Do you use a wound C string on your Tenor? Brand?

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
As I seem to favour wound C's on my 6 string and they break a lot (I mean a lot). I wanted to get in a stock of wound C's.
Beside sets of OEM Worth's for 6 string tenors, I have some Savarez singles (.022 inch, Ref NFA 100) but this has only lasted a few weeks.

Don't mind the frequent changes but do want to have enough on hand.

Are there any other wound C strings that people would recommend?

PS. What other brands do people use for their 6 string tenors? I'd like to find a lower tension set to my current.

Last edited:
I've used South Coast and Alvarez for my tenor both with wound c strings, low G. Then I changed to Freemont blacks without a wound c string. They are all very good and have different qualities. I am now playing the Freemonts with a high G. Very different then low G but a pleasant change. If your ukulele budget can accommodate changing strings frequently it is fun..

Hollis, I don't own or play a six string tenor but have used South Coast wound C strings with great success on my four string tenor. GHS also have wound C strings that are relatively inexpensive, close to $2.00.

Hollis, I don't own or play a six string tenor but have used South Coast wound C strings with great success on my four string tenor. GHS also have wound C strings that are relatively inexpensive, close to $2.00.

Dave, can you get the South Coast wound C's as singles? If so, were can you get them?

I've used South Coast and Alvarez for my tenor both with wound c strings, low G. Then I changed to Freemont blacks without a wound c string. They are all very good and have different qualities. I am now playing the Freemonts with a high G. Very different then low G but a pleasant change. If your ukulele budget can accommodate changing strings frequently it is fun..

Do the Fremont wound C's come as singles or only in sets and what's the best source for them. I have found the Fremont low G singles but not wound C's at the Ukesite.

I prefer the sound of a wound 3rd but I can't get one to last more than a couple of weeks. Would widening the slot in the nut help?

Although I can not feel any rough spots on the frets (the Uke is 4 years old and was previously owned by a professional who tours a lot), I was thinking of bringing it to a guitar tech and see about dressing the frets.

Also was looking at those bridge beads but don't know if they would be suitable for a 6 string with their octave pairs.

I change my strings about 4 months but haven't had issues with any of my wound strings wearing too quickly

I really wonder what the core factor is? The strings themselves, the frets, the way we install them? Surely a mystery!

PS. In over a year I have never had a string break on any of my other Ukes.

Last edited:
I buy stacks of GHS Vanguard Smooth Wound Classical Guitar strings. I pick them out by gauge and find them thin enough that they fit pretty much any nut without a problem. Depending on the uke I use them as a wound C or low G. It gives me more options for changing just the low strings. They are a lot cheaper than the Southcoast strings for a single string.

From where your strings are failing it seems like you have a burr or some problem on your frets.

I have a mixed feeling about the beads. I used bridge bone beads for a while and kind of liked them but I thought they looked like teeth and that my uke looked like it belongs to a cannibal. I started using small beads that come from a craft store. They work great and don't make the bridge so crowded. They'd probably work well on an 8 string.

My Pono Pro Classic came with a wound C string which I absolutely hated. Changed strings to D'Addario Nyltechs and have not looked back.

I've used a couple, but come back to the GHS H-T13, which is an aluminum wound string that is lightly polished (read: quieter than a standard wound string). It fits in really well with any of the "regular" ukulele strings, nylon or fluoro. We also make it for a lot of private label companies, so there's a good chance if you haven't tried it in a GHS set, you've still tried it.

As far as the Bridge Beads are concerned, it will depend on the space between the doubled strings, the 1(A) and 3(G) courses. Didn't work as expected on my 6 or 8 for that matter. Used a bead on one and tied the other (did not like the look) and have not tried beads from a hobby shop or craft store. I do use Bridge Beads on my 4 string (which has a tie bridge) and is much easier when changing strings.

Top Bottom