Picks?

DylanHess

Reaction score
Looking at peoples opinion of picks. i Have some fat felt picks, and i like the mellow sound it gives off. What other kinds of picks are good?

most don't use them so u have the versatility to switch from chord strum to multiple finger picking. Just use a pick for now if you're a beginner, i use to actually use a normal plastic guitar pick, but I tried not to get use to it enough that I depend on it, after u get accustom to ur strumming patterns u need to throw the pick away IMO.

Last edited:
no picks are good picks.(for ukulele of course)

its so much easier to pick out different tunes VERY fast with just your fingers.

even strumming is better.

all you have to do it grow your nails out a little bit and you have picks right there!

gahhh im soo confused when it comes to strumming!
its there like a video somehwere to show how you strum with your fingers because it sounds so awkward when i do it =/

gahhh im soo confused when it comes to strumming!
its there like a video somehwere to show how you strum with your fingers because it sounds so awkward when i do it =/

Many people strum with their pointer finger. I find that I like the sound when I strum with my thumb bec. the nail hits the strings a bit on the upward strum.

The only downside to strumming with the thumb is that you can't do Aldrine's "matrix" strum bec. it is too fast and requires the pointer finger movement....in my opinion at least...

Start with this strum. It can be applied to so many songs.
Down Down Up Up Down (pause slightly and repeat)

Also, the strum is in the wrist......your arm should NOT be moving much at all..

Hope that helps you get started!:D

Last edited:
just like ukestar said when u strum its easier to strum with jus the pointer figure, keeping a loose fist, your thumb will rest above your pointer finger for more comfort and stability. also to practice strumming more effectively, take maybe 5 mins of practice time, mute the fretboard by covering it with ur hand and jus practice ur strumming motion, try to just go up and down first, and as ur motor skill gets better for the ukulele strumming switch it up a bit and do variations. singing while strumming will take awhile if u havent played a guitar or any other string instrument, took me like 3 weeks i think to actually get that motor memory to work simultaneously with singing.

alternative strum: some put their thumb and pointer together, but i never had much luck with that.

yeah ive been trying it out a lot now im starting to get used to strumming index down thumb up so its good, thanks!

On the other hand, I have yet to hear anyone (yes, including Jake) play single note solos with fingers anywhere near as fast or clean as guys who use picks (see Frank Gambale, or Zakk Wylde, or Jimmy Bruno, or Yngwie Malmsteem or any number metal/jazz/bluegrass rock guitar/mandolin players) Speed isn't everything though... I know a lot of really fast players that are boring to listen to.

Two of the most famous pick players for the uke would be Abe Lagrimas, and Lyle Ritz. I think I saw the guy playing Paganini on youtube playing with a pick too.

i dont really like growing my nails so i use a pick. im not much for strumming on the uke for some reason. I'm really into the leads and adlibing, so the pick works out for me. now my brother Nukedoc, hes got that strumming thing down. hes got the shredded nails and everything! haha!

Aldrine has a good quick tip on iamhawaii.com featuring Jake.

so... fingers whenever possible, and use picks when doing hard or fast solos?

I like to use my ring finger to strum, for a more mellow sound. I use my index finger for when I want more volume. I use the side of my pinkie finger to match the very mellow sound that you get with a felt pick but dont have one handy

Top Bottom