Keepers: Baritone size...

drbekken

Reaction score
I'll beat you to it, katysax...which baritones are keepers?
Anyone?

(I will keep my Rogue baritone forever. It's lowdown, funky and bluesy, but it took some work to be playable. It's not what you might call a 'professional standard' ukulele. That's probably why I like it.)

I bought my first baritone earlier this year and - now I've sorted out the soundboard pickup I had fitted - I don't feel I'll ever need another: it's a Pono Mango :love:

I'm partial to tenors and baritones, so my baritones are keepers:

Kamaka H4 baritone
Kamaka H48 8-string baritone
Compass Rose steel string mini jumbo baritone
Compass Rose octave lower (low GCEA) mini jumbo baritone
Mya Moe 6-string mahogany baritone
Mya Moe myrtle baritone (although I am considering selling this one)

Last edited:
who all makes 19" scale baris? most seem to be 20+.

I love my Brüko bari and I think the scale is a little shorter than others.

My Kamaka is a definite keeper for me. It will go out the door feet first with me. LOL

I am looking to pick up a RBSHC Spruce top in about 4 weeks from a new shipment of Ponos from Andrew at HMS. I am hopeful this will do it for me for a long time.

However, I would look at a Kamaka Baritone and have the fret board re-done possibly with a radius by Klin Reece in Hawaii ... that guy is amazing.

My hand-decorated Lanikai LU21B, "Gamblers Special." Tuned re-entrant with a high D, Its my go-to jamming instrument, and the best $25 I ever spent on a ukulele. I also use it on a lot of my baritone audio recordings. I've lowered the action to a gnat's hair above buzzing, and it plays like butta. A great gutsy blues tone.

WP_20141209_19_30_51_Pro.jpg

Cool Beans.jpg

Last edited:
Have only one baritone (Kala KA-BE acoustic-electric), but it has turned out to play so well that I have not even considered getting another.

I picked up @dirtiestkidever's vintage 19" Favilla Baritone and love it. Such a warm, luscious tone. Definitely more baritone's in my future. Will I keep more than one? Dunno 'bout that, but always want one on hand. But I could easily imagine one linear and one re-entrant.

I Such a warm, luscious tone. Definitely more baritone's in my future. Will I keep more than one? Dunno 'bout that, but always want one on hand. But I could easily imagine one linear and one re-entrant.

Just got my first baritone and strangely feel the same way.

This will take some re-evaluating:
Favilla
Leonard Young
Martin
BP 5 string

Only owned one but ill never get rid of it,my 1950's harmony. dhoenisch sold it to me for almost nothing and was kind enough to drive it practically to my doorstep himself. Is it pretty? God no its quite ugly,but as soon as i put my hands on it i bonded with it. It has an amazing warm tone,and ive come to discover that old mahogany just has a,idk vibe to it maybe? Warmth? Ill will give this away to someone in need before i ever sold it,money troubles be damned..

I have a '62 Martin bari and the first baritone David Webber made. The Webber is more guitar like sound while the Martin has the best neck I've ever played.

Also am having an Archtop baritone being built now by Toby Chennell of Jazzboxukes.com. Spruce top with Maple Back and sides. The top and back will be arched so should sound really good.

I love my Brüko bari and I think the scale is a little shorter than others.

who all makes 19" scale baris? most seem to be 20+.

Just about the only new baris in 19" except for custom. Both my baris are keepers and I'm not looking for any others: Bruko mahogany (kinda like saying black Model T) and Blue Star custom Konablaster

Giannini '72 model. Lovely shape. Rich tone. Got that sweet old patina and it's warm as toast. Bought it for a song too.

I have a few , love the rich tones from them .. well they are all keepers
Got two rogue, two francician, one silver creek, harmony, kamaka, martin, Gibson , kanilea, and few more at the time cannot remember their name as I have no played them for five years.

I have a few , love the rich tones from them .. well they are all keepers
Got two rogue, two francician, one silver creek, harmony, kamaka, martin, Gibson , kanilea, and few more at the time cannot remember their name as I have no played them for five years.
Man, you got more than a few...cool to hear from you on this topic, Stan!

Pono MB - bought it for not much and it has a big nice tone, but I'm struggling to find the right strings. I've also had a few of the LU-21B gambler's specials and they can be pretty amazing for the money.

Top Bottom