small planes

gspears

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been using chisels to shape my bracing and tone bars. I was thinking of buying a small plane to have greater control. I see several on eBay, but who knows if they are quality or junk. Do any of you have a recommendation for a small plane to work bracing and tone bars?

Thanks, Greg

I use both of these for brace work. The ebony plane is a Chinese item from eBay. I added an insert to the throat to tighten up the mouth, but otherwise great value. The blade is a lot better than you might expect.
The Veritas miniature plane may be a luxury, but it isn't a toy and works very well indeed.
P1070265.jpg

Chuck, Which sizes do you use the most? or do you just have one "go to" plane?

Gary, I use one plane only, exclusively for tuning braces after the top is glued to the sides It is: Ibex Finger Plane #50503. The blade is 12mm wide. I use this plane sparingly and only for the use mentioned. I've had it for over 10 years and have never found the need (yet) to sharpen the blade.

Great info everyone. Thank you. I've done a little research and have decided on two planes. I purchased the Veritas miniature block plane that Wildestcat recommended, and I purchased the Ibex 12mm x 36mm plane that Chuck uses. cant wait for them to get here. I am building a kasha braced ukulele right now, so the Ibex will get used right away.

Top Bottom