Help me with Kamaka Gold Label

Curtisleemcleod

Reaction score
I am hoping someone can help me learn more about this Kamaka Gold Label uke that I found at my Grandparents house. I searched the Internet and I know it is a Kamaka Gold Label from the 50's but every one I found has a fretboard that is different from this one. This one is all made from one piece of wood. Could someone please tell me what this is and what it is worth. Please note the cracks and missing headstock logo. I probably will be having it repaired and keeping it but I am just curious.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 44
value would be modest, a few hundred or a bit better. i gave my gold label soprano to my grandson, like yours, one piece front and back, nice sound as in NICE sound. you don't have to fix it, the crack in the koa back isn't a big deal if you don't make it one, and it's koa and that can happen. the best use for it would be to put strings on and play it, and if you want it out give it to a family member. they are special instruments.

Perhaps MM Stan will weight in. He gave me a lot of specifics about my White Label.

Value in excellent condition is around $450.

The lack of fingerboard, integrated saddle, gold label and body shape put it at mid-1950s, like the one Kamaka seen here. (Scroll down the page halfway or so):

http://www.kamakahawaii.com/ukegallery.html

If you're looking to sell, condition is a big factor in the value. In addition to the large back cracks, I see the cracks below the bridge that are characteristic of so many of these midcentury Kamakas. My guess is that it would fetch about $200, give or take. BTW, I believe you can have the headstock decal replaced by Kamaka if you want to spring for shipping (or are planning a trip to Hawaii). But that decal isn't really an issue.

Top Bottom