Pono RT-PC(S) or Kanilea KSDLX?

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I am wondering about users comments on either or both of above ukuleles. Getting ready for next ukulele. I own a Pono AT and have a custom spruce/walnut made in Vancouver. I like them both but the spruce top custom is the sound I like. I just like spruce tops. It's the crispness and definition they bring. I seem to like flurocarbon strings the best.

I have never played a Kanilea KSDLX or a Pono RTC-PC (S) but really liked the sound samples. Both great looking and sounding ukuleles. The 300-400 difference in price is not a deterrent....I will just save longer.

So, who has played either or both and what are opinions. Is the Kanilea A definite step up from the Pono. I know the nut is wider and fit & finish is reported as being fantastic. I know what my AT deliveris and heard great things on the Pono RT-PC so with spruce top.....it's a contender and astep up I'm sure from my current Pono. I want something better.

What would you choose and why? I realize just personal opinions so that is why I'm asking.

I think the Kanilea in general is a substantial step up, but for the rosewood/spruce model, not sure I'd pay that much more for it. I'm still kicking myself because I didn't buy one of the Pono spruce topped curley maple models before the price doubled when it became a "professional" model.

There's a used Kanile'a KSDLX on the Fleamarket Marketplace right now, if you're still interested.
Good luck!

Thanks for heads up. I forget to check that site. A little short at this time ........ This one looks like a good one!

I don't know if you have communicated via email with Andrew from HMS in the past. He is a great resource of hands on knowledge when it comes to comparing one instrument to another. He has given me great, unbiased opinions regarding ukulele A vs ukulele B. Of course I have then gotten excited and bought something so don't talk to him unless you have the money;), or more will power then me.

Pono Pro Classics really do perform way above their pay grade. Kaytsax in her "Keeper" post pretty much said they are real close in sound to her Ko'olau that cost three times as much.

I do like my Pono Pro Classics but the Kanileas sure are nice. To keep it in perspective the Ponos are my "beater" ukes. The Ponos I particularly like are the cedar topped ones, the spruce one I had to try was not as good as the cedar. To me, on the Pono, the Spruce top was more muted and less responsive than the cedar. I also think Pono (and Ko'olau) really make their magic with mahogany back and sides. I don't think the Ponos keep resale value well compared to Kanilea. With both Pono and Kanilea I have found that it makes a difference which particular uke you are playing.

Both Kanilea and Pono have some quirks. With Pono, the thick neck, larger size and heavier build do affect some players negatively. With Kanilea some people do not like the wider neck; I have trouble with the Kanilea neck on a tenor. That KSDLX sure is appealing. It's really hard to pick based on other people's experience. Much as I love my Ponos I think they are not for everyone. Of course, my advice in this case is easy - just get both of them.;)

I had an opportunity to play the Kanilea KSDLX at the factory tour last November and loved it. Sound and playability were outstanding. I did end up buying a Pono Rosewood/Spruce because I couldn't justify the extra $400 for the Kanilea and I wanted a radius fretboard. But if the extra $$ isn't a factor, buy the Kanilea.

Top Bottom