PDA

View Full Version : Reasons NOT to buy another ukulele?

g'est
02-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Hi!

For the last couple of weeks I've been finding myself reading reviews and watching numerous videos of different ukuleles and I really want to buy one. The thing is, already have three (you can enter your number here for yourself), which should be enough. So I'd prefer it if I didn't want to buy a new one.

So I'm trying to think of reasons why I wouldn't want to get another ukulele. And I could really use some help! :D

I do think that having less instruments makes every ukulele more special (helps to make the connection stronger). What other reasons do you have?

UkerDanno
02-23-2015, 07:26 AM
I have nothing...

HBolte
02-23-2015, 07:28 AM
I can't think of one...

g'est
02-23-2015, 07:29 AM
I have nothing...

:D That's what I was afraid of!

hendulele
02-23-2015, 07:30 AM
If you're not playing every uke you own, then perhaps you should rehome one of your neglected ones and replace it with a shiny new (to you) uke. Otherwise, I've got nothing, too.

deschutestrout
02-23-2015, 07:39 AM
I see your collection is missing a pineapple .... just sayin'.

katysax
02-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Clearly you need a low G and a high G tenor. You actually don't have enough ukes. We are all terrible enablers here.

g'est
02-23-2015, 07:43 AM
Clearly you need a low G and a high G tenor. You actually don't have enough ukes. We are all terrible enablers here.

Maybe I could have two low G tenors instead? And a high G concert? And...

Rllink
02-23-2015, 07:45 AM
To simplify your life.

peterbright
02-23-2015, 07:45 AM
I don't understand the problem. Buy another and call me in the morning.

g'est
02-23-2015, 07:46 AM
I see your collection is missing a pineapple .... just sayin'.

A pineapple is appealing! :D or maybe Pepe Romero's Tiny Tenor?

This thread is not going in the direction I (naively) hoped it would. :)

frisbee fred
02-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Buy them. You are powerless not to.

#4horse
02-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Reasons not to buy? Lack of money or space are the most obvious ones. Or a better use for the money. (I might be hopelessly old fashioned, but I would rather pay off credit card balances than buy another uke -- the interest saved will pay for another uke before too long.)

It comes down to what will make you happiest. Easy to say but not always easy to figure out. It seems like some people gravitate towards collecting ukes and others towards playing them, with a lot of us in between. "Collectors" get pleasure from owning rare, expensive and beautiful instruments. Just looking at them makes them happy. "Players" get pleasure from picking them up and making music. They buy ukes that allow them to play a wider range of styles.

Neither way is inherently better than the other, and they're not mutually exclusive. So ask yourself, what will a fourth uke bring you and what might it take away. I think ukes like to be played and not ignored, so I favor having fewer ukes and playing them more often.

g'est
02-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Reasons not to buy? Lack of money or space are the most obvious ones. Or a better use for the money. (I might be hopelessly old fashioned, but I would rather pay off credit card balances than buy another uke -- the interest saved will pay for another uke before too long.)

It comes down to what will make you happiest. Easy to say but not always easy to figure out. It seems like some people gravitate towards collecting ukes and others towards playing them, with a lot of us in between. "Collectors" get pleasure from owning rare, expensive and beautiful instruments. Just looking at them makes them happy. "Players" get pleasure from picking them up and making music. They buy ukes that allow them to play a wider range of styles.

Neither way is inherently better than the other, and they're not mutually exclusive. So ask yourself, what will a fourth uke bring you and what might it take away. I think ukes like to be played and not ignored, so I favor having fewer ukes and playing them more often.

That's a really great answer! :) I appreciate it!

janeray1940
02-23-2015, 08:34 AM
Aside from the obvious lack of money or space, one practical reason I can think of is that there's something to be said for playing one instrument only and really getting to know it well - there's a thread on this ("one-uke approach" might have been in the subject) somewhere. I can't really do this since I play both low G and reentrant daily, but I have pretty much focused my playing on two instruments of the same scale length (concert) and have felt it's helped my playing.

