gourds to paper- mache

jcalkin

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a new thread rather than messing up meltzer's page about the gourd ukes he has made. For some reason, the mental jump from gourds to paper-mache isn't a long one for me. We all probably know about Torres' paper mache guitar. Well, that ain't nothin'. Check out Fred Carlson at www.beyondthetrees.com. and his paper-mache banjo, Jo'mama. (sorry, I don't think Fred works in ukuleles). Plugged in, it sounds amazing. I only bring this up because wood has its own limitations, and if you really want to work outside the box you might have to give it up. Fred, too, mainly sticks to wood, but no one is farther outside the box than he is.jomabkcl.JPGjomaffr3.JPG

Thanks for making me aware of Fred Carlson. Amazing instruments, amazing workmanship: I like the way he describes how he goes about meeting the musical and structural challenges he's faced with to achieve his objectives. Makes me feel like a total novice and at the same time inspires me to greater things. Its worth spending some time on the website or watch the clip below to appreciate the skill of the guy.

Sorry not to have addressed your point in posting: Gourds and paper mache!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3cDTJIxiw

Last edited:
No worries! I didn't expect anyone to get jacked up about paper-mache. Its a lot of work with out the glamor of pretty wood. With gourds nature does the design work. With paper-mache the artist can really take charge. But we're in a period now where amazing wood and high-caliber talent are in the spotlight. In another generation different values might be honored. Its good to keep track of all the possibilities, even the ones that don't hold favor just now.

Top Bottom