Do I want a pineapple? (Ohana? Mainland? Kamaka?)

Photojosh

Reaction score
I've long thought that someday I'd add a pineapple to my uke collection. It wasn't ever a huge "thing" for me, just something that I thought I'd like to have. Maybe even save up for a kamaka pineapple as a bit of "uke history" (I don't have a kamaka of any sort).

Recently I've been looking for a concert to compliment my Koaloha concert. Something with a different sound and perhaps that wasn't quite as expensive and would encourage me to take it out of the house more often. I'm no scaredy pants about my ukuleles, but I'm also not made of money. I like the look of the Kala Lacewood, I don't have an Ohana, Mainland makes some nice ukes, etc. Something along those lines.

But then I got to thinking that maybe a pineapple would give me a "like a concert, but different" sound. The closest thing I have is a flea and a fluke. And while they are nice, I don't love them. But to be honest, I think that has more to do with the plastic fretboard than anything else.

I would much prefer a concert fretboard over a soprano, which does limit things a bit. Particularly in a non-Hawaiian price range. But both Ohana and Mainland have some nice pineapple options. I particularly like the looks of the Ohana PKC-25G solid mahogany concert pineapple. But they don't seem to be available anywhere. The Ohana PK-25G solid mahogany soprano pineapple is priced really well and is almost as cool looking as the concert. But reviews on UU seem to be mixed. The Mainlands are really pretty, though I think pineapples look better with friction style tuners. But that's a minor thing. And the red cedar and/or mango Mainlands look quite nice.

Or maybe I should just go whole hog, save up, and buy a kamaka pineapple. Would probably be used and a soprano, just due to pricing. But it would be a classic. Still, be a shame to have a classic I didn't like to play all that much.

Just rambling USA thoughts I suppose...

How about a Koaloha pineapple... go long necked soprano..get best of many worlds.

Mainland longneck cedar soprano with friction tuners....killer set up.

How about a Koaloha pineapple... go long necked soprano..get best of many worlds.

I'm sure that would be amazing.

However, I'm probably not willing to throw that amount of money at this particular project.

I'm sure that would be amazing.

However, I'm probably not willing to throw that amount of money at this particular project.

A Koaloha longneck pineapple will set you back less than a Kamaka standard pineapple, FWIW, and you'd get the concert scale neck. MSRP on the concert-neck Koaloha pineapple is around $800; soprano scale Kamaka pineapple is $895. Both come up for sale used on the Marketplace from time to time for a couple hundred less.

I can't speak to the other manufacturers you mentioned, but I do own one of each of these. Both are incredible instruments, but if your preference is for concert scale, you'll want the Koaloha. It's as loud as, or louder, than many tenors I've heard, joins at the 14th fret rather than the 12th, and has a little more room that makes playing up the neck easier (and it sounds better).

But then I got to thinking that maybe a pineapple would give me a "like a concert, but different" sound. The closest thing I have is a flea and a fluke. And while they are nice, I don't love them. But to be honest, I think that has more to do with the plastic fretboard than anything else.

No, it won't give you a "concert" sound without a longer neck. My soprano scale pineapple doesn't sound like my concert, it sounds like my other soprano. It has a "fuller" sound and has better tone than the figure 8 soprano, but that has to do more with the fact that the pineapple is all solid and the figure 8 soprano is laminate. Neither soprano can give me that sustain at the higher frets and the more tenor-like tone that my concert has.

There are longneck sopranos all over, but perhaps you would rather have a concert pineapple? Ohana, Mele, Mainland are all options.

I do love my pineapple, and it's a Kamaka, which makes it even more special to me. I bought it because I wanted one from the first time I ever saw a photo and learned about how Kamaka invented them. Plus, pineapples are so cute. I think everyone should have a pineapple, but nobody needs to spend the money on a K brand, especially if one is not really sold on the whole idea.

There are longneck sopranos all over, but perhaps you would rather have a concert pineapple? Ohana, Mele, Mainland are all options.

