Small Light Speakers for gigs

Doug W

Reaction score
Greetings,

This is our PA system that we have used for years after rescuing it from a neighbor's back yard before a rainstorm. He said he didn't want it and if we wanted to have the powered mixer repaired we could have the system.

We play at small places where we just don't need more power than this system delivers. The Optimus speakers are kind of heavy for toting around and we are looking for a nice small pair of speakers.

Most likely we would just mount them on top of tables or chairs when we play out. Not really interested in big stands because that defeats the purpose of getting rid of 2 speakers that are replaced by 2 small speakers with 2 speaker stands. If we play where we need more inputs, I just bring one of our desktop mixers and plug it into one of the channels.

You can see in one of the pictures that the cats think the speakers are great scratching posts.

Smaller is better. The Hollinger is a 120W powered mixer.

Suggestions for small speakers requested.

Thanks,
Doug

Speakers_Amp.jpgAmp_Back.jpg

Last edited:
I was just gonna suggest contacting Ric. He's the man for this stuff

What is your budget? Ric

Around $200 for the pair, I guess. I know it is easy to lay out $1000 for a good pair but it isn't in the budget right now. I am interested in speakers that my wife can easily carry around when she is doing something solo and I have lost interest myself in carrying heavy things, after all I play the ukulele.

Thanks

Last edited:
A used pair of Yamaha BR-12s would be a good choice, if you can find them! They weight about 25lbs each, I think. I use a pair for sound gigs on the beach. They sound surprisingly good! They have a real horn, not tweeters. So, they brighter and more natural sounding, IMHO.

A used pair of Yamaha BR-12s would be a good choice, if you can find them! They weight about 25lbs each, I think. I use a pair for sound gigs on the beach. They sound surprisingly good! They have a real horn, not tweeters. So, they brighter and more natural sounding, IMHO.

timmit65, I will keep my eye out for a used pair of those. Checked out the specs and the size is just right, (15.8" W x 22.4" H x 13.18" D). Quite a few shops in the Twin Cities area to check out used equipment.

Thanks

I found one on CL for....$40.00! The trick was finding the match. It ran me $100.00. Good luck!

As recommended to me by someone on this site I use 2 Kustom PA50's which can be had for $80-100.00 each. Each one has 2-XLR & 2- 1/4" inch inputs which can be used simultaneously . Lightweight/Portable and work well when my small group plays nursing homes. We use it with 3 mic's and it works great. Search out threads on this site for more info.

timmit65,
I will keep an eye on CraigsList. It seems that a lot of the listings in our area have been taken over by retail shops instead of individuals just to make things harder.

brUKEman,
Thanks for the suggestion. I am limiting my search to passive speakers since we already have a powered mixer with 4 XLR and/or 1/4" mono inputs.

the kustom pa50 is on sale right now at GC for 79.99.

Bnolsen, you'll enjoy the Kustom PA50.

Doug W, the Kustom PA50's are powered speakers that can be interconnected with a microphone cable. They can sit on chairs, tables or mounted on stands. They have their own built in powered mixers, so you don't need to carry a mixer with you:

Here's one of mine:

KustomPA504.jpg

KustomPA505.jpg

KustomPA506.jpg

KustomPA507.jpg

They can also be mounted on speaker stands and if I want to use a powered subwoofer with them I plug the subwoofer out (a subwoofer is not required to use this PA system) into an Ampeg BA-108. Ric

I will take my wife on a little window shopping tour to see what she thinks.

Thanks

i havent tested it yet but i was going to try it together with my ampeg ba108 for use as a keyboard amp as well. And yes it is a nice PA. I tested one last year when checking over a used solid body electric uke at guitar center and was fairly impressed at the time.

Top Bottom