PDA

View Full Version : slotted headstock or none

tangimango
02-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Ive noticed mostly most professional ukulele players have a slotted headstock, and also most high model customs have a slotted in them.

I like how the tuner knobs are facing back and not sticking out like mickey mouse ears on non slotted headstock.

If you had a choice would you want a slotted head stock on your ukulele?

bborzell
02-17-2015, 08:15 PM
I have two standard head ukes and one slotted. From the time I start playing until I put the uke down, the design of the headstock is not relevant. When I glance over at the three ukes sitting on their floor stands, my eyes are drawn to the slotted headstock.

For all the qualities and benefits that you might read here in subsequent posts, my take is that the only significant distinction between either approach is esthetic. I like the look of a well executed slotted headstock. OTOH, I have seen some slot heads that reflected poor attention to detail. Slotted heads don't allow much leeway on construction quality. A poorly made one looks really tacky.

Brad Bordessa
02-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Pro:
Tuners all turn the same way.
Tuners are way easier to reach.

Con:
They are a pain to restring.

Photojosh
02-17-2015, 08:29 PM
All other things being equal, I think a slotted headstock looks really neat. But I'd never trade sound quality for one.

kohanmike
02-17-2015, 09:05 PM
I have both and find no difference between them, at least that I can discern. I've seen beautifully crafted designs with intricate layering and purfling.

Booli
02-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Pro:
Tuners all turn the same way.
Tuners are way easier to reach.

Con:
They are a pain to restring.

:agree: Exactly THIS^.

Slotted headstock is a PITA with a string winder if you want to lay the uke flat on it's back to restring, but the ones that have the peg to the side are much easier in this position. (I do lots of changing and testing of all different kinds of strings).

All other things being equal, I think a slotted headstock looks really neat. But I'd never trade sound quality for one.

:agree: with this too. On the right uke, it looks nice, on others, not so much to my eye. Sound, playability, proper tuner function and intonation of an instrument are far more important to me than visuals.

My Fluke and Flea ukes have a sort of slotted headstock, but they come no other way. Other ukes are with a solid headstock. No worries either way in playability or sound to me.

cdkrugjr
02-17-2015, 11:19 PM
I think a uke with NO head-stock would be difficult to tune, but maybe I'm over thinking it
;)

I think the slotted headstock is SLIGHTY easier to re-string, with the disadvantage, on my kala at least, of being thicker, so harder to fit-up the Snark. Other than that, it's your uke, so get what makes you happy.

bazmaz
02-18-2015, 01:14 AM
I think a uke with NO head-stock would be difficult to tune, but maybe I'm over thinking it
;)

Risa Uke Solid!

kissing
02-18-2015, 01:59 AM
They look good.

That's about it

Rllink
02-18-2015, 03:06 AM
Just my two cents worth, I think that the slotted ones look chunky and heavy.

katysax
02-18-2015, 05:26 AM
A slotted headstock is a little heavier. They are a little harder to restring. But they can look nice. It depends on the design and the execution. To me its a toss up.

wayfarer75
02-18-2015, 07:13 AM
For concert or soprano, I'd gravitate toward an unslotted headstock, where the balance might be more of an issue and the slotted headstock might appear too "cluttered".

I agree with that. For the bigger ukes, I don't see one type of headstock or the other as being necessarily better, so I didn't vote.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-18-2015, 07:30 AM
A slotted headstock is a little heavier.

That can be a good thing, increasing the sustain.

Down Up Dick
02-18-2015, 08:06 AM
I like slotted ones, and that's the truth!! :old:

Ukulele Eddie
02-18-2015, 08:32 AM
You need a third option in the poll: indifferent.

I've had both and doesn't really matter to me. If I was getting a custom with inlay, a solid headstock gives more design area. On some ukes, I think solid looks better, on some others, I think slotted looks better.

Hippie Dribble
02-18-2015, 08:36 AM
Not a fan myself. They look a little pretentious to me. Like a wanna be classical guitar or something. More difficult to restring. I'm a fuddy duddy traditionalist.

Coconut Willie
02-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Like mine traditional!!

aquadan
02-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Planetary
Friction Pegs
Slotted
Ears

Phuufme
02-18-2015, 10:58 AM
A slotted headstock is a little heavier. They are a little harder to restring. But they can look nice. It depends on the design and the execution. To me its a toss up.

This is what I was going to post, exactly. I am not quite used the the slot head restringing. I have restrung guitars and my other uke many times, but the Pono with the slot head took me a long time to get right the first time.

Nickie
02-18-2015, 11:07 AM
I voted "none" because none of my ukes have slotted headstocks. I really don't care that much for them, I had one, and it was poorly executed, so I'm soured. They look too clunky on a concert size uke, to me. Although, if I came across the right uke, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
I don't understand though, how could the extra weight affect sustain? Can someone please explain?

spookelele
02-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Im curious myself. Fender makes a C-clamp that all it does is add weight, and it's supposed to make the sustain longer. They call it a fatfinger.

