I need a great playing/sounding uke for outdoors

deschutestrout

Reaction score
I spend a LOT of time outside, camping, river trips, etc. I want a uke that can withstand moisture, temperature swings (100 during the day to 20 at night ... not in the same 24 hr period, but those are the temps I'm often in). I don't want a cheap plastic uke, and I can't spend $1200 now for a Blackbird ... I protect the heck out of my instruments, so it won't see direct sun, etc.

So...decent laminate? Save for a Clara? Looking for suggestions .... and reports of ukes that stand up well to the elements. UAS - Outdoors.

Rough choice - I've taken a flea car camping and the friction tuners got a little loose when it got cold. Plus I'm not sure how moisture proof it really is.

I'd save for a Clara, except that I have trouble taking that expensive an instrument into harms way no matter how tough it is.

I'd save for a Clara, except that I have trouble taking that expensive an instrument into harms way no matter how tough it is.

That, is my issue. I too would have a hard time throwing a $1200 uke in my boat and heading down river. On the flip side, I do take VERY good care of my instruments ... 'ole Clara would be in good hands.

Fluke is probably going to be your best sound/value ratio. I'd agree with the OXK if they ever made a concert version. I've heard nothing but good about that uke.

Get a fluke or a flea. I doubt you can hurt it bad. The concert Flea might slip into a backpack easier. Both sound and play great. Oh, and take an extra set of strings. Nothing sucks like being in a beautiful location in the middle of nowhere and having a string pop.

Have you considered outdoor ukulele. I know they are plastic but they are only $100 and there are some in depth reviews on YouTube highlighting the pros and con's I plan on picking one up in a few months.
http://outdoorukulele.com/
YouTube user peteymack64 has over 20 minutes of review. For the price I don't think it would hurt to try. Of course blackbird would be better but it's 10 times the cost.

Last edited:
Have you considered outdoor ukulele. I know they are plastic but they are only $100 and there are some in depth reviews on YouTube highlighting the pros and con's I plan on picking one up in a few months.
http://outdoorukulele.com/
YouTube user peteymack64 has over 20 minutes of review. For the price I don't think it would hurt to try. Of course blackbird would be better but it's 10 times the cost.
Yeah, they are actually made close to where I live. Strummed one for about 4 seconds. Didn't do it for me. Thanks all for the suggestions! I'll figure it out. :D

Currently for me it's a tenor Fluke with plastic fretboard, walnut with Pegheds. When I can afford it (and when they finally make it)..........it will be an eKOA Tenor from Blackbird. ........Sure hope this wish comes true!

I have a Makala concert ukulele. It happens to be my only ukulele. It has gone camping, to the beach, to the park, on fishing trips, four wheeling, and was played on the deck all last summer. I really like my Makala. It is of course wood. You can't take it and submerge it in the lake, and it would be a good idea not to sit out in the rain to play it, but hey, how many people actually want to do that? I'm sure there are some. Anyway, I've done next to no maintenance on it since I got it, and it is none the worse for wear. It is quite rugged, and pretty scratch resistant as well. If you want to go with wood instead of plastic, I would recommend it. They aren't very expensive either.

Kealoha plastic concert ukes.
cheap as chips, tough as nails.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NF...8-1&keywords=kealoha+ukulele&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

To me, a laminate uke, or even a fluke is too dear to expose to extreme conditions. Laminate is still wood and Flea/Fluke are certainly not expendable.
Kissing, Do you think the plastic uke could take being tuned to D? This looks like something I could throw under the truck seat. But I play everything with a D tuned uke.

I am in the same "boat" you are, looking at getting a ukulele that can withstand outdoor use. I am fortunate to have a couple river trips in the works for this summer (Grand Canyon then Deso/Gray) and want to take a uke. Plan A was to buy a hard case for my Luna Honu, but I am looking at buying another uke anyway to string Low G and learn fingerstyle. It would be better if I could take this uke on my trips so I can play songs requiring Low G (duet with my guitar-playing husband). Since I live in Southern Arizona I will be avoiding solid wood ukes that require supplementary humidification. So in my mind it comes down to a Fluke or a Clara, which I am happy to see are among those recommended to you here! But at $1000 more, the Clara is just too precious to seriously contemplate at this time. I've only been playing the ukulele for a month! Like you, I would not feel comfortable at all taking a Clara on the river (boats do flip on the Colorado, and sand is ever present), so I have pretty much decided on the Fluke for myself, with a hard case I can put into a rented dry bag.

I'd go for a Fluke or Flea. But no ukulele is indestructible, so I'd be prepared to replace it.

There are many laminate concerts in the approximately $100 range that are quite playable and sound pretty good. It won't withstand absolutely anything but it will withstand a lot and in the end if it gets messed up you can throw it away. Even though I have a Clara I would not use it as you describe. I'd just get an Islander concert or something equivalent and use that.

For what it is worth when I was a teenager I saved all my money for a Gibson guitar. That guitar went with me everywhere for years. It went camping where it was exposed to extreme temps. It spent time in the car. It flew on airplanes. After about 40 years it was beat to hell, and the case was a wreck, but truth is we are all (me included) probably way more sensitive about our instruments than we really need to be. Of course if I had treated that Gibson well it would not have reached the point of being unplayable and unrepairable, but I got a good 40 years out of use out of it, many of which during which it was badly abused.

There are many laminate concerts in the approximately $100 range that are quite playable and sound pretty good. It won't withstand absolutely anything but it will withstand a lot and in the end if it gets messed up you can throw it away. Even though I have a Clara I would not use it as you describe. I'd just get an Islander concert or something equivalent and use that.

Thanks Katysax....that's where I'm leaning. I may just wait until a good used laminate comes up on UU Marketplace. Funny thing is, I had the PERFECT, great sounding all laminate Kala...I gifted it (which felt darn good) ... wishing I could have "replicated" it :eek:

If you really enjoy great sound, then the Clara is the way to go. If you would be too worried about that, then get a really sturdy case, and bring something else. Really, if the case is really strong, you really have 80% of your worries taken care of. If you picture yourself in risky situations while you are playing (in a canoe, on a towel on the beach), then a less expensive plastic might be the way to go. If you can keep your uke with you all the time, then it might be OK to risk an expensive uke. If your uke will be transported by others from time to time, bring something that won't break your heart if it is lost. I like my long neck Flea.

–Lori

it's a plywood box, but the neck is detachable so it stores easily and is very sturdy.

check out "Pahulele" on YouTube. Ho'okani Music, Honolulu, Reid Shigemura,
soprano or tenor.

I have one of each and I enjoy using them. They obviously don't sound like other ukes,
due to their heavier (comparatively) construction, but they 'work', they are eminently
portable, and no worries about string tension and neck/body connection... as the neck
detaches and is securely stored inside the body :)

just another option :)

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom