PDA

View Full Version : songs NOT to play

Rubbertoe
03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Do you remember that scene in Wayne's World when Wayne starts to play Stairway to Heaven in the guitar store and the sales dude stops him and points to a sign that reads "Absolutely NO Stairway" (or something like that)?

I'm planning to visit Hawaii and I was wondering what song should I NOT play in a uke store when testing out ukes? I don't want to get that look that says: "Man, don't these tourists know any other songs?"

Conversely, what songs would get me props (and maybe even a discount)?

Peace.

bbycrts
03-04-2009, 08:04 PM
I'll take a stab at it...

Tiny Bubbles

Howlin Hobbit
03-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Hey! What's wrong with Tiny Bubbles (http://howlinhobbit.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=480)?

HoldinCoffee
03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Not sure what would get you a discount but...
DON'T play: "7 Nation Army" by the White Stripes."

I know! Play one of the tHeDiRTyJoHnsOn's righteous slide blues tunes (I think I screwed up the sPeLLinG)

casetone2514
03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm Yours
While my Guitar/Ukulele gently Groans A Yet Another Tired Rendition of a George Harrison Classic.
Super Mario.
Type "Ukulele" in a You Tube search and the top 5 songs there are the ones not to play.

Try doing Stairway to Heaven.

Pippin
03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
I have actually played Stairway to Heaven on a baritone ukulele for years, but I play it correctly. I can't tell you how many guitarists play it wrong and how many times I've heard it in music stores played by some Gumby with the wrong finger-picking string sequence.

I once heard a hatchet-job of Day Tripper... a signature Beatles song... by some Goob that thought he was soooo cool. I couldn't stand it. So, I cranked the guitar and played it the right way. hehe

Whatever you play, if it a signature riff, like the beginning of Day Tripper, make sure you play it properly or you won't impress anyone.

Ukulele JJ
03-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Type "Ukulele" in a You Tube search and the top 5 songs there are the ones not to play.

LOL! Good system.

Here's what I just got when I did it:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Some William H. Macy original :p
Super Mario
Theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
White Sandy Beach

"I'm Yours" is nowhere on there, probably thanks to the brothers Warner. :mad:

JJ

dominicfoundthemooon
03-05-2009, 02:30 AM
LOL! Good system.

Here's what I just got when I did it:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Some William H. Macy original :p
Super Mario
Theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
White Sandy Beach

"I'm Yours" is nowhere on there, probably thanks to the brothers Warner. :mad:

JJ

well i must have violated this about 200 times when i was in Hawaii over the Christmas break.. every shop i went to i am sure i played "white sandy beach" but most likely i as so bad it was unrecognizable so i am sure it was okay! but i guess right after that i would break into a bluegrass strum of "don't think twice it's alright" which did get me a few funny looks!

carpekd
03-05-2009, 03:01 AM
if one more person asks me to play "I'm yours" i'm gonna explode LOL

I just learned the complete opening riff to "sweet child of mine" by guns and roses...
that should turn some heads on the uke :)

spazus_maximus
03-05-2009, 03:06 AM
Man I would hate to run into you guys in a music shop.....I only wish I knew how to play those 5 songs...lol.....I'll try to be quiet:p

hoosierhiver
03-05-2009, 03:49 AM
if one more person asks me to play "I'm yours" i'm gonna explode

i"m really sick of that one too.

Ukulele JJ
03-05-2009, 04:02 AM
if one more person asks me to play "I'm yours" i'm gonna explodei"m really sick of that one too.

You could always just bust out into "Baby I'm Yours (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCxbD3M6aI)" and enjoy the confused looks on their faces.

JJ

bbycrts
03-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey! What's wrong with Tiny Bubbles (http://howlinhobbit.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=480)?

Nothing's wrong with it...but in my mind a tourist playing "Tiny Bubbles" in a ukulele shop screams "Don't these haoles know there's more to ukulele than Tiny Bubbles?"

Captain Google
03-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Nothing's wrong with it...but in my mind a tourist playing "Tiny Bubbles" in a ukulele shop screams "Don't these haoles know there's more to ukulele than Tiny Bubbles?"

I think you're confusing Tiny Bubbles with Tiny Tim.

I'd probably bust out some C G Am F, myself.

bbycrts
03-05-2009, 05:47 AM
I think you're confusing Tiny Bubbles with Tiny Tim.

I'd probably bust out some C G Am F, myself.