Nickie
02-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Im curious myself. Fender makes a C-clamp that all it does is add weight, and it's supposed to make the sustain longer. They call it a fatfinger.

Spook, it sounds like more snake oil to me. I posted an article about string snake oil on the TBUS FB page....
sorry to highjack the thread....but too many manufacturers of gimmics seem to think ukeists are dumb...and loaded.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-18-2015, 11:35 AM
How many times you change strings? Three or four times a day? Really, it ain't that hard. It takes a couple of minutes longer.

Nickie
02-18-2015, 11:39 AM
How many times you change strings? Three or four times a day?

You guys are in rare form today....you're killing me!

DownUpDave
02-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Although I love the look of slotted I voted for solid. Solid is thinner and the transistion taper from neck to headstock is more gradual. This makes sliding up onto the headstock easy for chords like E7, G7 or anything on the first fret, Fdim7. I have an issue with my left fretting fingers so every little bit helps

Dan Uke
02-18-2015, 01:40 PM
Although I love the look of slotted I voted for solid. Solid is thinner and the transistion taper from neck to headstock is more gradual. This makes sliding up onto the headstock easy for chords like E7, G7 or anything on the first fret, Fdim7. I have an issue with my left fretting fingers so every little bit helps

Yes every maker is difft but I don't like it when my hand touches the headstock on the E7.

Hippie Dribble
02-18-2015, 01:41 PM
How many times you change strings? Three or four times a day? Really, it ain't that hard. It takes a couple of minutes longer.

And twice on Sunday!!!

DownUpDave
02-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Yes every maker is difft but I don't like it when my hand touches the headstock on the E7.

I don't like it either and the slimmer solid headstock helps me prevent that. Bad hands and sloppy technique require all the help they can get :cheers:

Doc_J
02-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Honestly, I don't find slotted headstocks any harder to string up.

http://s1298.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fag56%2FDoc_Jenkins%2FMoore%2 0Bettah%20Tenor%202014%2FP1060735_zpsb4e94422.jpg

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-18-2015, 03:44 PM
I don't like it either and the slimmer solid headstock helps me prevent that. Bad hands and sloppy technique require all the help they can get :cheers:

That has as much, or more, to do with the shape of the headstock rather than the thickness. (See Doc's photo above.)

caspet
02-18-2015, 03:48 PM
A flamenco guitarist takes a view and demonstrates. Opinion starts at 1:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNiqwgzXP3U&feature=youtu.be

CeeJay
02-18-2015, 04:23 PM
My first Ukelele ..Kapok Brand Bluebird ,I think it was , had a solid head and wooden pegs .....wooden pegs that you had to ease out of their hole ...turn them ...and hold them in place as you pushed them back in ..hoping you hadn't dropped the tuning ...so anything is good in my book if it is mechanical......I like the pegs that face backward for their looks , pegheds or planetary..(I think they are called that) but they snag sausage fingers like mine...so ...just remember ...as long as they aren't wooden frigging pegs ......aghhhhhhh

Inksplosive AL
02-18-2015, 04:34 PM
I have ukuleles with geared tuners some open some sealed, others with friction tuners varying from very cheap to very expensive. Ukuleles with geared banjo style tuners, even one with a slotted headstock and one coming with wooden pegs

I like them all but the lollypop ears on my smiley. Funniest shit two on one side are mounted level to the horizon the other two were lined up to the side of the headstock heh.

There should be a third option to the poll for those of us whom it doesn't matter.

76284 76285 76286

Its well known adding mass to a guitar adds to the sustain, is this the same for ukuleles as well or a byproduct of electromagnetism with steel strings and magnetic pickups? I dont read much about brass nuts or saddles on ukuleles.

Booli
02-18-2015, 05:42 PM

Every time there is a full moon, it is time to change the strings.

http://www.nikitapisani.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/wolf-howling-at-the-moon.jpg

bborzell
02-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Kinda surprised to read so many comments about more difficulty changing strings on a slotted head. While I can think of better things to do with a uke than change strings, I see no difference in string change effort between the two head designs. I dislike changing strings on both equally.

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/2cf3511aa64b451584780d41b1846dc5.jpg

Rakelele
02-18-2015, 10:18 PM
Honestly, I don't find slotted headstocks any harder to string up.

Me too... :agree:

DownUpDave
02-18-2015, 11:23 PM
That has as much, or more, to do with the shape of the headstock rather than the thickness. (See Doc's photo above.)

I completely agree, that is why I said I like a gradual transistion taper. Doc's sample is exactely what I was taking about.........want to build me one like that Chuck, I'd take it ;)

ralphk
02-19-2015, 01:03 AM
Like others, I have now, and have had others, with both headstocks. I much prefer the normal headstock for restringing for the simple hand winder seems to catch the adjacent knob a lot. And the slotted headstock is too thick for the really nice mini tuners that can stay on the thinner normal headstock (no Shark sticking up in the air!!!). Now if I had a small drill with the appropriate tool to turn the knob, such as one sees in the shop, that would eliminate most of my annoyance with the slotted headstock.

