• Ohana CK-25S

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Kala KA-ACP-CTG

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dlknight

Reaction score
First off I have no Uke Stores remotely close to me. Meaning nothing under a 4 hour drive. Other than Guitar Center and a couple of Mom and Pop places that carry 3 or 4 Ukes. This will be my first Uke. Well I did have one about 5 years ago but work and a lot of other things got in the way so I sold it.

I am going to go with Mim. She emailed me a few to look at and I have narrowed it down to these 2 ukes in my price range. $200-$250 Here are links for both. Both Ukes are Concert size.

Kala KA-ACP-CTG: http://www.kalabrand.com/Models/Kala/SolidCedarTopAcacia/DetailsPageSpruceCedarAcacia.html

Ohana CK-25S: http://www.ohana-music.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29804

Kala KA-ACP-CTG: cacia back and sides
Slotted Headstock
Multi-Layered Headstock cap with carved Kala logo
Padauk Rosette and binding on top, back and fingerboard
18 Silver Nickel Frets
Fret position Marks at 5th,7th,10th and 12th frets on neck and top of fingerboard
Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge
Mahogany neck
Gloss Finish
Grover chrome Vintage tuners

Ohana CK-25S: Solid Mahogany Top, Back & Sides
Rosewood Fingerboard & Bridge
Rosewood Head Overlay
Precision Nickle Friction Tuners
Bone Saddle and Nut

Last edited:
Smart choice to buy from Mim. I have purchased two ukes from her and they were both seamless transactions. The ukes came set-up perfectly.

I am sure you will be pleased with either uke. I have not owned an Ohana yet but hope to one day.

I own a few Kala's and love them. It is actually ironic that I have spent a bit of money on ukes, including a Clara, but I spend most of my time playing my Kala Soprano.

Go figure!

Last edited:
I've bought two Ohanas from Mim and a third Ohana from the UU Marketplace. They're great ukes. My first uke was a Kala, which was fine, but I've enjoyed the Ohanas more. Mim will take care of you, no matter what you select.

I picked up my new Kala ACP CTG last night - it fits the bill for me. I did a few net searches, reviews etc and managed to find one in a shop to look at and strum a little. I don't know how it compares to the Ohana, but I think you'll be happy with the Kala. Good luck. Incidentally, I paid $375 for mine (Australia) - so $250 sounds like a bargain!

I just picked up a Ohana SK-25 off this forum for my nephew. I gave it a try before I passed it along as I had never played an Ohana before. I was amazed at how well it played and sounded! And this is basically their entry level solid body uke. I would definitely buy another Ohana. I haven't played a Kala (although my daughter does have a Makala Shark), so can't comment on them but I hear good things. Either way, Mim will set you up and I am sure you will be happy with either choice. Maybe check out some YouTube videos to get an idea of their sounds and which one appeals to you more (keep in mind different people will have different recording equipment that may alter the sound).

Enjoy the Uke!!

I own a KA-SEM, a KA-PU-SSFM and a KA-SCG I bought used that was supposed to have been sold and set up by Mim. The action is perfect so a very good setup was done. The Kala you point to is a step up from mine a very nice looking instrument and from the ones I own I would expect a very nice sounding/playing one as well.

~peace~

They are both very good ukuleles and the fact you are getting from Mim, your golden. Here is how to pick.............which one do you love the look of, seriously. Both will sound good and play well, so go with the one you have a crush on, the one you get giddy just looking at.

Both would do you good, especially if you get it from Mim. Personally I generally like Ohanas over Kalas

Keep us posted

Ohana for tone, Kala for looks, but you can't lose either way. I personally like the Kala. Depends on how important cosmetics are to you.

Yeah, the best selection you made was Mim. You can't go wrong. I have two Kalas and one Ohana, and honestly I can't tell you which is my fave. I think my next one might be another Ohana, and will probably come from Mim.
Of the two you're contemplating, the Kala is the sexiest looking!
Good luck!

Top Bottom