't live in a trailer," it's a good day.

It's tough when there is a musical generation gap. Personally, I like "Sultans of Swing" (ending with "Good Night! It's time to go home") but adding any rock probably won't cut it at all with the average group. Odd are, depending on the median age (am 68 so I can get away with this!) you could probably end doing 30 seconds of "Happy Trails To You" and wrap it up quickly.

I personally dig dire straits, esp sultans of swing but you are right to assume that it won't fly with my group. I am actually quite surprised at the musical tastes in mine and other groups. Many of the folks are my age ( in their 60s) but apparently listened to none of the music I listened to in my teens, 20s, 30s. Very little Dylan, no Who, Pink Floyd, Santana, Bowie, Clapton, etc. Even if you go to another genre outside of straight up rock, like southern rock, The Band, Bob Seger, Allman Bros...still nothing. Either they didn't listen to the radio at all or maybe just a little Pop music. Hard to find common ground. I do think Happy Trails would go over big. Thanks for the suggestion and I have a soft spot for Roy and Dale from my childhood.

How about putting your collective heads together and write your own group good night/bye song.

How about putting your collective heads together and write your own group good night/bye song.
That's a really fun idea!

Maybe "Good Night, Sweetheart" ("Well, it's time to go" -- there are several Good Night, Sweethearts, aren't there?). Kind of doo-wop, which is fun even if it's not your age group. Of course most of what I play is before my time... and my mom's... so make of that what you will! It's so hard to find something that everyone will enjoy.

We always end with an easy one we all know (end on a happy note). Usually Aloha 'Oe or Jambalaya

You know Lily, Good night, sweetheart was actually the first one I thought of too but a quick search on the net only turned up other similarly titled songs but not the "it's time to go" one. I'll have to look a little harder. I'm still also liking Happy Trails but perhaps not the DU version in D. While it may be a little harder to sing in C, it's easier to play (lots of beginners in our group and I would like to end on a song that's inclusive).

Hawai'i Aloha is what we use here in Hawai'i. Pretty tune, but the words might be a hang up for a jam in Florida

Good old Aussie Band, The Angels - 'Am I ever going to see your face again'. A good sing-a-long tune...with the right audience :)

Good old Aussie Band, The Angels - 'Am I ever going to see your face again'. A good sing-a-long tune...with the right audience :)

Haha! Might have to change the tag line slightly to cater for the older folks sensitivities mate. :p

From what you say, my guess is your group is more into jazz era songs. In which case, how about My Way?

We don't have a particular finisher but we do quite often finish with a popular sing along folk song like Whiskey In The Jar or Wild Rover or Sloop John B. They all go well with our group.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm having a meetup this afternoon and going to go with something easy to play and familiar and something in a key that's relatively easy to sing. I'll play with the arrangements for Happy Trails and Goodnight Sweetheart (found it!) and see if I can tweak them to minimize quick chord changes, knock out or replace difficult chords and make sure it's in a key that at least I can sing. I'll see which one goes over better. Thanks again folks!

Top Bottom