But done well, the slotted headstock looks nice.

bborzell
02-19-2015, 04:27 AM
Like others, I have now, and have had others, with both headstocks. I much prefer the normal headstock for restringing for the simple hand winder seems to catch the adjacent knob a lot. And the slotted headstock is too thick for the really nice mini tuners that can stay on the thinner normal headstock (no Shark sticking up in the air!!!). Now if I had a small drill with the appropriate tool to turn the knob, such as one sees in the shop, that would eliminate most of my annoyance with the slotted headstock.

But done well, the slotted headstock looks nice.

Perhaps I shoould have posted a profile shot of my slotted headstock with Gotoh Stealth mini tuners. But if you back up a few posts and look real close...

Robin Harrison
02-19-2015, 05:30 AM
Here is a Kanile'a slotted head-stock; they call it their "Cobra".

dirtiestkidever
02-19-2015, 08:10 AM
Fun thread.

For no good reason whatsoever I love standard head stocks and hate slotted head stocks. I also hate stick out geared tuners. It is all personal aesthetic preference and has nothing to do with function or sound.

Everybody likes different things. That is what keeps life interesting.

fongie
02-19-2015, 10:42 AM
I like both.......

I think you should have both

VegasGeorge
02-19-2015, 03:11 PM
I think the difference is purely aesthetic, with the slotted being a bit more difficult to string. I don't find either one to be any easier or more difficult to tune. I do think the slotted headstock looks more Guitar like, whereas the tuning peg headstock looks more traditional Ukulele. I read a lot of comments questioning the tendency of modern Uke players to adopt classical Guitar styles in their playing, and I think the move toward slotted headstocks may relate to that tendency. It's as if there were a slight inference that Guitar style playing is somehow better or more sophisticated. I don't buy into that myself, but I do think it's out there.

peterbright
02-19-2015, 04:17 PM
I like the looks of slotted but prefer the non slotted ones with ears.

Trevor Phillips
04-30-2015, 11:00 PM
... I love standard head stocks and hate slotted head stocks. I also hate stick out geared tuners
Amen to that - I'll add that I like light Ukuleles and that heavy headstocks adversely affect the balance of the little instrument - physically and visually. Just my preference.
Heavier necks do increase sustain - but that's not everyone's cuppa tea.

coolkayaker1
04-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Wait, is there a way to take back my vote; I didn't understand the question. It just said "slotted headstock or regular" and I thought it was asking which I'd prefer for bashing in a cat-burglar's skull.

Hippie Dribble
04-30-2015, 11:34 PM
Ive noticed mostly most professional ukulele players have a slotted headstock, and also most high model customs have a slotted in them.

I like how the tuner knobs are facing back and not sticking out like mickey mouse ears on non slotted headstock.

If you had a choice would you want a slotted head stock on your ukulele?

From a purely aesthetic angle, I dislike slotted headstocks. They remind me of a wannabe classical guitar. I also dislike rabbits ears geared tuners. And while I'm at it I may as well trash radiused fretboards. Oh, and side sound ports as well. I just don't get em. I like simple, unadorned, traditional. Yeah, I'm an old fuddy duddy. :p

I have owned a fair few customs and none have had a slotted headstock, or sticky outy tuner thingys. Also, I'm not sure about the pro players you're talking about, but most that I know don't have slotted headstocks at all. Are you referring to the Hawaiian players mainly?

Anyway, as they/we say, each to their own. One man's ugly is another man's gorgeous, just as it should be.

stevepetergal
05-01-2015, 03:46 AM
For practicality's sake, I'd say there's very little difference. You can, of course, buy extremely expensive classical-style tuners and they'll perform better than most. But, why? You can buy very high quality tuners in either style.
My personal feelings:
I have abandoned the desire for the highest quality tuners and the highest gear-ratio tuners. It may take me an additional 10-20 seconds to tune with very high quality 4-1 tuners. Then, the ukulele is just as in-tune as it would have been if I had spent the extra money. The only reason I'd get a slotted headstock would be for show-off purposes. That's just me. I don't accuse anyone of being a showoff. In addition, knowing myself as well as I do, if I wanted to show off my slotted headstock, I wouldn't want the $200 tuners. I'd absolutely have to have the $800 set. (I'm pretty stupid, that way.) But they can look very nice.
Here's what I did instead:
Just me.

Ukejenny
05-01-2015, 06:10 AM
I really like the looks of a slotted headstock, so I votes slotted. I don't have a ukulele with a slotted headstock, but I like the tuners facing the back. Slotted or not, tuners going to the back are stylish.

Dan Uke
05-01-2015, 07:01 AM
Just me.

Wow, I actually like the look of that and UPTs are my favorite tuners.

Ukulele Eddie
05-01-2015, 07:05 AM
You need an "indifferent" or "it depends" options. Sometimes I like slotted headstock, sometimes I don't. Varies from uke to uke.