Sloppy but it works.

Icelander53

Reaction score
DSC02279.jpg

Here's a simple uke humidity cabinet made totally from scrap wood. All I had to buy was some PVC insulation and window or door insulation strips. I put the PVC insulation around a wood dowel and cut notches in the foam for the uke neck, then I used half pieces of insulation to separate the ukes from each other at the bottom.

Not pretty but it works and it's raised the humidity from 30% in my home to %42 give or take. And it's right at arms reach so I can grab a uke and play one song without making a chore out of getting the uke in my hands. And that is really the reason I made it. Not as a display case but as a easy access case. Someday when I have better tools I may try something nicer.

Easy and anyone can do it and likely do it a lot better.

DSC02248.jpg

Here's most of the crew. What is missing is my favorite uke. A Pono Cedar/ebony. The Pono Hog got returned and the Cedar/Ebony in it's place.

Thanks. Well woodworking is not my forte.:p And all I have is hand tools for the job so every cut is with a hand saw. It's kinda neat actually because closed up it looks pretty crappy but then you open it and there is some really pretty instruments looking out at you.

I like it!!! What is your water source? Are those sponges on the little top shelf? Now I'm thinking I need to start searching for a kitchen hutch with a big upper cabinet... Salvation Army, Goodwill......... I bet I could find one pretty cheap.

Not bad at all. I like the foam insulation separators. I just reorganized my cabinet, removing the ukes I have up for sale. Makes for a nicer presentation.

Uke shelf 4x.jpg

Looks great.

What on earth is that white thing at the top of your second picture? It looks awesome!

I like it!!! What is your water source? Are those sponges on the little top shelf? Now I'm thinking I need to start searching for a kitchen hutch with a big upper cabinet... Salvation Army, Goodwill......... I bet I could find one pretty cheap.

Yes sponges in a little plastic tray. In such a small space you don't need that much. I thought of buying a nice cabinet and modifying it but something made me want to do this myself and use up some of my scrap wood. Plus I'm the type that when I get an idea I usually act on it immediately which is often a mistake.

Looks great.

What on earth is that white thing at the top of your second picture? It looks awesome!

That's a concert Mahalo surf solid body electric. Unfortunately the pickup was junk and didn't work for long. However while it did work it really has a nice sound which I prefer to the Les Paul. However trying to get customer service from Mahalo was a dead end without even a response to emails. So. I don't do Mahalo anymore. I only try and deal with businesses that I consider responsible. I do break that rule out of laziness at times. Plus it's a concert and I don't really do concerts except for my Firefly.

I think it looks fine. As long as it does the trick, who cares?

Well that's my attitude also and it's a good one to have with my skill set. I do like opening up that shabby box and finding gold inside. But the main goals were humidification and ease of access and those we have accomplished. I'll continue to work on it and make some small improvements.

My goal here is to let all those without the great woodworking skills of others can put together a serviceable uke cabinet easily and quickly.

Top Bottom