PDA

View Full Version : Ukuleles are...

Hammond
02-23-2015, 06:31 PM
:o Note: The original idea is not from me, the image is mine, I am inspired by a thread from other forum.

http://www.hamhk.com/webattachments/ukuleles_are.jpg

Booli
02-24-2015, 12:03 AM
To me, my ukuleles are:

...therapy for the body (keeps my hands/forearms agile [if I skip a few days playing RA symptoms occur])

...therapy for the mind (songwriting and learning new music, practical application of music education)

...therapy for the soul (playing [and listening] helps purge the ills of this world as a catharsis)

DownUpDave
02-24-2015, 12:05 AM
Ukuleles are addictive

drbekken
02-24-2015, 12:13 AM
Ukuleles are what you want them to be.

kissing
02-24-2015, 12:24 AM
Why does Bluegrass hate ukulele so much!?

Olarte
02-24-2015, 12:34 AM
to me ukuleles are very Unique instruments.

Having grown up in a musical family and being a Cancer survivor I have a lot of respect for being able to play music. I love most types of music from jazz to classical. And I can attest that music does indeed heal. In fact music is one of my most important reasons for being and for feeling alive I have studied violin and classical guitar for years...

Having said all that, the ukulele has become my favorite instrument not only for the range of music and techniques that it lends itself to, but also for the variability/unique experience that each and every Uke brings to the act of making music. From the looks to the materials to the scale, tuning, strings, affordability etc m

I cannot think of any other musical instrument that has such a wide and varied palette of choices.
For instance even though classical guitar was my main instrument for many years I only have and use one cedar top guitar. Yet I have a sizable collection of ukuleles and play most of them. When I choose a song to record a critical decision of the experience is which Uke to use.

And even though my collection is quite nice and varied the whole collection probably costs as much a single very good but not a very best classical guitar or violin

So aside from the magic of being able to make music the ukulele is and wide range of expression that it allows.

The clearest example that comes to mind is Bach.

How many variations of sound, arrangements etc could possibly made of a Bach piece on a classical guitar? A handful at most. Now do the same on ukulele and you'll easily quadruple the number of variations and experiences possible on our simple and unassuming little instrument.

Sorry for the long post but I have thought about this in the past and wanted to share my angle of how I see the Uke.

Getting of my soapbox now :old:

Olarte
02-24-2015, 12:42 AM
Not if you ask Jake. He loves and plays some kick ass bluegrass.

IamNoMan
02-24-2015, 12:50 AM
:o Note: The original idea is not from me, the image is mine, I am inspired by a thread from other forum.

http://www.hamhk.com/webattachments/ukuleles_are.jpg

This is a nice composition!

The Ukulele gives me an alternate form of expression.

What is this business about Ukulele and BlueGrass? Ukulele and BlueGrass are perfectly compatible; they are not a traditional pairing but neither was peanutbutter and Icecream until Ben and Jerries came along. Dewie Balfa once told me "Tommy if you want to play Cajun Music on the Banjo... Do it. Its the Music thats important" Dewie is gone now but he was right! You want to play Bluegrass on Ukulele? Do It!

PhilUSAFRet
02-24-2015, 01:39 AM
FUN :smileybounce:

wayfarer75
02-24-2015, 03:25 AM
:agree: :agree:

peterbright
02-24-2015, 03:37 AM
inspiring plus

UkerDanno
02-24-2015, 04:48 AM

right on, Phil...that's the most important part.:shaka:

vcs700s
02-24-2015, 04:55 AM

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly!

wrestlingmatt51
02-24-2015, 06:01 AM
Just so you know, "Ukuleles Aren't Allowed in Bluegrass" is a song. And it's played on the ukulele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DELE3PNsIo

Ukuleleblues
02-24-2015, 06:06 AM
They don't likes drums, horns, piano, etc. I always thought it was funny that such a new form of music (1930s-40s) got frozen in configuration so quickly. They even get picky about what brand of instrument (martin D28 guitar for example) that is OK to play.

So it's not just Ukuleles.

CeeJay
02-24-2015, 06:16 AM
Cos it ain't a banjer , a fiddle , an upright bass ,a geetar or a mandolin.......as far as I can gather from my less than salutory experience on Banjohangout ....:rulez: ;)

Brian W
02-24-2015, 06:25 AM
Ukuleles are happiness. And we all need a little of that everyday!

Sven-Uke
02-24-2015, 09:30 AM
.. like meeting new best friends.

