PDA

View Full Version : Keepers: Baritone size...

drbekken
02-22-2015, 07:25 PM
I'll beat you to it, katysax...which baritones are keepers?
Anyone?

(I will keep my Rogue baritone forever. It's lowdown, funky and bluesy, but it took some work to be playable. It's not what you might call a 'professional standard' ukulele. That's probably why I like it.)

wayward
02-22-2015, 09:03 PM
I bought my first baritone earlier this year and - now I've sorted out the soundboard pickup I had fitted - I don't feel I'll ever need another: it's a Pono Mango :love:

mds725
02-22-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm partial to tenors and baritones, so my baritones are keepers:

Kamaka H4 baritone
Kamaka H48 8-string baritone
Compass Rose steel string mini jumbo baritone
Compass Rose octave lower (low GCEA) mini jumbo baritone
Mya Moe 6-string mahogany baritone
Mya Moe myrtle baritone (although I am considering selling this one)

bnolsen
02-22-2015, 10:04 PM
who all makes 19" scale baris? most seem to be 20+.

we tigers
02-22-2015, 10:59 PM
I love my Brüko bari and I think the scale is a little shorter than others.

JJFN
02-23-2015, 03:44 AM
My Kamaka is a definite keeper for me. It will go out the door feet first with me. LOL

ubulele
02-23-2015, 03:50 AM
Bruce Wei makes 19" baritones.

sam13
02-23-2015, 03:56 AM
I am looking to pick up a RBSHC Spruce top in about 4 weeks from a new shipment of Ponos from Andrew at HMS. I am hopeful this will do it for me for a long time.

However, I would look at a Kamaka Baritone and have the fret board re-done possibly with a radius by Klin Reece in Hawaii ... that guy is amazing.

SweetWaterBlue
02-23-2015, 04:06 AM
My hand-decorated Lanikai LU21B, "Gamblers Special." Tuned re-entrant with a high D, Its my go-to jamming instrument, and the best $25 I ever spent on a ukulele. I also use it on a lot of my baritone audio recordings. I've lowered the action to a gnat's hair above buzzing, and it plays like butta. A great gutsy blues tone.

SteveZ
02-23-2015, 04:10 AM
Have only one baritone (Kala KA-BE acoustic-electric), but it has turned out to play so well that I have not even considered getting another.

Ukulele Eddie
02-23-2015, 04:17 AM
I picked up @dirtiestkidever's vintage 19" Favilla Baritone and love it. Such a warm, luscious tone. Definitely more baritone's in my future. Will I keep more than one? Dunno 'bout that, but always want one on hand. But I could easily imagine one linear and one re-entrant.

Photojosh
02-23-2015, 04:37 AM
I Such a warm, luscious tone. Definitely more baritone's in my future. Will I keep more than one? Dunno 'bout that, but always want one on hand. But I could easily imagine one linear and one re-entrant.

Just got my first baritone and strangely feel the same way.

dsummers
02-23-2015, 04:39 AM
This will take some re-evaluating:
Favilla
Leonard Young
Martin
BP 5 string

BigD
02-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Only owned one but ill never get rid of it,my 1950's harmony. dhoenisch sold it to me for almost nothing and was kind enough to drive it practically to my doorstep himself. Is it pretty? God no its quite ugly,but as soon as i put my hands on it i bonded with it. It has an amazing warm tone,and ive come to discover that old mahogany just has a,idk vibe to it maybe? Warmth? Ill will give this away to someone in need before i ever sold it,money troubles be damned..

Patrick Madsen
02-23-2015, 08:37 AM
I have a '62 Martin bari and the first baritone David Webber made. The Webber is more guitar like sound while the Martin has the best neck I've ever played.

Also am having an Archtop baritone being built now by Toby Chennell of Jazzboxukes.com. Spruce top with Maple Back and sides. The top and back will be arched so should sound really good.

Jim Hanks
02-23-2015, 08:40 AM
I love my Brüko bari and I think the scale is a little shorter than others.

who all makes 19" scale baris? most seem to be 20+.

Just about the only new baris in 19" except for custom. Both my baris are keepers and I'm not looking for any others: Bruko mahogany (kinda like saying black Model T) and Blue Star custom Konablaster

Hippie Dribble
02-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Giannini '72 model. Lovely shape. Rich tone. Got that sweet old patina and it's warm as toast. Bought it for a song too.

mm stan
02-23-2015, 10:19 AM
I have a few , love the rich tones from them .. well they are all keepers
Got two rogue, two francician, one silver creek, harmony, kamaka, martin, Gibson , kanilea, and few more at the time cannot remember their name as I have no played them for five years.

drbekken
02-23-2015, 11:07 AM
I have a few , love the rich tones from them .. well they are all keepers
Got two rogue, two francician, one silver creek, harmony, kamaka, martin, Gibson , kanilea, and few more at the time cannot remember their name as I have no played them for five years.
Man, you got more than a few...cool to hear from you on this topic, Stan!

