What's the handiest uke chord book?

Captain America

Reaction score
I'm going more into chord melody stuff and need a book that has all the chords in it, in a useful fashion.

Any stand out in particular?

I suppose a spiral binding is a good thing.

I always found the Roy Sakuma Treasury Ukulele Chords to be a must have until I started using iPhone apps and the internet for chords. I haven't used a book since. i use Guitar Toolkit in ukulele mode.

I always found the Roy Sakuma Treasury Ukulele Chords to be a must have until I started using iPhone apps and the internet for chords. I haven't used a book since. i use Guitar Toolkit in ukulele mode.

I'm old school this way - that Sakuma book goes everywhere with me! I think it's the best one out there.

Handiest? A downloaded app on your cellphone to find any chord you want in a few seconds

If you want something portable, I have a small (6"x9") book that fits in my uke case. MGM (RIP) used to include it in his package deals. It has all the chords to the third position up the neck. (Handy for for finding a chord where the melody note is in the chord high up the neck as you do in chord melodies). Its called "Ukulele Chord Finder" by Hal Leonard. I think Amazon sells it for about $6 or $7. I think they also have a larger version, but I prefer the small format one to carry around.

When I want to go beyond the 3rd invesion up the neck for a particular chord, I usually just use EZFolks' chord charts on the net at http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/

Last edited:
Handiest? A downloaded app on your cellphone to find any chord you want in a few seconds

I like Chords4Uke!

chordophone ap has worked well for me

Learn that chords go 1 3 5 7 9 11 ...... And learn the notes in your fabourite keys. You will never need a book or a device to work out chords. Especially if you want to play chord melody.

This here reads to me like find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and never have want again. Frustrating to hear how simple it is for some.

Sarah Maisel taught a class where she said she uses the Sakuma book all the time. I know her theory background is very strong. I can figure out any chord without a book, but a book or app is often faster and useful. Also I don't necessarily think about every possible voicing or inversion. I like the apps better than the books because they can show you a lot more chords. You can also find the name of a chord from knowing the fingering. No matter how good your theory knowledge I think chord book is helpful.

For the computer, i would be surprised if chord/alchemy can be beat. Covers all string instruments, all standard tunings, customizal tunings, has reverse chord lookup, more. For example, looking for a C major chord in the 5 to 10 fret range on a uke? This program shows 22 options that will generate a C major chord in that range. Want the root on the 2nd string? Ten options. While many of these may not be practical for your fingering ability, there are some that might work better than the usual 2nd or 3rd position charts. I've had it for years. Now all i I have to do is to learn how ot play this little instrument. http://www.tonalalchemy.com/index.php

Top Bottom