Sound ports

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
Likes, dislikes, regrets? What are your experiences?

Hi all. I am curious what people think about sound ports. I am getting a new uke (large body soprano) and trying to decide on sound port or no sound port. I have never played a uke with one. And I think ukes look better without them. But I do play for myself 99% of the time and extra sound coming right at me doesn't sound like a bad thing.

I have read some places that it doesn't detract from projection out the front and in fact just has an additive effect to volume and fullness of sound. It is a topic that has been discussed before on UU (aren't they all) but I am still curious to hear some fresh opinions.

Is there anyone that has tried them and prefers ukuleles without them? If so why?

Thanks all. Look forward to hearing your responses.

Last edited:
I have one on my MB and also a new Griffin I just received. At first I was skeptical but after having them it's something I'll always include. The projection is so much better. I'm having a jazz archtop baritone being made now by Toby Chennell of Jazzboxukes and will have one on it. This guy is a master at handcarving archtop ukes, guitars and basses.

If you don't like it, you can always just put tape over the hole.

If I have the option, I like to get them. It does direct some of the sound up to the player, so you do get a better sense of what your uke sounds like.

to me, if it dosnt have some kind of purfling or rossete around the hole it just looks like well I giant hole on the side of the ukulele. also the shape and size to consider, ive seen some ugly shaped side port and terribly placed making it look worst. with these two combination most people are gonna say why is there a big hole on the side of the ukulele. lol

also I believe the extra opening on the side or anywhere on the ukulele is gonna effect the sound a bit. ive heard that opening a hole on the bass side can help even out the boomy ness of the C string. so the side port not done right could possibly affect the tone or sound your looking for. hope the builder is experienced.

I used to dislike the look of a side sound port, mostly because on cheaper ukes they look like a wound. However, an SSP makes a huge difference in what the player hears, and I think it may even add to volume, clarity, and brilliance in sound overall. If the hole is visually well integrated into the design of a uke, I don't even mind the looks anymore.

I have one on my MB and also a new Griffin I just received. At first I was skeptical but after having them it's something I'll always include. The projection is so much better. I'm having a jazz archtop baritone being made now by Toby Chennell of Jazzboxukes and will have one on it. This guy is a master at handcarving archtop ukes, guitars and basses.

If you don't like it, you can always just put tape over the hole.

I agree. When I first got the MB I thought it was more of a style feature. Now when I play another uke I really miss it. Have you ever had someone else play you're uke so you could near how it really sounds? With a sound hole the sound to the one playing is so much better and it doesn't seem to take away from the front projection.

I just got my new Hive Hornet tenor uke last week. Jake Maclay put a sound port on the upper side bout.

I love it! It does indeed focus sound up to the player's ear which is very nice. And I noticed that the boominess of the C string is virtually gone. I don't know if this is Jake's superior luthier skills or the physics of the sound port - either way I am very happy.

Focusing the sound towards my ears has made me less likely to amplify the uke when I play it around the house.

I'm an advocate. There is no question that they direct clearer sound up to the player. Like anything else, a skilled builder should be able match a beautiful form to this very functional addition.

Doug, I played a Kinnard sorpano with side port and very much liked it. Given the option at a reasonable cost, I would elect to have it.

I don't like looking into a sound port (much like seeing how our laws are made), but I'd really like to have one—maybe on the lower bout, where it'd be less visually distracting as I play. I've only been able to play one uke with a sound port, but I loved the more direct sound. After all, we mostly play just to ourselves, so we should get to hear the best sound.

I had someone play one of my ukes and I was astounded at how nice it sounded when I was out in front of the uke. So I had one added to my new Tenor with Englemann Spruce Top and Brazilian Rosewood Back and Sides - Brian matched the ring to the flamed maple binding, here's a picture. Sounds every nice to hear the uke the way it really sounds.Sound Port Griff2.jpg

I had someone play one of my ukes and I was astounded at how nice it sounded when I was out in front of the uke. So I had one added to my new Tenor with Englemann Spruce Top and Brazilian Rosewood Back and Sides - Brian matched the ring to the flamed maple binding, here's a picture. Sounds every nice to hear the uke the way it really sounds.View attachment 76240

Yes, I would like that as well.....when I play the uke does not sound as nice as hearing it from the "front".

so... is there a downside other than aesthetic for some?
It seems like something that should be inexpensive to add in the overall scheme of things.
And yet, it's not something offered on the K's, or even many of the more mainstream brands.
Amahi makes some with ports, but i've never tried an Amahi/snail I liked, even in the traditional hole.

Well, this certainly is a timely thread. Thanks to the OP and all you posters. Today I almost called my luthier about putting a side soundport in my cheap laminate, as an expirement. My SO's Riptide has it, and it sounds pretty cool. ALL Riptide ukes have em, and they're not bad ukes. A friend of ours bought one because he liked my GF's. They both have pretty small front sound holes, as does my cheap Kala, so I think I must go ahead with it, after reading what you guys say here. I strummed the Kala while it was sitting on the table in front of me, and that's the first time I thought it sounded good.

Top Bottom