No, I'm thinking of Don Ho playing Tiny Bubbles for the Brady kids when the Brady Bunch visited Hawaii...

cpatch
03-05-2009, 06:00 AM
I once heard a hatchet-job of Day Tripper... a signature Beatles song... by some Goob that thought he was soooo cool. I couldn't stand it. So, I cranked the guitar and played it the right way. hehe

Whatever you play, if it a signature riff, like the beginning of Day Tripper, make sure you play it properly or you won't impress anyone.
One of the guys at a local SoCal guitar store told me about a kid who came in and started to massacre the opening riff to Aerosmith's "Dream On". Another customer came over and offered to help show him how to play it properly and got snubbed by the kid, who was convinced he was doing it right. After the customer left a sales guy came over to the kid and informed him he'd just blown off Joe Perry.

deach
03-05-2009, 06:04 AM

I've always hated guitar store show-offs. Maybe the guy was just concentrating on the sound or the playbility of a the guitar rather than trying to duplicate a riff.

upskydowncloud
03-05-2009, 06:04 AM
One of the guys at a local SoCal guitar store told me about a kid who came in and started to massacre the opening riff to Aerosmith's "Dream On". Another customer came over and offered to help show him how to play it properly and got snubbed by the kid, who was convinced he was doing it right. After the customer left a sales guy came over to the kid and informed him he'd just blown off Joe Perry.

That's hilarious!

Fred Miu
03-05-2009, 06:10 AM

at least your girlfriend doesnt have that song as your ringtone when you call her, and thats ALL she wants you to play even if you hate it.

.....i concur my brother......i strongly share your pain lol

MisoHappy
03-05-2009, 06:18 AM
I played Weeps in a music store, and the salesman stopped me and asked me where I learned how to play :p

Idk, just don't play any songs that everyone knows how to play, and don't play anything that'll make you look like a noob.

MisoHappy
03-05-2009, 06:19 AM

Amen

I'm sick of playing that

deach
03-05-2009, 06:19 AM
Play any damn thing you want. It's your money.

NukeDOC
03-05-2009, 06:22 AM
never fails when you walk into the local guitar center:
1. stairway
2. opening riff to bon jovi's "ill be there for you"
3. oh yah and now you get a lot of "ironman"

wanna turn heads on da uke... play some dire straits.
wanna get kicked outa da uke store... play jingle bells... in june... continuously for 20 mins.

Fred Miu
03-05-2009, 06:32 AM

you speaks the truth. they havent given me any money to play that song haha

sukie
03-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Got a question for all of you: What's wrong with being a Noob?

I've been playing for a year and still consider myself a noob. I can hardly play anything from memory. When I went into Guitar Center to buy an amp I totally slaughtered "The Ash Grove" -- one of the only songs I know by heart (and it's easy!). I'm not supposed to play something so I can try out the equipment before I buy it? I guess I'm confused here.

And you really should listen to Snake Suspenderz "Tiny Bubbles". It's terrific.

tuscadero
03-05-2009, 07:48 AM
The thing is, if it's a standard, be it guitar standard or uke standard, people get tired of hearing the s.o.s. butchered daily... BUT... if you can play Tiny Bubbles on a Fender Strat, or Stairway to Heaven on your uke, people are often amused.
Personally, I don't know many uke standards, but I can play Stairway pretty well and I'm learning Sweet Child o' Mine (there's a good tutorial on YouTube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCbhKU7e8ZQ and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgG9IDUXm0&feature=related) and when people think my ukulele is a silly toy, I go straight to that bag of tricks—shuts them up every time.

geoffsuke
03-05-2009, 09:03 AM
i thnk mmmbop has nearly been tired out. well maybe it was when it was released. but you are guaranteed to get the weird looks if you wack out the intro to that. a suggest a jj song

Rubbertoe
03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
I was thinking Jack Johnson would be good choice too. I just have to work on more of his songs before I test out a uke. I'm a little surprised that no one forbade me to play Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World. That was the first song I thought of not playing. But probably b/c you really have to do Brudda Iz justice to do Brudda Iz in public.

cpatch
03-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm a little surprised that no one forbade me to play Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World. That was the first song I thought of not playing. But probably b/c you really have to do Brudda Iz justice to do Brudda Iz in public.
I think if you're a haole and you attempt this one you're probably in big trouble unless you nail it (and even then it's questionable), especially if you include the "ooo's". Dedicate it to Gabby and you can expect a beating.

tad
03-05-2009, 11:36 AM
]

That "signature" is plagiarized. The riff was actually a throw-off by Clapton from a cover of Ray Charles' "What'd I Say" when he was playing with John Mayall and the Blues Breakers.