The Ohana concert pineapple is quite cool looking. But seems to be difficult to find. People do seem to love the Mainland concert pineapple, but it has a tenor scale neck. I'm not totally against that, but I have a real mixed relationship with tenors for some reason. The Mele I know nothing about, so I will look into it a bit more.

No, it won't give you a "concert" sound without a longer neck. My soprano scale pineapple doesn't sound like my concert, it sounds like my other soprano. It has a "fuller" sound and has better tone than the figure 8 soprano, but that has to do more with the fact that the pineapple is all solid and the figure 8 soprano is laminate. Neither soprano can give me that sustain at the higher frets and the more tenor-like tone that my concert has.

Yep, this exactly. My soprano pineapple is sort of in-between a sop figure-eight and concert figure-eight sound - it's definitely its own unique sound, but has all of the lack of sustain and resonance when played up the neck that any figure-eight sop would be expected to have.

In the past week I've compared three Koalohas, all with concert necks and all with a 14-fret join: longneck pineapple, longneck soprano figure-eight, and concert figure-eight. The longneck pineapple was the clear winner in terms of resonance and sustain higher up the neck: the soprano sounded pretty much like any soprano, the concert was a little bit better, and the pineapple blew them both away.

In the past week I've compared three Koalohas, all with concert necks and all with a 14-fret join: longneck pineapple, longneck soprano figure-eight, and concert figure-eight. The longneck pineapple was the clear winner in terms of resonance and sustain higher up the neck: the soprano sounded pretty much like any soprano, the concert was a little bit better, and the pineapple blew them both away.

Nice. Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like a long neck pineapple might give me a similar scale but different sound from my current concert. Which is what I'm looking for.

I kind of have a thing for pineapple ukes. I've got...ahem...a few.
The vintage Kamakas are spectacular. I love how bright and clear they sound for being so small. My friend and I were working on restoring an old 50s Gretsch soprano and we felt it sounded very bright and kinda loud. But the Kamakas (gold and white labels) sound twice as bright and loud.
Koalohas are wonderful instruments. I don't have one, but I'm sure they're very nice. There's one on the CL in LA for $575.
I have a Ohana PK-25G that is amazing. It has a beautiful sound, is perfectly set up and I love it. I think Mim has one for sale right now.
I think Uke Republic is about the only place that has a PKC-25G concert version, for $239.
I just picked up a Mele Concert Pineapple here on the marketplace. I haven't spent enough time with it to give a real opinion, but it's sounds great.
I've got a Luna Pineapple, or I should say my daughter does, and it's nice, but just okay.
There's a neat old Duke Kahanamoku pineapple for sale on CL in SF for $100.
The Mainland red cedar pineapple look great, but I haven't played one.
Oh, and I have a Kala Watermelon that surprisingly sounds very good, for a novelty uke, and is a lot of fun to play.

Hope that helps! :)

Just as a resource to anyone else who finds this thread in the future, HMS has a nice comparison of a regular and long neck Koaloha pineapple here:

Also this MyaMoe comparison of a couple different types of pineapple (plus a super-soprano and a concert).

Also this MyaMoe comparison of a couple different types of pineapple (plus a super-soprano and a concert).

That actually brings up a question I have for any MM *pineapple* owners who might be reading this: is your uke loud? I mean, really LOUD?

In my search for super-sopranos and other ukes with a 14-fret join, MM has come up frequently. I actually almost ordered from MM some years back, then tried maybe three or four MMs locally and found consistently the sound was really on the quiet side - even on a resonator that I tried. I'd expect any reso uke to be louder than any non-reso uke, but that was not the case.

I'm intrigued that MM has a concert pineapple and really wish I could compare one side by side with my Koaloha concert-neck pineapple.

I don't think any of my pineapples are especially loud. They have plenty of sound, but I've had loud ukes and the pineapples aren't like that.

I just remembered that I had an Oscar Schmidt Concert Pineapple too. It was playable but a real dud.

Every player needs a pineapple.

+1 for KoAloha Pineapple l/n. Has the soprano shangalang sound but a little more musicality, sustain, etc. I think of mine as a specialty player, not everyday.

Top Bottom