Freeda
02-23-2015, 08:49 AM
How about the realization that another instrument won't make you sound better, only practice will?

spookelele
02-23-2015, 09:17 AM
<sally struthers>Because there are children dying that need that money more than you need another new uke. </sally struthers>

Not to make light of very real need in the world... but it's all I could come up with.

SweetWaterBlue
02-23-2015, 09:29 AM
I've never heard you play, so I don't know if this will work for you, or not, but promise yourself you won't buy another ukulele until you learn to play the one you have well enough to play on stage with it for money.

g'est
02-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Aside from the obvious lack of money or space, one practical reason I can think of is that there's something to be said for playing one instrument only and really getting to know it well - there's a thread on this ("one-uke approach" might have been in the subject) somewhere. I can't really do this since I play both low G and reentrant daily, but I have pretty much focused my playing on two instruments of the same scale length (concert) and have felt it's helped my playing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that also support the one-uke approach. I think it's just that I might still be looking for that one uke. I also play both high and low G, but I think I could probably give up high G.

How about the realization that another instrument won't make you sound better, only practice will?

That's a good point. I guess it's seems easier to try to buy skill than work for it.

I've never heard you play, so I don't know if this will work for you, or not, but promise yourself you won't buy another ukulele until you learn to play the one you have well enough to play on stage with it for money.

That's an interesting idea. And it would be awhile before I'd be ready to perform.

Edit: I think this thread might actually be helping! :) (The only side effect is that now I'm thinking about getting a custom uke to replace the current ones :confused: )

kkimura
02-23-2015, 09:44 AM
There are several reasons for you not to buy another uke.

1. You don't want to compare how a (fill in the blank) wood uke sounds with your koa or maple ukes.
2. You don't want to find out if other tenor, concert or soprano ukes sound different.
3. You don't want that feeling of anticipation as you wait for delivery of a new uke.
4. You don't want a uke for every season,
5. You don't want a uke for every day of the week.
6. You don't want a uke for every month of the year.

Icelander53
02-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Same as you. I have plenty.

fongie
02-23-2015, 10:31 AM
If you are happy with what you have already, it's good enough for me.

Like you, I'm happy with what I have. It might not be highend uku's, but they sound good enough. But in saying that, I'm still not discounting searching for that one Holy Grail, the ONE. But, I also ask myself, am I experience enough as a player to spend on something I'm not good enough to bring the best out of it?

I am not a collector, I'm a player. So a couple of nice sounding, nice playing uku is better than too much gathering dust, I think. But in saying that, each to their own.

DownUpDave
02-23-2015, 10:32 AM
Some guys I know own 15 -20 putters but you can only take one golfing at a time.

Reasons NOT to buy another ukulele...........you DON'T want anymore ukes. It has nothing to do with talent, it's about having passion. If it feels good, then own as many as you want. If it feels better owning your three .........then you have hit nervana

Brad Bordessa
02-23-2015, 10:58 AM

THIS. If you have a satisfactory instrument be happy with what you've got and practice on it.

sam13
02-23-2015, 11:01 AM
I can only play one at a time ... but really after 7 ... who needs more? One for each day of the week ... that will be my goal!:agree:

PTOEguy
02-23-2015, 11:44 AM
I think for me, the reason I kept buying was as a learning experience. Here's what I learned -

I had a Pono tenor with a strap button (I want one on anything I play now) that sounded great fingerpicking, but was a little harsh for strumming. A flea that was durable, and sounded great strumming but couldn't keep up in the groups I was playing with and wasn't easy to hold. A solid-body electric that didn't really sound good enough to plug in with the groups I was playing with. An a firefly banjo that reinforced that my banjo tastes run towards a more powerful (obnoxious?) instrument.

So I sold everything but the flea and my baritone and bought a Blackbird Clara. It has a huge voice, sounds good strummed and fingerpicking, its durable, and I can a pickup added once I save the money. I enjoyed the ride, but ultimately I play the Clara and get more out of it than anything else. I'd say, take a look at where you are on your ukulele journey and where do you want to be?

janeray1940
02-23-2015, 11:56 AM
I think for me, the reason I kept buying was as a learning experience.

