PDA

View Full Version : VLOG from Waikiki

PeteyHoudini
03-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Aloha! I'm in Hawaii on a ukulele group tour. Been very busy with so many events. Kimo Hussey is our guide and mentor.

Here is the 1st VLOG of my ukulele events and impressions:

VLOG 01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1f0au3PGCk

VLOG 02 is later on in the message thread. VLOG 03 (the wrap-up) will appear March 14th.

Mahalo!

Petey

spookelele
03-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Looks like you're having a great time.

molokinirum
03-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Beautiful......thanks for sharing!!

Camsuke
03-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks for sharing Peter, just fabulous!

Ukulele Eddie
03-02-2015, 09:49 AM
Nicely done, Petey. And so true about the ABC's. They're on every corner, seemingly. Once while I was there, a young guy shoplifted from one. The store manager -- not a young gentlemen -- chased him out and they got into an altercation. The bad guy was prevailing and seemed like he was going to really hurt him so four of us bystanders subdued him and held on for deal life (literally -- acted before I thought and the whole time I'm holding on I was thinking if I get killed, I'll never forgive myself) until the Honolulu Police showed up. So hearing about ABC's always gets my adrenaline pumping, probably the opposite association you have given you get your red wine there. ;-)

It was quite surprising to me to learn you weren't that familiar with the K-brands. I know you're a Martin enthusiast but given what a great player you are, I just assumed you would be more familiar with the K-brands than you suggested you are. Nice to see you showcasing that talent on some non-Martin stuff.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

hawaii 50
03-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Sorry Peter

I did not recognize you..i was the other guy at The Ukulele Site on Saturday
..not Aaron or Noah....congrats on the new Kamaka....:)

looks like Kimo keeping everyone busy....:) Corey should be there on Tuesday for the private concert.....

deschutestrout
03-02-2015, 11:35 AM
I really do enjoy watching your vids ... you're quite good at making them informative and entertaining. And .... I WANT TO VISIT THAT STORE! :o

mm stan
03-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Aloha Petey
E komo mai... (welcome) to Waikiki and Hawaii..well Oahu no forget to check all the Hawaiian music and local foods too :)
if you need help, give me a holler man

Ukejenny
03-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the video, Petey. The new uke looks and sounds sweet!!! I ordered some of those ukulele method books.

Sylvan
03-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Great vid. I wish I were there too as I'm tired of moving snow every other day! A trip to Hawaii is just the thing I need to cure some cabin fever. Since I'm not going anywhere soon, your video is the next best thing! I'm looking forward to your next update.

PhilUSAFRet
03-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Wow, sounds great, and a lesson from Kimo......worth the trip just for that. Glad you got your Kamaka pineapple. Thanks for sharing

Dan Uke
03-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Great vlog Pete! I'm not a local so like to see other's first Impression

wayfarer75
03-03-2015, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the vlog! I hope you enjoy your new Kamaka pineapple; I love mine. And sooooo jealous of you meeting Kimo Hussey!

BadLands Bart
03-03-2015, 04:48 AM
haha.....

ABC = All Blocks Covered!!!!

Osprey
03-03-2015, 05:01 AM
Great video, Thanks for sharing your Hawaii experience. What an amazing opportunity to spend time with Kimo and visit HMS
Cliff

Maiden Uke
03-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Love your VLOG, Petey, wish I was there!

Booli
03-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Hi Petey,

Thanks for sharing your video. Since I am stuck in miserable winter weather in the East Coast of the USA, I can vicariously experience your trip from you sharing your joy with us while you are there.

I always appreciate your videos. I'm kind of afraid of the severity of my UAS for when I actually do visit Hawaii myself...as HMS would be a priority stop for me too....

Safe travels...Booli :)

janeray1940
03-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Kamaka longneck pineapple!! I tried so hard to find one my last trip to Hawaii but none were to be found unless I ordered from the factory and waited for them to build it. Lucky you!

hawaii 50
03-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Kamaka longneck pineapple!! I tried so hard to find one my last trip to Hawaii but none were to be found unless I ordered from the factory and waited for them to build it. Lucky you!

Andrew seems to get a few with each new batch of ukes from Kamaka...pretty sure he will have some slot head tenors coming soon too...:)

janeray1940
03-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Andrew seems to get a few with each new batch of ukes from Kamaka...

I keep checking the HMS site hopefully from time to time but the longneck pineapples are always out of stock. Does he ever do wait lists?

(Apologies Petey for the derail!)

hawaii 50
03-03-2015, 02:55 PM
I keep checking the HMS site hopefully from time to time but the longneck pineapples are always out of stock. Does he ever do wait lists?

(Apologies Petey for the derail!)

email Andrew and tell him to save you one...I see them quite often but maybe they sell them quickly...:)
good luck

I was there when Peter bought his new Pineapple Kamaka...he got a good deal on a great Uke.....:)

janeray1940
03-03-2015, 03:00 PM
email Andrew and tell him to save you one...I see them quite often but maybe they sell them quickly...:)
good luck

I was there when Peter bought his new Pineapple Kamaka...he got a good deal on a great Uke.....:)

Congrats to Peter on the uke! And I will email Andrew just as soon as I am certain that I want to do this. Oh, who am I kidding... I've known for years that I wanted one!

