Ker-BRANGGGGGGG!

Cfiimei

Reaction score
That's the sound my Martin LX1 made, quite loudly, about 2 feet behind my head. Examination revealed a large crack on the soundboard from the bridge to the tail, with a smaller crack next to it. This instrument is just a wall hanger, but it does serve as a warning, and sent me scurrying to make sure all of my humidifiers were well soaked in my players. Humidity is 22% in the room. This is a first for me, I've never HEARD an instrument crack like that before. This one has been on the wall for years, but I keep it tuned just so I can play it once and a while to remind me why it gets wall duty. (The neck is too narrow and the outside strings hang right over the edge of the frets. I built a new nut to fix that but then the spacing was too tight... Plus i only gave $75 for it.)

It's still winter, check those humidifiers.
image.jpg

Oh my, that would be unnerving to hear! It's important for us in the Cold North to keep our ukes humidified for these few months. When I finally move to Hawaii, I'll happily give my humidifiers away.

Oh my, that would be unnerving to hear! It's important for us in the Cold North to keep our ukes humidified for these few months. When I finally move to Hawaii, I'll happily give my humidifiers away.

It only took one trip to Maui to convince me that would be an awesome place to live. :)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

Same thing happened go my Lanikai monkey pod tenor cutaway while I was procrastinating my conversion of a bookshelf into a humidor cabinet. You know I finished it the next day.

Monkeypod crack.jpg
Shelf recent 1.jpg

[Hey mike, how is that one board even holding all those ukuleles and books on top of that single shelf. Looks like its gonna bend and fall? I hope its not mdf.

QUOTE=kohanmike;1655223]Same thing happened go my Lanikai monkey pod tenor cutaway while I was procrastinating my conversion of a bookshelf into a humidor cabinet. You know I finished it the next day.

Monkeypod crack.jpg
Shelf recent 1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

<sarcasm>but but but..... humidity cracking is an urban legend to make people buy sponges they don't really need.....</sarcasm>

Even with a whole house humidifier, I'm down to 38% even though I've got my humidifier set to 55%. This current cold snap is nasty. I've been leaving them cased... "just in case" ba dum pum.

Uhm I've been running a room humidifier in my studio room and while I've had to fill it more than usual this winter here in New England it's been keeping up he humidity at 45% for my wall of Ukes.

I don't use individual humidifiers except when I travel with a Uke.

No issues since 2009

<sarcasm>but but but..... humidity cracking is an urban legend to make people buy sponges they don't really need.....</sarcasm>

It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Uhm I've been running a room humidifier in my studio room and while I've had to fill it more than usual this winter here in New England it's been keeping up he humidity at 45% for my wall of Ukes.

I don't use individual humidifiers except when I travel with a Uke.

No issues since 2009

Yes, that's the best option when you have a wall of ukes. But I only have 3, and one is laminate. So I use Oasis humidifiers for the solid ukes, cheap sponge for the laminate (don't want the fretboard to dry out).

I had never had a problem with any of my instruments for 34 years... until this winter.

New house with a drier heating system, extreme cold and the fact that I was out of town for a month combined to produce an almost identical crack in my Taylor GS mini. Scared the hell out of my wife.

It's a very clean crack that is certainly repairable, but it should never have happened.

I had never had a problem with any of my instruments for 34 years... until this winter.

New house with a drier heating system, extreme cold and the fact that I was out of town for a month combined to produce an almost identical crack in my Taylor GS mini. Scared the hell out of my wife.

It's a very clean crack that is certainly repairable, but it should never have happened.

Ouch! I would cry if my GS Mini cracked. That is my go-to guitar. They sound phenomenal for their size. (Running to check the humidifier)

Ouch! I would cry if my GS Mini cracked. That is my go-to guitar. They sound phenomenal for their size. (Running to check the humidifier)

Had I been home, I would have noticed the sinking of the bridge well before it had cracked. Jam humidifying the hell out of it now. We'll see how that crack looks once it is back to normal.

I'm glad to be in Floriduh, nice and moist here. Right now there's so much fog.....
My solid mahog cracked, the same way, but I think it's because the bridge lifted. It was repaired and sounds fine, just looks weird now. I didn't hear it crack, we weren't home.

Top Bottom