should i buy a resonator?

I considered getting one so that when I play with a piano I wouldn't get drown-out. Unfortunately all the feedback I've gotten on the Recording King is that it isn't any louder than are regular uke. A better option, for me at least, seems like a Kala Archtop with pickup & small amp... Much Cooler too :shaka:
If I had to be completely honest with myself, my Ohana Vita probably is loud enough without electronics.... damn UAS!

A resonator uke is going to sound vastly different from a laminated or solid wood ukulele. It's difficult to describe other than that it's going to sound metallic.
Here's a soundfile of my National mahogany concert. National is supposed to be the best of the breed, so if it doesn't do it for you, probably no resonator uke is going to do it.

Mya-Moe Resonator Ukuleles

Hi--just came across your post. My wife & I make mya-moe ukuleles, including resonators. There's a few YouTubes (or you can go to our video page). We use National cones, but designed them to be more "woody" than the nationals (Don Young, owner & president of National owns one of ours).

should you buy one? yes.
then you should not like it much, and offer to sell it to me at 1/6 the purchase price. this sounds like a good plan to me.

Hi--just came across your post. My wife & I make mya-moe ukuleles, including resonators. There's a few YouTubes (or you can go to our video page). We use National cones, but designed them to be more "woody" than the nationals (Don Young, owner & president of National owns one of ours).

how much do you charge.. and do you have a website? or ebay page? how about posting some pics.. i love the bluegrass sound..

d

should you buy one? yes.
then you should not like it much, and offer to sell it to me at 1/6 the purchase price. this sounds like a good plan to me.

And should YOU not like it much, I will pay you 1/6 of that price.

People helping people, makes me feel good.

I looked at one of Mya-Moe's resonators at Pioneer Music in Portland, Oregon. It is beautiful, just beautiful! Sounded just as good as its looks.

Hey, MyaMoe, great to see you here! I own one of your resos, and it is fantastic. I also own a few National guitars, including one of Don's Maple Reso Ukes. Honestly, I like my Mya Moe more! I hope to meet you guys somewhere sometime. Fabulous instruments!

67846-DSC_0037.JPG

Listen to any recordings by Del Rey. She uses a reso uke exclusively (when she's not playing a reso guitar).

Last edited:
Top Bottom