PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Bracing: Revolutionary New System or Pipe Dream?

sequoia
02-21-2015, 07:12 PM
In reply to an earlier post that I was over-bracing, I cranked up the stereo, sharpened my chisels, had a smoke, and did this:

Note the Triple Hemi-Semi-Spherical Humped and Radioused Cross Bracing that I'm calling the MASHI System: Mutiple Accousitc Systemic Hemispherical Integrated system. I have high hopes that this ukulele will be a rocket cannon. Feel free to copy this system free of copyright restrictions.

Michael N.
02-22-2015, 02:51 AM
Afraid it's been done before, just like many other forms of bracing/harmonic bars. It's pretty difficult to get original with this sort of stuff.

BlackBearUkes
02-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Those transverse braces are the one you need to worry less about. IMO you have too much wood there, I would shave that middle hump completely off. Hope that isn't too harsh.

In reply to an earlier post that I was over-bracing, I cranked up the stereo, sharpened my chisels, had a smoke, and did this:

Note the Triple Hemi-Semi-Spherical Humped and Radioused Cross Bracing that I'm calling the MASHI System: Mutiple Accousitc Systemic Hemispherical Integrated system. I have high hopes that this ukulele will be a rocket cannon. Feel free to copy this system free of copyright restrictions.

sequoia
02-22-2015, 07:46 AM
No, not harsh at all. I can take it. Actually I was just having a little fun at Michael Kasha's expense (RIP Michael) and his theories of molecular excitation... And yes, there is nothing that somebody hasn't tried with acoustic stringed instruments... And I agree that the fan bracing is awfully crude and could be taken down.

Anyway, post just meant as tongue in cheek...

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-23-2015, 06:31 AM
im not worried about the two transverse braces (above and below the soundhole)- i like em sturdy so i never have to worry about movement. I wouldn't bother getting tonally creative with them (by carving them into creative shapes). Top vibrations stop (more or less) at the lower one.