HBolte
02-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Ukuleles are c̶h̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶m̶a̶g̶n̶e̶t̶s̶ fun!

fongie
02-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Reminds me of my Island hometown. Lots of good memories from my childhood........ friends, camp fire, swaying cocoanut trees, sound of waves, seabreeze, etc, etc.

Can't beat the sound of a uku and acoustic combine.

Hippie Dribble
02-24-2015, 10:22 AM
...beautiful. :love:

Cfiimei
02-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Ukuleles are wood, glue, and string, some bits of metal and bone, and perhaps some pieces of shell. That's all.

Not!

Down Up Dick
02-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Bluegrass doesn't like Harmonicas either. They allow some, but they don't like anything but Bluegrass stuff.

Well, shucks and heck, there goes my Golden Years Career! :old:

Fred Ukestone
02-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Ukuleles are ......Heavy Metal !!:shaka:76546

Hammond
02-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Ukuleles are the easy way to happiness.

So simple so easy to make so many kind of music. It can sounds harp like beautiful, its music heal souls.

:shaka::love:A lot of great thoughts here. I love reading them.

Jim Yates
02-25-2015, 08:05 AM

Bluegrassers are very strict about instruments. Mandolin, banjo, guitar, fiddle, upright bass. When Josh started playing Dobro in Flatt & Scruggs's band, "Bill Monroe, the father of bluegrass", expressed his displeasure..."That ain't no part of nothing.'" When I first went to bluegrass festivals, all electric instruments were banned. After a while, in the seventies, electric basses started appearing, but all other instruments were purely acoustic (played into a mic). Doc Watson was the first person I ever saw at a bluegrass festival who plugged his guitar in. The first time I saw him plugged, it sounded terrible, but the technology has advanced beyond those first generation Fishmans. Pick-ups are still frowned upon at bluegrass events.
Newgrass bands have been far more liberal in what instruments are allowed, mouth harp, Autoharp and even a bit of washboard, but you'll not see drums at many festivals.

I have a sticker on one of my cases that says, "Let's put the accordion back in bluegrass...where it belongs." 76568 Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys once included an accordion.

On the album Slumberin' On The Cumberland, Benny Martin, who played fiddle with Bill Monroe, plays an instrumental called Hillman on the ukulele. On the liner notes John Hartford described Benny as "the man who brought ukulele into bluegrass."

Ukejenny
02-25-2015, 09:56 AM
Ukuleles are YES.

It is a whole, big, wonderful world of yes. Yes to anything you can imagine, yes to anything you need in your life, yes to joy, yes to fun, yes to yes........yes, yes, YES!!!!!

Nickie
02-25-2015, 01:53 PM
The stuff dreams are made of......

Interesting to read all this stuff about Bluegrass Music. I knew Bill Monroe and some of the members of his band(s), but I never knew of his disdain for the dobro, just knew he didn't use one. Also never knew he included an accordion, must have been before my time. I've only heard one harmonica used by a Bluegrass band, and I can't remember who did it. Bluegrass musicians are serious purists of their art, and they have every right to be. They aren't "stuck" in the past, or anything else. How many "extra" instruments have Classical Music orchestras allowed?
Drums would be the biggest no-no....ugh! I've heard some recordings using electric instruments, and they sound horrific. As far as them being Martin fans, you can play any guitar make you like, but it needs to sound Martinisque. Just like the Gibson banjos and mandolins.
I aspire to learning to play some Bluegrass on my uke, because I can't play any of the Bluegrass instruments. Nothing wrong with it. But I'd never expect to join a Bluegrass band. I've jammed with one fiddler, but I couldn't keep up with him...he ran away from all but the best of us! I've thought of tuning our 8 string uke like a mandolin, but I'm afraid of breaking it.

TLab3000
02-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Ukuleles are the reason for me getting stoned on f.uu.c. because I said that ukuleles are an okay replacement for guitars when you can't play them anymore because of health reasons...

hucklelele
02-25-2015, 02:46 PM
Ukuleles are...pleasing ear candy!!!:music:

timmit65
02-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Simply liberating!!!

TheCraftedCow
02-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Who sez they don't fit with Bluegrass? Fir 25 years there has been a bluegrass jam every Friday nite near Dallas, Oregon. For quite a few years I was the only one. Now there are two uke only, and another fellow splits time between his guitar and his banjo ukulele. It ain't like takin' a knife to a gunfight....it's taking several sawed-off shotguns.