PDA

View Full Version : Binding Woes



MichaelPfenning
02-19-2015, 06:45 PM
Today was my first attempt at wood binding. I needed more hands. I think my main problem was the sides not being perpendicular to the top. It threw off my grove and when I cleaned up the binding I came dangerously close to sanding threw. I made add my own jig for cutting the grove using a table mounted router and a 1/4inch down spiral bit. It worked pretty good. I'll try to post a picture when I get it tweaked a bit

Kanaka916
02-20-2015, 05:42 AM
For better responses/replies, I moved it here to the Ukulele Building/Luthier Lounge . . . Just an FYI, there is a description of each Forum on the UU Forum page (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forum.php).

ksquine
02-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Yep....if the sides aren't square you'll have problems. By the time you get to binding, all the earlier errors building the box show up.
The router is a good rough cut for the channel but you have to dry-fit the bindings and make adjustments here and there. Then dry-fit again and make more adjustments.....then again and again.