humidifier questions

Stevelele

Reaction score
I have an ukulele and put two oasis humidifiers in my armitage case. The humidifiers have been placed by where the body joins with the fretboard. I put in a hydrometer, but I'm getting a reading of 28% humidity, even though my outside humidity is 40%. how is this possible and what am I doing wrong?

It's probably because your hygrometer is faulty or needs calibration. I have two Oasis humidifiers in each case (I have only two solid wood ukuleles) and get about 50%. I have cigar humidor digital hygrometers, and I have checked them against the big hygrometer in my bedroom; they are within 1% of each other. Also, I keep one Oasis in the uke's body and one by the neck. As long as they are filled, my ukes are fine.

By the way, humidity outdoors doesn't mean much unless all your windows are always open and you aren't running the heat or AC.

Last edited:
I think I figured it out. I've been using regular water and I believe that the liner has been clogged by the mineral content. i wonder if there is a way to fix it or whether i have to get completely new ones

It's probably because your hygrometer is faulty or needs calibration. I have two Oasis humidifiers in each case (I have only two solid wood ukuleles) and get about 50%. I have cigar humidor digital hygrometers, and I have checked them against the one in my bedroom; they are within 1% of each other. Also, I keep one Oasis in the uke's body and one by the neck. As long as they are filled, my ukes are fine.

By the way, humidity outdoors doesn't mean much unless all your windows are always open and you aren't running the heat or AC.

In a pinch use a damp sponge in a baggie with holes. I use small medicine bottles with lots of small (3/32) holes and Water absorbing gell crystals used for cigar humidification.

so i made the mistake of using non distilled water in the humidifier. apparently that is the kiss of death, and I'm trying to rectify it. I bought a bunch of tic tac containers and poked holes in them, putting in a damp sponge

Is it possible to soak the humidifier in vinegar to purge the calcium deposits? Just a thought... Works with shower heads. All of my in-case humidifiers are homemade, so I'm not familiar with the purchased variety.

that is a very clever idea. anyone have any thoughts about this? i guess i would be worried that the smell would transfer to the ukes. man, this stuff is driving me insane

Is it possible to soak the humidifier in vinegar to purge the calcium deposits? Just a thought... Works with shower heads. All of my in-case humidifiers are homemade, so I'm not familiar with the purchased variety.

If you need to refill the humifiers with water, they work whether you use regular to distiller water. maybe you need to Coolkayaker's technique and put your ukes in large Tupperware with sponge

i realized that my hydrometers are reading things very inconsistently. i think i have to put this to bed for now.... thanks for all the ideas

I understand why distilled water only is added to refill the level of old school wet batteries. As one who owns and operates an autoclave I understand the why behind the need for distilled water where minerals are dangerous to the unit. The same holds true for any electric humidifier though I dont believe they can explode like an autoclave but this shouldn't mean anything to a sponge, moisture crystals or the hydrometer.

I've messed with all sorts of different humidifier options, from those made for guitar and ukulele to those made for cigar humidors, and nothing has worked better for me than the DIY homemade kinds. I use a little plastic container filled with water storing crystals from Home Depot for my Mya moe case and it keeps it at an easy 45% RH, whereas the fancy cigar humidors that are supposed to maintain at 60% RH struggle at 40 and then quickly dry out.

I teach uke to junior high kids and we have 60 solid mahogany mainlands in my classroom. We have a room humidifier that works very hard to keep at 35% RH, but over the weekends and long breaks the ukes go in large plastic bins about 8 each and man those water storing crystals don't break a sweat and keep it easily 45-50% RH.

If you need to refill the humifiers with water, they work whether you use regular to distiller water. maybe you need to Coolkayaker's technique and put your ukes in large Tupperware with sponge

Incorrect. The instructions for humidifiers of all types suggest using distiller water to prevent mineral build up rendering them ineffective at absorbing water.

This is why I'm not buying any more wooden ukuleles--UAS or no. I just don't wanna be bothered with all the humidity stuff.

From now on it's plastic, carbon fibre or steel for me. :eek:ld:

Incorrect. The instructions for humidifiers of all types suggest using distiller water to prevent mineral build up rendering them ineffective at absorbing water.

I can't imagine the oasis humidifiers to be completely ineffective unless they are are soo old but usually water leaks where the seam are before mineral builds up along the complete liner. Secondly just the construction of the oasis would break th minerals as the lining is not too rigid and you can move it around to take the minerals off the linings if they build off.

With that said, I use distilled water for my humidifiers ��

Steve how old are the Oasis humidifiers?

the oasis humidifiers are two years old. I'm thinking of taking out the crystals and soaking them in vinegar to eliminate the mineral build up. I'd then have to soak them in distilled water to get rid of the smell

I can't imagine the oasis humidifiers to be completely ineffective unless they are are soo old but usually water leaks where the seam are before mineral builds up along the complete liner. Secondly just the construction of the oasis would break th minerals as the lining is not too rigid and you can move it around to take the minerals off the linings if they build off.

With that said, I use distilled water for my humidifiers ��

Steve how old are the Oasis humidifiers?

the oasis humidifiers are two years old. I'm thinking of taking out the crystals and soaking them in vinegar to eliminate the mineral build up. I'd then have to soak them in distilled water to get rid of the smell

okay two years is getting old. I agree with Chuck now. Good luck with the vinegar but you might want to get a couple new ones in the meantime.

Last edited:
Top Bottom