tuning my baritone

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgia

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to baritone ukulele, and I have a set of high G,C,E,A strings, but I don't know how to tune them. Where do these notes lie in relation to middle C? I would really appreciate any help! thanks

Hi, I'm new to baritone ukulele, and I have a set of high G,C,E,A strings, but I don't know how to tune them. Where do these notes lie in relation to middle C? I would really appreciate any help! thanks

GCEA tuning is "unusual" for a baritone ... are you sure you've got the correct strings for your instrument?

Assuming they are correct, the A string (on a soprano/concert/tenor ukulele) tunes to 440hz.

I admit I'm not totally sure where "middle C" sits in the scheme of things, but if my arithmetic is correct, the "C" in a "normal" GCEA set is middle C (261.6hz).

Doubtless someone will chime in if I'm an octave out ;)

Yes, these are not the typical baritone strings, but they are a standard variant. I think now they get tuned to the same pitch as the concert and soprano ukes. If anyone knows differently, please let me know.

Yes, these are not the typical baritone strings, but they are a standard variant. I think now they get tuned to the same pitch as the concert and soprano ukes. If anyone knows differently, please let me know.

Yes, I think that's correct, but it may sound different. I bought my baritone for its low tones though; if one tunes it up to hi-GCEA, he/she might just as well have bought another tenor.

An aside: If my name was Georgia, I'd learn Ray Charle's "Georgia" as soon as I could--great song! :eek:ld:

If you're tuning your baritone to GCEA then the third string is middle C.

With typical baritone tuning (DGBE) middle C is at the first fret of the second (B) string.

Yep, normal C tuning. The C set for a bari. doesn't really drive the soundboard IMO but Glen Rose uses that tuning for his baritone jazz books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom