Ukuleles are...

Hammond

Reaction score
:eek: Note: The original idea is not from me, the image is mine, I am inspired by a thread from other forum.

ukuleles_are.jpg

To me, my ukuleles are:

...therapy for the body (keeps my hands/forearms agile [if I skip a few days playing RA symptoms occur])

...therapy for the mind (songwriting and learning new music, practical application of music education)

...therapy for the soul (playing [and listening] helps purge the ills of this world as a catharsis)

Ukuleles are addictive

to me ukuleles are very Unique instruments.

Having grown up in a musical family and being a Cancer survivor I have a lot of respect for being able to play music. I love most types of music from jazz to classical. And I can attest that music does indeed heal. In fact music is one of my most important reasons for being and for feeling alive I have studied violin and classical guitar for years...

Having said all that, the ukulele has become my favorite instrument not only for the range of music and techniques that it lends itself to, but also for the variability/unique experience that each and every Uke brings to the act of making music. From the looks to the materials to the scale, tuning, strings, affordability etc m

I cannot think of any other musical instrument that has such a wide and varied palette of choices.
For instance even though classical guitar was my main instrument for many years I only have and use one cedar top guitar. Yet I have a sizable collection of ukuleles and play most of them. When I choose a song to record a critical decision of the experience is which Uke to use.

And even though my collection is quite nice and varied the whole collection probably costs as much a single very good but not a very best classical guitar or violin

So aside from the magic of being able to make music the ukulele is and wide range of expression that it allows.

The clearest example that comes to mind is Bach.

How many variations of sound, arrangements etc could possibly made of a Bach piece on a classical guitar? A handful at most. Now do the same on ukulele and you'll easily quadruple the number of variations and experiences possible on our simple and unassuming little instrument.

Sorry for the long post but I have thought about this in the past and wanted to share my angle of how I see the Uke.

Getting of my soapbox now :eek:ld:

Last edited:
:eek: Note: The original idea is not from me, the image is mine, I am inspired by a thread from other forum.

ukuleles_are.jpg

This is a nice composition!

The Ukulele gives me an alternate form of expression.

What is this business about Ukulele and BlueGrass? Ukulele and BlueGrass are perfectly compatible; they are not a traditional pairing but neither was peanutbutter and Icecream until Ben and Jerries came along. Dewie Balfa once told me "Tommy if you want to play Cajun Music on the Banjo... Do it. Its the Music thats important" Dewie is gone now but he was right! You want to play Bluegrass on Ukulele? Do It!

FUN :smileybounce:

They don't likes drums, horns, piano, etc. I always thought it was funny that such a new form of music (1930s-40s) got frozen in configuration so quickly. They even get picky about what brand of instrument (martin D28 guitar for example) that is OK to play.

So it's not just Ukuleles.

Last edited:
Why does Bluegrass hate ukulele so much!?
Cos it ain't a banjer , a fiddle , an upright bass ,a geetar or a mandolin.......as far as I can gather from my less than salutory experience on Banjohangout ....:rulez: ;)

Ukuleles are c̶h̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶m̶a̶g̶n̶e̶t̶s̶ fun!

Reminds me of my Island hometown. Lots of good memories from my childhood........ friends, camp fire, swaying cocoanut trees, sound of waves, seabreeze, etc, etc.

Can't beat the sound of a uku and acoustic combine.

Top Bottom