PDA

View Full Version : I finally sold a uke!

Vespa Bob
03-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Actually I sold four to be exact, three to one lady and one to her friend! Replying to an ad I had on Craig's List, where I had seven shown, she couldn't make up her mind which to buy, so after much deliberation, ended up buying two. She was so impressed with my work in spite of me pointing out to her the flaws that had concerned me up to the point of not thinking them fit for sale, that she became a self appointed sponsor and promoted my ukes on her Facebook page!
Later during the week she brought her friend over and after more serious decision making, they each ended up buying one!
Admittedly, my prices were very low, but, necessary in my mind because of the flaws and the fact that I needed the cash. I found it interesting, though, that they brushed aside my remarks about imperfections in the instruments, which, I suppose shows there is some truth in the saying that we are our worst critics.
They left promising that I hadn't seen the last of them and wanted me to keep them posted on my future projects!
While I never intend making a career out of selling ukuleles, as a result of this encounter, I feel more confident in my work.

Bob

jcalkin
03-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Way to go, Bob!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Four ukes? That's a home run. Time to get back to work. Congratulations!
(BTW, the higher your price the higher your customer's expectations will be.)

Dan Uke
03-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Four ukes? That's a home run. Time to get back to work. Congratulations!
(BTW, the higher your price the higher your customer's expectations will be.)

my expectations are based on price point. Once you get to the premium market, then it might be better to buy thru a reputable retailer like HMS cuz they know what to look for.

Congrats on the sale!!

Papa Dave
03-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Congratulations on the sales! I for one appreciate your integrity and openness about the flaws that you knew were there. Nice job.

DPO
03-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Well done! No doubt there will be many more to come. Congratulations!!

rockyl
03-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Congratulations! Got some pics to show us? Let me know when you have more, I'm not that far from SJ (Sacramento area).

Nickie
03-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Hey, WTG! I doubt if I could put the neck on the right end, let alone build one good enough to sell! I think the fact that you were up front with them, and your price range was right up their alley helped a lot!

jwieties
03-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Great stuff Rob. I really liked your last pineapple with the painted motif. Lots of cool touches. Your work is strong and it doesn't suprise me that people were eager to grab you ukes
Keep on making saw dust!

fretie
03-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Wow, good work on your uke sales!

Vespa Bob
03-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! I realize that the price had a lot to do with the sale of the instruments and that expectations rise along with the price asked. I'm hoping my future endeavors will be worthy of higher prices! Whatever, it's the sheer joy of creating these lovely instruments that will keep me going. Regarding pictures of my ukes, I have posted some on this forum, but here's a link to my Flickr page for those who wish to see them all in one place: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vespabob/sets/72157629833920463/

Bob

Doc_J
03-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! I realize that the price had a lot to do with the sale of the instruments and that expectations rise along with the price asked. I'm hoping my future endeavors will be worthy of higher prices! Whatever, it's the sheer joy of creating these lovely instruments that will keep me going. Regarding pictures of my ukes, I have posted some on this forum, but here's a link to my Flickr page for those who wish to see them all in one place: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vespabob/sets/72157629833920463/

Bob

Beautiful work Bob.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7272/13591765485_ee7680c2bc_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/mH4mme)Uke front (https://flic.kr/p/mH4mme) by Vespa Bob (https://www.flickr.com/people/12627641@N03/), on Flickr

rockyl
03-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Nice work, congrats. The only woodwork I did was in college. I built stage scenery and sometimes we made multi-level platforms. I often thought to myself those actors were really brave, good thing they didn't know what my skill level really was. ;-)

ukulelego
03-02-2015, 02:47 AM
Congratulations, that must be a hell of a feeling!

actadh
03-02-2015, 03:42 AM
Way to go! Those are beautiful. Congratulations on your success as a luthier.

Hluth
03-02-2015, 04:59 AM
Wow, great stuff! Looks to me like you'll be selling many more and they will just keep getting better.

rmeltzer
03-02-2015, 05:02 AM
That is really lovely. The sound hole grill work is beautiful. How is it made?

Sven
03-02-2015, 05:33 AM
I've sold loads of ukes but your experience with the ladies coming over beats all my sales. Congratulations and it does look really nice, the uke in the pic.

Habanera Hal
03-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Congratulations! Selling your first ukes (or anything that you personally made) is a terrific feeling!

RPA_Ukuleles
03-02-2015, 10:57 AM
VBob, your work is looking pretty first rate to me. You say you sold them at lower prices, I think those ladies knew a hell of good deal when they saw one. Whatever you charged, double (or triple) it for the next batch.

Vespa Bob
03-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks once again, everybody, but if you don't stop soon, I'll not be able to get my hat on! I think the term "luthier" if applied to me would be stretching the word somewhat, I'm just a hobbyist who has a passion for creating nice things with his hands and when it comes to ukuleles, I know I have a long way to go before I"ll ever produce work like I've seen on this board.
The design inside the rosette was not made by me, but it is laser cut by a company in Minnesota called Music Makers. They sell kits mainly of harps, but also other instruments. They sell the rosettes with different designs and sizes. Here is a link to their website: http://www.harpkit.com/

Bob

fourstringsisplenty
03-02-2015, 05:01 PM
That is some SERIOUSLY nice work! I don't know how you keep them around long enough to take pictures of!

Vespa Bob
03-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Actually, this is the first time I've tried to sell them. I was always afraid they were not good enough. They may look OK in the photos, but close up there are plenty of mistakes!

Bob

Michael Smith
03-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Actually, this is the first time I've tried to sell them. I was always afraid they were not good enough. They may look OK in the photos, but close up there are plenty of mistakes!

Bob

Not to worry, it seems like most players are over 60 and can't see that well anyway.

JustVince
03-04-2015, 08:04 AM

Bob

Like was mentioned earlier in the thread, we are our own worst critics Bob, I see excellent taste in your style which is also noticed by your customers. Well done, Vince

DocFMF
03-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Think of it this way... Folks that buy instruments that are not sold by big name music stores can be broken into 3 catagories. 1. Cheap, 2. Impulse buyers, & 3. The ones that have purchased yours.... People with good taste. LOL!!! Actually a few flaws are considered desirable if the flaws don't effect the playability. The inperfections bring to light the fact that the instrument was made by hand and not off of a soul less assembly line out of machine pressed parts by disgruntled employees that get paid too little to embue the instrument with that magic that we have all come to desire... Some call it workmanship but I call it love...

Whoah... Another 70's flashback...

Peace Love Dove all......

Doc

Vespa Bob
03-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Thank you so much for your eloquent reply, one never knows, how people are likely to react. In my case, thankfully, they loved my instruments and certainly boosted my morale!

Bob

DocFMF
03-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Bob,

My pleasure... I have only been building instruments since last september and I can't even talk about a planned project without someone telling me... Make me one too. I don't make very much money on them but I do get enough to pay for the next project plus one for sale to keep the ball rolling as it were. It also keeps my better half off my tail by not asking her for $$$ to build my next big project. LOL!!! I don't expect big profits because building is a hobby for me. If I were to build just for sale, it would become a job with people telling me what to make rather than doing it my way. That would soak up my enjoyment of the craft faster than a blotter. I recently retired and the last thing in the world that I am looking for is another job. That and the people that I do sell my instruments to get a pretty good deal considering the prices for hand made playable art now days.

P.S. I am not taking any orders ROFL!!!

Keep up the great work.

Doc