songs NOT to play

Rubbertoe

Reaction score
Do you remember that scene in Wayne's World when Wayne starts to play Stairway to Heaven in the guitar store and the sales dude stops him and points to a sign that reads "Absolutely NO Stairway" (or something like that)?

I'm planning to visit Hawaii and I was wondering what song should I NOT play in a uke store when testing out ukes? I don't want to get that look that says: "Man, don't these tourists know any other songs?"

Conversely, what songs would get me props (and maybe even a discount)?

Peace.

I'll take a stab at it...

Tiny Bubbles

Not sure what would get you a discount but...
DON'T play: "7 Nation Army" by the White Stripes."

I know! Play one of the tHeDiRTyJoHnsOn's righteous slide blues tunes (I think I screwed up the sPeLLinG)

Last edited:
I'm Yours
While my Guitar/Ukulele gently Groans A Yet Another Tired Rendition of a George Harrison Classic.
Super Mario.
Type "Ukulele" in a You Tube search and the top 5 songs there are the ones not to play.

Try doing Stairway to Heaven.

I have actually played Stairway to Heaven on a baritone ukulele for years, but I play it correctly. I can't tell you how many guitarists play it wrong and how many times I've heard it in music stores played by some Gumby with the wrong finger-picking string sequence.

I once heard a hatchet-job of Day Tripper... a signature Beatles song... by some Goob that thought he was soooo cool. I couldn't stand it. So, I cranked the guitar and played it the right way. hehe

Whatever you play, if it a signature riff, like the beginning of Day Tripper, make sure you play it properly or you won't impress anyone.

Type "Ukulele" in a You Tube search and the top 5 songs there are the ones not to play.

LOL! Good system.

Here's what I just got when I did it:

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  2. Some William H. Macy original :p
  3. Super Mario
  4. Theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
  5. White Sandy Beach

"I'm Yours" is nowhere on there, probably thanks to the brothers Warner. :mad:

JJ

LOL! Good system.

Here's what I just got when I did it:

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  2. Some William H. Macy original :p
  3. Super Mario
  4. Theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
  5. White Sandy Beach

"I'm Yours" is nowhere on there, probably thanks to the brothers Warner. :mad:

JJ

well i must have violated this about 200 times when i was in Hawaii over the Christmas break.. every shop i went to i am sure i played "white sandy beach" but most likely i as so bad it was unrecognizable so i am sure it was okay! but i guess right after that i would break into a bluegrass strum of "don't think twice it's alright" which did get me a few funny looks!

if one more person asks me to play "I'm yours" i'm gonna explode LOL

I just learned the complete opening riff to "sweet child of mine" by guns and roses...
that should turn some heads on the uke :)

Man I would hate to run into you guys in a music shop.....I only wish I knew how to play those 5 songs...lol.....I'll try to be quiet:p

Nothing's wrong with it...but in my mind a tourist playing "Tiny Bubbles" in a ukulele shop screams "Don't these haoles know there's more to ukulele than Tiny Bubbles?"

I think you're confusing Tiny Bubbles with Tiny Tim.

I'd probably bust out some C G Am F, myself.

I once heard a hatchet-job of Day Tripper... a signature Beatles song... by some Goob that thought he was soooo cool. I couldn't stand it. So, I cranked the guitar and played it the right way. hehe

Whatever you play, if it a signature riff, like the beginning of Day Tripper, make sure you play it properly or you won't impress anyone.
One of the guys at a local SoCal guitar store told me about a kid who came in and started to massacre the opening riff to Aerosmith's "Dream On". Another customer came over and offered to help show him how to play it properly and got snubbed by the kid, who was convinced he was doing it right. After the customer left a sales guy came over to the kid and informed him he'd just blown off Joe Perry.

I've always hated guitar store show-offs. Maybe the guy was just concentrating on the sound or the playbility of a the guitar rather than trying to duplicate a riff.

One of the guys at a local SoCal guitar store told me about a kid who came in and started to massacre the opening riff to Aerosmith's "Dream On". Another customer came over and offered to help show him how to play it properly and got snubbed by the kid, who was convinced he was doing it right. After the customer left a sales guy came over to the kid and informed him he'd just blown off Joe Perry.

That's hilarious!

if one more person asks me to play "I'm yours" i'm gonna explode LOL

at least your girlfriend doesnt have that song as your ringtone when you call her, and thats ALL she wants you to play even if you hate it.

.....i concur my brother......i strongly share your pain lol

I played Weeps in a music store, and the salesman stopped me and asked me where I learned how to play :p

Idk, just don't play any songs that everyone knows how to play, and don't play anything that'll make you look like a noob.

Top Bottom