I think this is true for a lot of us, and even when you *think* you're done, your needs might change and BAM! it starts all over again. At least that's been my experience. It's definitely slowed down over the years - I think my first year of playing I went through 7 ukes in less than 12 months; since then, it's been under 1 uke per year.

ubulele
02-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Less is more.
Your humidifier cabinet is full.
Fewer decisions to make.
A uke in the hand is worth two in the case.
Self-restraint builds character.
Saving the rainforest.
You can use the money to buy better cases, a good capo, a few brass and glass slides, songbooks, tuition to a uke camp, Hawaiian shirts, uke-themed caps and drinks at a bar where you can seek consolation for having become a social pariah.
Fewer strings to keep changing, fewer straps to install, less guilt from having a uke sitting neglected.
Focus aids progress.
UAS, once indulged, is a slippery slope to perpetual dissatisfaction and moral turpitude.
There is no support group for recovering ukaholics enraged spouses take the wrong approach, usually with gasoline and a match.
When I was your age, we could only afford one uke per family, which had to be shared among fifteen children, the dog and the budgie. How spoiled can you get?
When a neighbor drops in to "borrow" an ukulele, it's hard to dream up a plausible excuse when you have more than three.

Nevertheless, I find that four is the absolute workable minimum (two standards in linear and reentrant, two baris in linear and reentrant). Then you need at least two more as take-anywhere leave-outable beaters. Maybe a couple electrics, and one for Bb or D tuning. And one for sheer inspiration that is so gorgeous and celestial you almost hate to touch it until you prove your worth. Beyond that is just excess.

SweetWaterBlue
02-23-2015, 12:33 PM
I think there are a lot of reasons some people keep buying more ukuleles than they can play.

Some people are collectors. Ukuleles for them are like coins or stamps - something to be acquired to enlarge the collection. The ones with a large amount of disposable income buy fancy instruments. Those of more modest means just collect cheaper ones.

Some people think that if they buy a better instrument, it will make them play better. To some degree it works, but not as well as practicing, taking lessons, learning about music etc. Buying is easy and fun, serious practicing can be hard.

Some people are searching for a different sound. If they have a soprano, maybe they want to know what it would be like to play a tenor. If they have a tenor, maybe they would like to try a baritone. Sometimes we keep the old instruments in the thought that our tastes may return to them later.

Some people get caught up in the acquisition syndrome more than they should.

There are worse vices in the world.

Nickie
02-23-2015, 12:42 PM
1. You have exactly the uke you want, and only want to play in C tuning.
2. You have every uke you want, each one tuned the way you want to play.
3. You have no room.
4. You are broke, or "financially challenged".
5. You enjoy borrowing other people's ukes, and drooling when you listen to/look at thiers.
6. You don't mind the Jonesing when your uke is in the repair shop.

Aw, crap, who am I kidding, Resistance is Futile.

Katz-in-Boots
02-23-2015, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE]I think this is true for a lot of us, and even when you *think* you're done, your needs might change and BAM! it starts all over again. At least that's been my experience.

Me too. My recent purchase was to get a good quality instrument to play low G & classical. Happy now - for a while. There are more expensive habits...

deschutestrout
02-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Humidifier cabinet ... you folks are fancy ;). I'm stuck with 5 little humidifier cabinets called "cases". Now I'm wanting to buy another uke.... here we go....

fretie
02-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Why not buy another uke? Cause you love the ones you have and cause 'less is (sometimes) more.

DubstepedZombie
02-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Why I don't buy another uke is because i want an electric drum set and a bass guitar.

Nickie
02-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Why I don't buy another uke is because i want an electric drum set and a bass guitar.

Don't do it! I bought a hammered dulcimer and a mouth harp and they never get played!

