Boat Paddle vs. Hoffmann ukuleles

Hluth

Reaction score
I wasn’t posting here when the Boat Paddle ukulele name was changed, and wasn’t able to participate when there were some discussions about the topic. So, I’m going to weigh in as the maker of these instruments with the actual reasons for the name change. Here are the three primary reasons:

1. The Boat Paddle name no longer represents the work I am doing now. The name Boat Paddle came about to describe an instrument I was making when I had only made one or two. I no longer make this instrument and just about everything about its construction has changed.

2. The name Boat Paddle gave the wrong image. I literally had people come to my shop asking me to make boat paddles (the kind you paddle with), and had regular phone calls like “why is my Evinrude missing on the fourth cylinder”. This was a constant annoyance

3. I’ve reached a point in my experience where I feel I have made my product much better than some of the earlier Boat paddles that are still out there. Hoffmann ukuleles will start with a level of quality that can be trusted more than a name that represents some good and some not-so-good instruments.

Moving forward, I’m very excited about making high quality Hoffmann ukuleles based on all I learned while under the name Boat Paddle. I urge all Boat Paddle fans to realize that this is just an extension of work already done, and that the Hoffmann name will become synonymous with only high quality musical instruments.

All seem like good reasons to change. Your product seems to stand for itself and in time the new name will have its own identity. Of course, you may sometimes get confused with this guy, but hopefully it won't be a big deal:

http://www.danielhoffmanluthier.com/about.html

I haven't yet had a chance to see your work in person but am sure I'll be impressed based on the many great things I've heard. Keep up the great work.

a craftsman gets better with practice. you will never stop learning.

Re-branding is a brave thing to do. I did like your old name. It had a quirkiness that somehow personified your very unique take on instrument design. It was just that innovative approach and your willingness to push the outside of the envelope that drew me to commission one of your Ukes. To be the custodian of the ML Tenor that you built for me is a constant joy every time I play it (which is very often). Also, working with you on that project has made me want to collaborate on another in the not too distant future.
Your new work delights me.

I know you make great ukes. I've played some of my friends' and your samples at UWC. I'm also an advertising and marketing guy. You have a great reputation. I don't know exactly what you're doing marketing-wise but I'd definitely us the line "formerly Boat Paddle Ukuleles" along with your new name for a while. FWIW.

I love the Boat Paddle name and never took it literally. But Hoffmann is fine too.

Whatever the name, Jerry, you make fine instruments.

As I have said before, I look forward to working with you on a custom, should you decide to do customs again.

I always thought of my Boat Paddle as a Jerry Hoffmann made ukulele so the name change makes sense to me.

I am the proud owner of a BP 12 fret concert that looks like my canoe paddle but plays like the sweet, fine instrument that it is. It makes me smile every time I play it. I often study it just to admire the simple design and fine craftsmanship. I really like your creative designs and someday I hope to buy a Hoffman tenor. The new name works for me.

All seem like good reasons to change. Your product seems to stand for itself and in time the new name will have its own identity. Of course, you may sometimes get confused with this guy, but hopefully it won't be a big deal:

http://www.danielhoffmanluthier.com/about.html

I haven't yet had a chance to see your work in person but am sure I'll be impressed based on the many great things I've heard. Keep up the great work.

I find it impossible to read the site; small thin gray lines on a field of black.

Top Bottom