WTB Soprano Strings (Need Help)

Kyle23

Reaction score
I have a solid mahogany soprano uke and it sounds kind of dead to me and I need some new strings for it. I currently have worth browns on it and that could be a reason for the weird sound. I'm not expert so if anyone has any advice on what strings would liven it up a bit or has any for sale, I'd appreciate it. I'd be paying with paypal. Thanks.

When I had a 'hog soprano I liked D'Addario Nyltechs, Fremont Blackline hards, and Martin M600s best on it. I've never been a fan of Worth Browns on much of anything - to my ear they always sound kind of dead. (But then... I like Martin M600s best on just about anything, so... that might just be me.)

only thing I use worth browns on is my concert with spruce top ... they seem to shine with spruce (in my experience anyway). try worth clears, and as others have said...martin 600s. you'll dial it in! and i'm often amazed at what a difference various strings make~

I have Martin 600s on my Ohana mahogany. Perfect.

I had a Mele solid mahogany soprano for a while. Those Martins sounded absolutely "dead". Couldn't get them off fast enough. As people keep saying, there is no string set that sounds equally good on all ukes. Which model do you have?

Phil it's a Koloa. I made threads on it before but I took a long break so I'm back into it trying to get this dang Uke playable because I feel like it's a waste.

Phil it's a Koloa. I made threads on it before but I took a long break so I'm back into it trying to get this dang Uke playable because I feel like it's a waste.
Don't get discouraged! It's not a waste, just wanting new strings. Buy a few sets, Worth Clears, Martins, etc. ... try them for a while and see which string this particular uke is wanting. Have fun with the process, even if you burn thru strings that you save to try on another uke.

Don't get discouraged! It's not a waste, just wanting new strings. Buy a few sets, Worth Clears, Martins, etc. ... try them for a while and see which string this particular uke is wanting. Have fun with the process, even if you burn thru strings that you save to try on another uke.

There might be no saving this Uke lol. I only took a break from my soprano. I have a great concert that I play exclusively. It'd be nice to have some variety with a soprano but I'm not sure about this one. I'll try the Martins though!

My Kamaka isn't mahogany, but it sure loves those Oasis lights I put on it. My vintage Martin also loves Aquilas (some do, some don't). I traded that Mele, so I never did find out what strings it likes.

As people have already mentioned, try Martins, they will brighten it up considerably compared to the Browns. I liked Browns on my cedar because they mellowed it out a bit. I like Martins on my 2 Martins...one mahogany and one koa.

Does anyone actually have any for sale on here? I'd rather buy from one of you than on ebay.

Does anyone actually have any for sale on here? I'd rather buy from one of you than on ebay.

I just bought several sets. I got some of the new Aquila lava series strings from Strings & Beyond (they also carry D'Addario, Worth, Martin, and more). And some from D'Addario nylon strings from Mim. Haven't tried either type of string so I am very excited to get them.

BTW the advice given a year ago in the post with the video of your soprano seems to all be much the same. Same ukulele same worth browns same questions same answers.

One member suggested it needed nut work have you done anything to this ukulele since then with the nut?

Strings by mail seems to have the best prices on Aquila strings and the greatest selection of different strings I've seen. No Lava strings but they are the same as the Super-nylgut strings just a different color so...

https://www.stringsbymail.com/ukulele-strings-684/?zenid=l5glf6iri9vcbsvb8aitjl6rd7

Is my string source until I'm shown better or cheaper with such a selection.

I haven't used them...until just now ... ordered $45 worth of various strings ... will be fun to try some new ones, and I'm always amazed at the difference strings can make on how a uke sounds. Thanks for the link. (sorry Elderly...I'll buy stuff from you again soon, I promise)

Top Bottom