Inksplosive AL
02-23-2015, 06:19 PM
The only reason to not buy another ukulele is if you are the feature story on this weeks episode of "hoarders buried under"

Do you yet own a banjolele? A flea or Fluke? A K brand Hawaiian ukulele? Oh wait you wanted reasons to not buy another uke OK then you already own a fluke or flea, a K brand uke and a banjolele. hehe

g'est
02-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys! :)

I guess I would like to have less ukuleles but I'm not really there yet. Still, I appreciate your input, it's been very helpful! :)

Ukuleleblues
02-24-2015, 03:15 AM
The biggest reason for me is I run out of money.

wayfarer75
02-24-2015, 03:19 AM
Me too. My recent purchase was to get a good quality instrument to play low G & classical. Happy now - for a while. There are more expensive habits...

Yes, my sister buys diamonds. LOL (She works for a jeweler and gets a discount, but that still doesn't make them cheap.)

DubstepedZombie
02-24-2015, 07:33 AM
Don't do it! I bought a hammered dulcimer and a mouth harp and they never get played!

Well this is different, my goal is to sit in a room alone with the door shut and play with myself. LOL!

I'm getting the drums first. A yamaha dd or ds 65 (however u say it) is good quality for the money. And this is going to be my metrenome. And the bass is super simple to play a generic background beat. I would rather construct a track to play along with than download one. (And i kno le girlfriend will play on the drums) so this is a good investment. Lol

KnowsPickin
02-24-2015, 11:27 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Why couldn't I have picked a nice INexpensive hobby like cocaine!
:rolleyes:

coolkayaker1
02-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Reason not to buy a uke: it's hard to play in the dark, all alone, when the electric company turns off the juice and the wife runs away with the plumber.
#plumberslaybetterpipe

Hammond
02-24-2015, 06:34 PM
Although I play one ukulele, I don't have the answer for your question.:rofl:

I bought few other ukuleles to my friends, I enjoy ukulele shopping, so I don't really have reasons for not to buy..:o

Reasons not to buy? Lack of money or space are the most obvious ones. Or a better use for the money.
How about "better use of the money" applied to get one better uke instead of use the same money to get a bunch of ukes? Does it sound right?

This is a interesting point, what if more instruments give more passion to spend more time on playing/practicing? Maybe? Inspire me thinking.

Dan Uke
02-24-2015, 06:37 PM
you know you'll never be satisfied so you just stop

janeray1940
02-24-2015, 06:43 PM
How about "better use of the money" applied to get one better uke instead of use the same money to get a bunch of ukes? Does it sound right?

To me it certaily sounds right! I've only bought ukes that I thought were a good use of money, rather than buying multiple less-expensive ukes. With ukes, and in shopping in general, I try to apply the "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" principle. I don't just buy things because they are a "good deal" - I try to wait until I can afford what I know will really make me happy.

Of course this is subjective - one person might be happiest with a large variety of lesser ukes, another person might be happiest with a single holy grail uke. Me, I'm somewhere in the middle - no interest in most of the non-Hawaiian brands, but equal lack of interest in the This Year's Hottest Luthier ukes. But to each their own :)

Hippie Dribble
02-24-2015, 06:56 PM
you know you'll never be satisfied so you just stop
Totally agree. Just wish it had taken 10 months instead of 10 years. :p

Dan Uke
03-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Totally agree. Just wish it had taken 10 months instead of 10 years. :p

But wasnt it a fun 10 years trying so many brands and looking for the "keepers"

Tootler
03-02-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm running out of space for them

deschutestrout
03-02-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm running out of space for them

That's when the gifting begins ;).

SteveZ
03-02-2015, 12:55 PM
....because no one is selling one with a built-in holder for your beer.

deschutestrout
03-02-2015, 01:12 PM
....because no one is selling one with a built-in holder for your beer.

That, right there ... is brilliant :-) Sound ports ... a couple that will at least perfectly hold a shot glass. You sound better the more you drink and remove the shots, in your own mind anyway. Custom orders "dude, can you possibly add a couple more holes?"