I finally sold a uke!

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
Actually I sold four to be exact, three to one lady and one to her friend! Replying to an ad I had on Craig's List, where I had seven shown, she couldn't make up her mind which to buy, so after much deliberation, ended up buying two. She was so impressed with my work in spite of me pointing out to her the flaws that had concerned me up to the point of not thinking them fit for sale, that she became a self appointed sponsor and promoted my ukes on her Facebook page!
Later during the week she brought her friend over and after more serious decision making, they each ended up buying one!
Admittedly, my prices were very low, but, necessary in my mind because of the flaws and the fact that I needed the cash. I found it interesting, though, that they brushed aside my remarks about imperfections in the instruments, which, I suppose shows there is some truth in the saying that we are our worst critics.
They left promising that I hadn't seen the last of them and wanted me to keep them posted on my future projects!
While I never intend making a career out of selling ukuleles, as a result of this encounter, I feel more confident in my work.

Bob

Four ukes? That's a home run. Time to get back to work. Congratulations!
(BTW, the higher your price the higher your customer's expectations will be.)

my expectations are based on price point. Once you get to the premium market, then it might be better to buy thru a reputable retailer like HMS cuz they know what to look for.

Congrats on the sale!!

Last edited:
Well done! No doubt there will be many more to come. Congratulations!!

Congratulations! Got some pics to show us? Let me know when you have more, I'm not that far from SJ (Sacramento area).

Hey, WTG! I doubt if I could put the neck on the right end, let alone build one good enough to sell! I think the fact that you were up front with them, and your price range was right up their alley helped a lot!

Great stuff Rob. I really liked your last pineapple with the painted motif. Lots of cool touches. Your work is strong and it doesn't suprise me that people were eager to grab you ukes
Keep on making saw dust!

Wow, good work on your uke sales!

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! I realize that the price had a lot to do with the sale of the instruments and that expectations rise along with the price asked. I'm hoping my future endeavors will be worthy of higher prices! Whatever, it's the sheer joy of creating these lovely instruments that will keep me going. Regarding pictures of my ukes, I have posted some on this forum, but here's a link to my Flickr page for those who wish to see them all in one place: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vespabob/sets/72157629833920463/

Bob

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! I realize that the price had a lot to do with the sale of the instruments and that expectations rise along with the price asked. I'm hoping my future endeavors will be worthy of higher prices! Whatever, it's the sheer joy of creating these lovely instruments that will keep me going. Regarding pictures of my ukes, I have posted some on this forum, but here's a link to my Flickr page for those who wish to see them all in one place: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vespabob/sets/72157629833920463/

Bob

Beautiful work Bob.

Uke front by Vespa Bob, on Flickr

Nice work, congrats. The only woodwork I did was in college. I built stage scenery and sometimes we made multi-level platforms. I often thought to myself those actors were really brave, good thing they didn't know what my skill level really was. ;-)

Way to go! Those are beautiful. Congratulations on your success as a luthier.

Wow, great stuff! Looks to me like you'll be selling many more and they will just keep getting better.

That is really lovely. The sound hole grill work is beautiful. How is it made?

Congratulations! Selling your first ukes (or anything that you personally made) is a terrific feeling!

VBob, your work is looking pretty first rate to me. You say you sold them at lower prices, I think those ladies knew a hell of good deal when they saw one. Whatever you charged, double (or triple) it for the next batch.

Top Bottom