Fun with Bracing: Revolutionary New System or Pipe Dream?

sequoia

Reaction score
In reply to an earlier post that I was over-bracing, I cranked up the stereo, sharpened my chisels, had a smoke, and did this:

DSCN5857.jpg

Note the Triple Hemi-Semi-Spherical Humped and Radioused Cross Bracing that I'm calling the MASHI System: Mutiple Accousitc Systemic Hemispherical Integrated system. I have high hopes that this ukulele will be a rocket cannon. Feel free to copy this system free of copyright restrictions.

Those transverse braces are the one you need to worry less about. IMO you have too much wood there, I would shave that middle hump completely off. Hope that isn't too harsh.

In reply to an earlier post that I was over-bracing, I cranked up the stereo, sharpened my chisels, had a smoke, and did this:

View attachment 76456

Note the Triple Hemi-Semi-Spherical Humped and Radioused Cross Bracing that I'm calling the MASHI System: Mutiple Accousitc Systemic Hemispherical Integrated system. I have high hopes that this ukulele will be a rocket cannon. Feel free to copy this system free of copyright restrictions.

No, not harsh at all. I can take it. Actually I was just having a little fun at Michael Kasha's expense (RIP Michael) and his theories of molecular excitation... And yes, there is nothing that somebody hasn't tried with acoustic stringed instruments... And I agree that the fan bracing is awfully crude and could be taken down.

Anyway, post just meant as tongue in cheek...

im not worried about the two transverse braces (above and below the soundhole)- i like em sturdy so i never have to worry about movement. I wouldn't bother getting tonally creative with them (by carving them into creative shapes). Top vibrations stop (more or less) at the lower one.

Top Bottom