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxdLDo5sojo

(It's right after the painfully long drum solo...)

haolejohn
03-05-2009, 11:42 AM
The thing is, if it's a standard, be it guitar standard or uke standard, people get tired of hearing the s.o.s. butchered daily... BUT... if you can play Tiny Bubbles on a Fender Strat, or Stairway to Heaven on your uke, people are often amused.
Personally, I don't know many uke standards, but I can play Stairway pretty well and I'm learning Sweet Child o' Mine (there's a good tutorial on YouTube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCbhKU7e8ZQ and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgG9IDUXm0&feature=related) and when people think my ukulele is a silly toy, I go straight to that bag of tricks—shuts them up every time.

How's your concert? THe backpacker is sitting in a corner.

BTW- Just play some chords and make your own song up. That's what I do. Wait who am I kidding the only place to buy ukes here is from Ukerepublic.

PaulGeo
03-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Boy.... several months of learning to play, and here I find out all the songs I've learned are not acceptable. Oh well... I could never play it exactly like someone recorded it anyways ;)

Rubbertoe
03-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Boy.... several months of learning to play, and here I find out all the songs I've learned are not acceptable. Oh well... I could never play it exactly like someone recorded it anyways ;)

That's how I'm feeling. :confused:

cpatch
03-05-2009, 12:53 PM
That "signature" is plagiarized. The riff was actually a throw-off by Clapton from a cover of Ray Charles' "What'd I Say" when he was playing with John Mayall and the Blues Breakers.
Except Clapton recorded that in 1966 and the Beatles recorded (and released) Day Tripper in 1965. Clapton's riff was a nod to the Beatles, not the other way around.

tad
03-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Except Clapton recorded that in 1966 and the Beatles recorded (and released) Day Tripper in 1965. Clapton's riff was a nod to the Beatles, not the other way around.

According to Wikipedia, you're right. But seen this "fact" reported *multiple* times. Weird. Thanks for clearing it up.

kalmario
03-05-2009, 05:19 PM
is it acceptable to play 'I'm yours' if you medley it with 'three little birds' by bob?

i can't help but play the opening riff to "its a heartache' when i pickup up a uke, its kind of second nature now

Cliff

generem
03-05-2009, 06:18 PM

x3

All that practicing for NOTHING...

freedive135
03-06-2009, 04:33 AM
You can always bust out this Historical Ukulele Standard.....
It gave this classic phrase to the english speaking world...

"Vo doe de o"

Chord sheet
http://mrzzsukulelesongs.blogspot.com/2006/05/crazy-words-crazy-tune-lyrics-jack.html

song
http://www.authentichistory.com/1920s/music/Irving_Aaronson_and_the_Commanders-Crazy_Word--Crazy_Toons.html

Sheet music cover
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=211&pictureid=1205

Or you could always strum a few bars of "Gilligan's Island"...

tuscadero
03-06-2009, 06:08 AM
I actually play the concert more than any of my others, it's just the right size for me, I think. Thanks so much for hooking me up! I'm sorry you're not loving the backpacker, perhaps you can trade it for another uke?

UkuleleD
03-06-2009, 06:18 AM
x3

All that practicing for NOTHING...

are you "times 3" guys kidding me? Don't let others opinions determine what you play on your uke, thats ridiculous, play what you like to play..hope you are kidding :p

cpatch
03-06-2009, 06:36 AM
Or you could always strum a few bars of "Gilligan's Island"...
Even better (just to bring this full circle), play "Stairway to Gilligan's Island":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTCYLbFxTpI

freedive135
03-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Even better (just to bring this full circle), play "Stairway to Gilligan's Island":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTCYLbFxTpI

Nice why didn't I think of that!!!!!!

haolejohn
03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I actually play the concert more than any of my others, it's just the right size for me, I think. Thanks so much for hooking me up! I'm sorry you're not loving the backpacker, perhaps you can trade it for another uke?

THe backpacker sounds good. I just really love the uke right now. I'm glad that the mele made you happy.

iamdanielle
03-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Amen. Who cares.

ricdoug
03-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I think if you're a haole and you attempt this one you're probably in big trouble unless you nail it (and even then it's questionable), especially if you include the "ooo's". Dedicate it to Gabby and you can expect a beating.

I loved Judy Garland's haole version, LONG before Iz tackled it. Ric

bornagainjeeper
03-08-2009, 09:40 PM
i will put my vote in for I'm yours...
also
Banana Pancakes (Jack Johnson)
No Woman No Cry (Bob Marley)
anything by john mayer

song that will get you a free uke?
Anything by Bett Middler...they will want you out as fast as possible