Toxic Claro Walnut?

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I hand bent some Claro walnut yesterday. The wood seemed to give off a cynoacrylate type fume that had my eyes stinging by the end. Anyone else noticed this or do I have to clean the bending iron?

The dust from it really bothers my skin and makes my eyes itch.But I have not had any problems when bending but i have not bent it on a hot pipe.It dose leave a bit of residue on my bending slats

There is a great chart on the website "The Wood Database", an excellent reference starting point for wood characteristics: http://www.wood-database.com/

Here is what the toxicity database has to say about Claro Walnut:

Other species in the Juglans genus (such as Black, and English Walnut) have been reported as sensitizers, and Claro Walnut is likely to generate similar allergic reactions. Usually most common reactions simply include eye and skin irritation. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.

Interestinly, one of the most toxic woods is Lignum vitae which can cause nasty neurological symptoms.

I came across across this piece of calro walnut offered as a soundboard top. Interesting grain pattern no? Could be toxic...

15647.jpg

Top Bottom