PTOEguy
02-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Pono MB - bought it for not much and it has a big nice tone, but I'm struggling to find the right strings. I've also had a few of the LU-21B gambler's specials and they can be pretty amazing for the money.

connor013
02-23-2015, 01:29 PM
I have an old Airline that's really sweet, but I'm halfway-ish through a restoration of an older Bruko (yup, 19" scale), so it will be interesting to see which becomes the favorite.

I recently sold a BP spruce/walnut M-style baritone that was hands down the nicest ukulele -- of any size -- I've ever owned. It was the right decision, but knowing that doesn't much help the sting of it.

Lalz
02-24-2015, 02:03 PM
My TCK painted Pono Acacia, aka Bluebarriton Levy. In times of crisis, I'd sell everything else I own including my passport before I'd get rid of this one. Correction: I'd still keep it and go hungry.

southcoastukes
02-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Giannini '72 model. Lovely shape. Rich tone. Got that sweet old patina and it's warm as toast. Bought it for a song too.

How 'bout that!

Love the Gianninis. Discovered reentrant tuning for Baritones with them. Way back when I played & restored vintage instruments ("used" might have been a better description for the Gianninis in those days) I always had one on hand to play and another "in the workshop" to restore and sell. Sold a number of them and everyone was ecstatic. You described them perfectly, and the amazing thing is that while they made both laminates and solids it was really impossible to hear the difference. That's how good their laminate construction was.

Those were definitely keepers. Even though we build a slightly different form now, standard Baritones are lovely as well. Wish I'd kept one of those.

Kimosabe
02-24-2015, 05:52 PM
Walked into Dan's Guitars in Honolulu one afternoon. Tried a Kamaka baritone. Was comparing it to a Kanilea I liked up in Haliewa at Hawaii Music Supply. Kind of expensive. Also liked the cedar topped Kala, not bad for the price. Close to the Kanilea. What the heck is this hanging on the wall? Blackish, dark. What a tone! Giannini, never heard of it. Asked them if they had. Not really. They were selling it on consignment. They were amazed by the tone. Sounds like some kind of Mafia brand. Went home looked it up on the computer. Saw Dirk's comments. Rushed back and bought it. The Holy Grail.

katysax
02-24-2015, 05:54 PM
I have only one baritone - a Pono Mahogany. I have never bonded with the baritone.

Phluffy the Destroyer
02-25-2015, 01:03 AM
I will keep my Rogue baritone forever. It's lowdown, funky and bluesy, but it took some work to be playable. It's not what you might call a 'professional standard' ukulele. That's probably why I like it.

My only baritone so far was also a Rogue. I picked it up for $20 used (and poorly repaired) and gave it a little love. When I went to restring it all I had was a a set of Aquilla tenor strings, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded as a "super tenor". I had a lot of fun with it until it was stolen.

Guitar Center has them for $40 right now, and I'm thinking I might have to go pick up one or two to play around with...

hammer40
02-25-2015, 01:08 AM
Only have one, a Pono spruce/mahogany but I love it. I guess that means it's a keeper.

aarondminnick
02-25-2015, 04:18 AM
I agree with SweetWaterBlue -- the LU21B is an outstanding workhorse bari, especially cheap from Butler Music. We have two: one tuned to gCeA "octave uke" and another in "super tenor" tuning a step down from linear GCEA (F Bb D G). The "super tenor" in particular has become my go-to instrument; I can snap a capo on fret 2 and it's standard linear GCEA.

igorthebarbarian
02-25-2015, 06:22 PM
I have an old 70's Giannini baritone (might be laminate actually) that I got from Jake Wildwood at Antebellum Instruments. I like that it's very versatile in terms of tunings - high d or low D for DGBE, and I've also tried GCEA from Aquila. I also have a Cordoba Cuatro (like the one that's for sale on the marketplace), which was set up by HMS, which is nice too and very lightweight compared to the Giannini.

ukulelecowboy
02-26-2015, 01:10 AM
Ella, my 2012 Graziano jazz box and my Ko'aloua CE-1 baritone. I keep an older Pono Mahogany as a backup..

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ADDmodeler/Graziano%20Baritone%202/DSC_0210_zps8c307d80.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/ADDmodeler/media/Graziano%20Baritone%202/DSC_0210_zps8c307d80.jpg.html)

connor013
02-26-2015, 07:58 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ADDmodeler/Graziano%20Baritone%202/DSC_0210_zps8c307d80.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/ADDmodeler/media/Graziano%20Baritone%202/DSC_0210_zps8c307d80.jpg.html)

Whoa -- now that is a pretty instrument.

katysax
02-26-2015, 08:21 AM
A little off topic, but the only guitar I truly regret selling was a Giannini that I had bought new for $100. Bought it many years ago and it was real Brazilian Rosewood. Sold it because I wanted a "better" classical guitar. I'll be a Giannini baritone would be pretty nice.

Photojosh
02-26-2015, 08:47 AM
I may need to track down some sort of Harmony/Favilla/etc vintage bari to go with this Kala cedar top I have. Really enjoying it.