ukulele building suppliers?

giants1950

Reaction score
Hi. I'm brand new to building ukes as a hobby. I've promised my 4 grandkids that if they work with me, I'll help them build ukuleles from scratch, rather than from kits.

I've purchased wood from what I think are reliable and honest sources, plus some tools from Stewmac and LMI.

What I'm really looking for are suppliers that focus on ukulele materials and parts (e.g., nuts and saddles--not already grooved). Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

If Stew-Mac and LMI don't have it then you probably don't need it. They supply (almost everything) everything you need... My suggestion: Don't over think the situation. Your local hardware store will have most of the things you need. Just start to build the darn thing... That said, the one thing your local hardware store will not have is violin clamps to clamp the bridge. They don't carry these thangs at Home Depot. Have fun!

I get bone for nuts and saddles from China via ebay. Lots of great sources for materials beyond S-M and LMI, but specific vendors vary depending on what you're looking for. Try Hana Lima Ia if you're just starting out and need general uke parts from a single source.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Very useful (especially about not over-thinking!)

Top Bottom