Southcoast Soft Strings

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Southcoast offered a sample package of a number of its medium strings so I got it to try the range of strings. My fingers were a little sore from playing too much so I decided to try the soft strings on my Kanilea.

Boy I really don't like them. The thick feeling reminds me of Aquilas and the sound is a lot deader. I guess they just aren't for me. I think I'll leave them on a few weeks just to see if they grow on me.

Anyone tried them and liked them.

Did you use the soft-lights or soft-mediums? Volume definitely compromised a little if you're going to use the soft lights. Less tension. Soft-mediums are my favourite incarnation of Dirk's string sets for both comfort and tone. But with strings generally I find it's always handy to have a number of different varieties on hand in order to find the best match for a particular uke.

I tried both the soft light medium and medium. Love the latter, did not care for the soft light mediums at all. Found them, well, too soft (noodle-y) to the touch for my taste and lacking in sound.

What scale uke is it? I have the soft mediums on both an Ohana and Iriguchi tenor, both tuned to Bb. I like the sound and the feel of that setup and I've never been a fan of Aquilas. I've been meaning to try some non-lights just to see what the difference is but haven't gotten around to it.

I guess it's simply personal preference. I love the soft mediums on pretty much every uke I've ever used em on mate.

Top Bottom