Fret Board Oil

MichaelPfenning

Reaction score
I know Ive been told to use lemon oil on the fret board, and there is a variety of other products out their. Why can't you put 2 coats of tru-oil on. I know its not pure oil but it does offer protection and it does contain linseed oil. I put it on some gun stocks and it still looks good and it doesn't chip or peal. the finish is very close to the wood.

Last edited:
Lemon oil is absorbed by the fretboard and "moisturizes" it. Tru Oil (and similar finishes) form a hard film on top of the wood. A Tru-Oiled fretboard will look good until the hard film is worn through by fingers and fingernails, after which it will look terrible.

When I worked in music stores, we used clarinet bore oil. Wood clarinets are unfinished "type" of rosewood.

Lemon oil is lemon oil is lemon oil. Only when it is put in little bottles with fancy labels marketed to us it is then safe for instrument use. hah!

I beg to differ here a little bit here. "Lemon Oil" comes in two flavors: Synthetic made from petroleum distillates that mimic the molecule very closely and an oil made from real lemon rinds. Both flavors are probably mixed with an aromatic synthetic carrier, but gosh darnit, I like the idea of real lemons on my fretboards. It is an aesthetic thing to me. Whether it makes a difference is highly debatable and and the answer is: probably not much. Oh, and the mark-up charged for real lemon oil is ridiculous I agree. What is important here is that "Lemon Pledge" bears no resemblance to the above preparations in anyway and is a witches brew of petroleum distillates, with a whole lotta wax and an artificial lemon fragrance. NOT to be put on fretboards. Nor anywhere else including your furniture. Terrible stuff.

I beg to differ here a little bit here. "Lemon Oil" comes in two flavors: Synthetic made from petroleum distillates that mimic the molecule very closely and an oil made from real lemon rinds. Both flavors are probably mixed with an aromatic synthetic carrier, but gosh darnit, I like the idea of real lemons on my fretboards. It is an aesthetic thing to me. Whether it makes a difference is highly debatable and and the answer is: probably not much. Oh, and the mark-up charged for real lemon oil is ridiculous I agree. What is important here is that "Lemon Pledge" bears no resemblance to the above preparations in anyway and is a witches brew of petroleum distillates, with a whole lotta wax and an artificial lemon fragrance. NOT to be put on fretboards. Nor anywhere else including your furniture. Terrible stuff.

Do you seriously believe that real cold pressed essential oil of lemons is used in any fretboard oil for anything other than a fragrance? I wouldn't rub a lemon on my instrument would you? Sadly the markup for "instrument grade" lemon oil is marketing based after putting it into a small bottle.

Who mentioned Pledge? I linked to Old English lemon oil on my end. Does the link show pledge to anyone? Can you show me lemon oil for wood or fret boards calling itself lemon oil that doesn't contain petroleum distillates?

Lemon pledge or better yet Behold is great stuff for changing motorcycle tires and its safe for bare aluminum rims unlike soap. :)

Now this is interesting seems like its only mineral oil after all. http://www.gjfood.com/pdf/msds/119_821570.pdf Not even enough lemon or other ingredients to bother counting.

Possibly destroying my illusions of essential lemon oils (sob!). And no, I wouldn't rub a lemon on my instrument. However, I feel the urge to do a Boy Scout experiment and make my own lemon oil... Mash up a bunch of lemon peals in a blender. I have a lemon tree by the way so supply is not a problem,. Ignore wife who complains of the smell. Heat gently to drive off water and skim off oil. Filter. Mix with ethenol. Make a Margarita with left over ethenol adding a tiny bit of lemon oil product to taste. Put resultant product on a scrap of cheap rosewood material and note result. I'll get back with you...

Boy scout? Though I was a boy scout a very longtime ago its OK no worries here you're talking to another Mad Scientist. Currently I'm into coffee but I've been known to love me some black iced tea. Your mix sounds like it would do well with some cold black tea. Add ethanol to taste and one or two later whats any of it matter. lol

I killed it for myself as rubbing mineral oil on a fretboard reads a zero on the excitement factor scale. I use mineral oil on a couple iron tattoo machines to battle rust. ;)

My understanding is that most lemon oils on the market today are mineral oil with lemon fragrance added. About 25 years ago, I had questioned the boys at Ken Smith Basses (they were big at the time for their oil finishes and such) on this very topic and they had said the best thing for fingerboards was HEAVY mineral oil. It's not the easiest to find but I've been using it since then with good results and no problems.

Top Bottom