Ohana sk-38

diggersmom32

Reaction score
I have been playing uke a year. I do not play other stringed instruments. I recently bought an Ohana soprano. I really like the sound but I wish it had geared tuners. Anyone ever had pegs changed on an Ohana?

I love the Gotoh UPTs. I've had them installed on two of my ukes and they're so smooth and I like that they don't stick out to the sides like geared tuners too. Classy look with smooth and easy feel....definitely best of both worlds.

for less than $20 you can get some grovers, if you have a drill and a screw driver you can install them yourself.

If you like the vintage look but want geared, Pegheds are another great option. They're geared (4:1) but look like friction pegs.

for less than $20 you can get some grovers, if you have a drill and a screw driver you can install them yourself.
You may not even need a drill. The Grovers may well fit right away.

:drool: Yummy I really want some of these on my Ohana....the friction tuners are tedious!

Should be a pretty straightforward install.

Remove strings, remove old tuners, put the upt's on, restring. Good chance that's what will be involved....I recently replaced tuners with quality friction tuners and it was easy-peasy.

The friction pegs were smaller on my ukes so the holes had to be drilled a bit bigger since the UPT shaft is larger. I took mine to a local guitar/uke shop and had them install it.

Funny , as soon as I got my Ohana sk-20s soprano , the first thing I did was remove those hideous :) geared tuners and replaced them with friction tuners.

Last edited:
Funny , as soon as I got my Ohana sk-20s soprano , the first thing I did was remove those hideous :drool: geared tuners and replaced them with friction tuners.

If the OP wants to install themselves, Mainland and Gotoh sell high quality friction tuners for around $20 ... that's what I used to swap out on my C1K ... Mainland has more options (at least that I found).

Top Bottom