NUD: Collings UT2 Doghair (and FedEx tip)

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I've long drooled over the Collings Doghair finish. When I saw that HMS got a UT2 (all mahogany) with custom Doghair finish in stock with an ebony fretboard and bridge instead of the usual rosewood (most I've seen have rosewood and it doesn't look right to me), and then heard Corey's sound sample where the tone just oozed my favorite attributes, I was done. Finito. Had to have it. Would have knocked over my own grandmother to get to it.

This particular uke was on display by Collings at NAMM so Andrew and team needed a couple of days to work their magic on it and make it look better than new. Waiting sucks, but better wait and have it arrive perfect, than have it rushed and be disappointed. Of course, HMS would never let it out the door if it wasn't the best it could be.

HMS shipped it 2nd day air Thursday. As my kids have their first uke class on Sat, I feared missing the delivery. And then having to wait until Monday would have been unbearable. Once I had the tracking number, I logged into FedEx and had them hold it at a nearby FedEx Center. Lo and behold, they called today. Not only did I not have to worry about missing the delivery Saturday, it came a day early (so same as Next Day!). Free tip: the guy at FedEx told me customers often get them a day early when they're routed to a local FedEx Center. Who knew? I think I'll do this with all FedEx packages going forward.

I know some people won't care for it because it's quite unconventional looking, but it is really spectacular looking to me. And, my goodness, the tone is exceptional. Here is a link to Corey's sound sample.

So, I am now a very lucky owner of two very special Collings ukes.

And I still have three sopranos to sell (see signature), so come and get 'em!

View attachment 76671View attachment 76675View attachment 76672View attachment 76673View attachment 76674

Very nice.

I usually tend to lean towards a simple plainer look and bought myself the Collings UT2 mahogany but this Uke is stunning. I haven't been fortunate to see one close up (only pictures ) but I think it is very very cool indeed.

Nice score!!! The MOT headstock plate is awesome.

Last edited:
A unique acquisition. I am sure you will enjoy this very much.

Love that dog hair it is so unique. Maybe one of these days I'll get to see it in person.

Ah....so it was you who got it....I am so close to get it. :iwant:
Congradz on the new uke Eddie....

Congrats Eddie! I know that the doghair finish is not for everyone, but I have always loved the way it looks. Especially with the ebony as you said, and the mother of toilet seat headstock! :) I would love to have one with a jet black spruce top, with the doghair on the mahogany back and sides. And with the pearloid headstock. I have never seen one with this combo. The spruce top ones I have seen have the ebony headstock.

What I don't understand is why Collings continues to put the "pick guard" down by the sound hole as if it were a guitar. If they are going to put them on their ukes, they should move them up to the treble side of the upper bout where they would actually be functional and not just window dressing, like most builders do. And do you think that it reduces the vibrations on the soundboard?

Last edited:
Aloha Eddie,
I seen one a week ago at HMS, but I seen another one about 3 months ago too...they both sounded different, but if I had the money, I would have gotten
it.. they do sound nice to me... congrats and happy strummings

Congrats Eddie. Collings ukes truly are perfection. The MOT headplate is perfect with the black doghair body.

Thanks, All. Responses here:

@mmstan - This is the one that was there last week. I hope you gave it a little love!

@katysax - You will see and play it, not doubt!

@janeray1940 - I've only seen pics of the red doghair. I prefer the black and white myself but maybe if I saw the red in person it would be different

@coolcow - To have something you covet, well, that will add a little strut to my walk today! ;-)

@dkcrown - I don't think that pick guard affects sound but to be fair I haven't heard it without it. I can say this thing has amazing sustain. I agree to be most functional it should be moved to the upper bout. But, aesthetically, I think it looks nice as placed. For me, I tend to play more over the sound hole than above the fretboard, so it works out well for my style (or lack thereof ;-).

Congrats Eddie! I love the dog hair look, and of course I have always loved the haircut headstock shape. Since I already have a uke with some MOP details (beautiful Talsma blue burst semi hollow body electric), I would probably go a little less blingy on my dream version.

Still loving my Clara BTW.

–Lori

Top Bottom