Roosbeck Baroqulele

AJ Hill

Reaction score
A friend of mine has just ordered one of these ,,,I haven't heard of them my self , and just wondered what the wonderful people of the Ukulele Underground thought of these ukes ,,,I had a quick look and they look very nice but have a feeling the curved back though very nice looking may make it cumbersome

A few threads already exist here on UU for this one. A search of the forum using both or either of the words in the title of this thread should reveal them.

I've not owned nor played one of these myself, but IIRC, due to the bowl-shaped back it's quite hard to hold without a strap, and some have said that the sound is muted, muddy and/or low volume.

Also, the ones with wooden tuning pegs will be a problem to tune easily unless you already love and understand/enjoy the use of wooden friction tuners like those in an 18th century violin.

I was interested at one time because I thought it looked cool, but due to the reviews and comments that left me with the above impression, I felt it was way too much money to spend for something with those issues, and that I would seldom play it, and would rather spend the SAME money for a different uke that has a better function, sound, playability, without having to make so many compromises.

HOWEVER, YMMV...

Never even seen one for sale used here on UU in almost 2 yrs since I joined, so my guess is either they became fancy, never-played wallhangers, or got used as firewood.

Thanks Booli you are a very helpful fella and also very knowledgable , in future I will use the search option

Thanks Booli you are a very helpful fella and also very knowledgable , in future I will use the search option

No problem. I try to help when I can. Here's another suggestion-

Sometimes the search function here can be a bit obtuse, but you can use google or duckduckgo (or whatever is your fave search engine) to search this forum as well, in their search box, just use the following syntax:

"Roosbeck Baroqulele" site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com

exactly as shown, putting terms together in quotes will search for the exact phrase, instead of just words that are somewhere on the page, and by putting a domain name after the 'site:' part, it directs the search specific to that web site, instead of the entire internet...

to search anything else on this site, replace the "Roosbeck Baroqulele" with other words, and to search another web site, just replace

forum.ukuleleunderground.com

with the url of that site.

In either case, the http:// part is unnecessary...

most browsers can also do the same search, as well as any other directly from the address bar from the top of the browser (where you see the http:// part typically), and you can just copypasta the above text in my example right into the address bar to perform the search, by highlighting the terms, then do a CTRL-C (or on Mac, CMD-C) to copy, click in the address bar, and then to CTRL-P (or on Mac CMD-P) to paste and then press enter to execute the command. :)

Last edited:
I played a soprano just a while ago and if I had money to burn I'd have one hanging on my wall. It's beautiful to look at.

ETA: I'm sorry, I never played a Roosbeck. I played a MidEast. Carry on. ;)

Yes, no doubt they look very nice.

IIRC, Mid-East (Trading Company??) is one of the main importers/resellers for the Roosebeck instruments in the USA.

See more of this brand from their site here.

also, checking their site, expiring Feb 28 (in 9 days from this post), they have a special of 15% off orders of $25 or more, which you can see if you scroll to the bottom of this page.

further, in case anyone is interested, the Roosebeck web site is here.

Baroqulele

The ad on eBay was to become ripe on SuperBowl Sunday. There was no minimum bid. What was the high bid was $35.00. I thought that was outrageous, so to dignify the sale I bid $75.00. Monday morning there was a notice I had won my auction. I had to go back and see what they were talking about. It is lacewood/rosewood bowl with the wooden pegs. I got it for $66.00 It now has PEGHEDS mounted across the pegbox. I had to cut down a tapering tool so it would only go the width of one side. A fellow was visiting last week and I put it in his hand. It was impressed with its look, its feel and its sound. That was a comment from a guitar player It is strung with Aquila white low d and gbe rather than GCEA. Change it's strings, and even consider changing its voice and it a genuine musical instrument... not a wall hanger. With the laser cut hole, it is useless as an air fern flower pot.

Have also heard one, and it was quite quiet. I figured that if I had one, I'd use Aquilas, amplify it, and use a chorus pedal on it.

Top Bottom