Brenda Wong
03-03-2015, 04:16 PM
It's so cool to watch someone from Canada talking about the snow and ABC. I was just there in January taking a break from the cold. Yes the Kamaka tour was nice ! Saw a Japanese tourist telling the uku shop at the Hyatt that he has gone up and down Waikiki looking for Kamaka and all out of stock.
Didn't know there is a hawaii ukulele tour from canada. I would have signed up.
Thank you for sharing .

peterbright
03-03-2015, 04:35 PM
love the vlog and salt and vinegar chips!

Hammond
03-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Great song! Thanks Petey.

Enjoyed so much watching your vlog, feeling your joy and excitement. Happy for you.

kkimura
03-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Great VLOG Petey. Now I'm homesick on top of UAS.

Kanaka916
03-04-2015, 04:51 AM
Just another trivial bit of info since you mentioned Jon Osorio . . . in 1980, he was part of a duo and along with his friend Randy Borden released an album titled "Hawaiian Eyes". Thanks to YT, here's my favorite, track 7, a tune titled "Hawaiian Soul" . . . the mele was written in honor of George Helm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD7_uNy4jB8

Bob-in-Alberta
03-04-2015, 05:26 AM
Great Vlog. It brings back memories. I was at HMS last October and Kimo was there. He recommended that I try low g and I definitely like it. Will you be doing a Part 2?

PeteyHoudini
03-06-2015, 02:03 AM
VLOG # 2 (first part)

http://youtu.be/Zmflaq5jX2g

Will write later! Thanks everyone!

Petey

Bob-in-Alberta
03-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Thanks. I enjoyed that.

peterbright
03-06-2015, 04:28 PM
way to go Petey...wish I were there

wayfarer75
03-07-2015, 10:26 AM
The jealousy increases!

fretie
03-07-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm really enjoying your vlog posts, Petey! It's like being along for the fun; thanks for sharing your ukulele tour!

PeteyHoudini
03-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Mahalo everyone. I DID NOT mean to ignore anyone who graciously contacted me. The events were overwhelming with the group of "29" and I know now I could have used an extra week on my own afterwards to see some local music with those who contacted me. I am not a group type of guy and it tires me but I got to know the people and I was sad to see them go on to the Big Island for one of Roy Sakuma's festivals while I was leaving back to Canada, and I had to hang around the hotel lobby for hours bored waiting for the shuttle since it was full there was no opportunity of late check-out. I did find it interesting to be in an open air airport in Honolulu but it was very chilly even with my long black coat on and pants. Though, it is the Hawaiian winter.

Will respond to the people in this thread this week. I've been up for 30 hours now. I was just so overwhelmed by the ukulele events in Hawaii. I struggled to make notes and record in my Waikiki hotel room (when it was less noisy out the window with the tour buses) and had little time to respond. Lighting was bad, but I fixed a bit with Premiere Pro (in VLOG 02) and editing took time but I really wanted to share my fun adventure. I was only annoyed at one point when my Surface Pro 2.0's keyboard stopped working. Argh!! Too many MS updates were messing it up. I use Premiere Pro CC for editing (I sub to the Adobe CC) and it works well enough.

I made it back safe and sound to chilly Ottawa, Canada at 4:30 pm EST today.

I will do a wrap-up VLOG 03 here back in Ottawa with pix, my thoughts about Hawaii (non-ukulele as well), my explanation of Kimo Hussey's playing technique, and my rating of such an organized event (9 out of 10 in this case!). I bought the $800 Kamaka pineapple, $100 worth of uke books (includes Daniel Ho DVDs), chocolate with macademias, Kona coffee, and an el cheapo uke and I was quite over the import limit but the customs agent did not charge me any fees. She was very interested about the ukulele group tour, Hawaii, etc... the uke just opens doors to friendliness!

And the Pineapple Kamaka is now safe and sound in my apartment! Maybe not for long... LOL

Though, I came back today and there was a note on my door for eviction if I don't pay my rent by March 15th! Good grief... I left a cheque for my rent on Feb. 25th when I left for Hawaii. Good help is hard to find! Will sort it on out on Monday!

Petey

PeteyHoudini
03-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Aloha!

Thanks everyone! Thinking up ideas while on vacation and editing the VLOGs took some effort but I wanted to share en route. Hawaii is a magical place for ukulele players and it's worth discovering its history, people, and beauty.

@Ukulele Eddie: What a story! Glad you made it through! I think our first bus driver on arrival at the Honolulu airport said "ABC" = Aloha Brings Cash! LOL Some woman on the bus asked where she could buy some booze. Indeed, I was NOT AT ALL familiar with the K-brands. I'd played a Ko'aloha soprano in Toronto at the 12th fret a year before but I wasn't on the lookout for Hawaiian ukes at that time. I had found my Martin ukes early on, but I still have an open mind, usually best filled with wine and crazy thoughts! hehe I will showcase the Kamaka pineapple in a separate VID. Meeting Sam Kamaka set me off big-time and I wanted a Kamaka pineapple the second after meeting him.

@hawaii 50: hehe No worries, mate. I remember you. I'm just a nobody. No need to know me. I just love the uke and do some vids to help share the joy of the uke and offer a few tips. Though, I love composing songs on it. I had stopped writing songs on the guitar and have had a strange rebirth of inspiration on the uke. I find songs just fly out of me like a bird over Mauna Kea. Most people think I'm Snape from Harry Potter (when seeing my videos) making potions and giving uke tutorials these days! LOL Kimo is da man! Luv that guy!

@deschutestrout: Thanks. The visit to that store was not in our group agenda. It was suggested by a few in our group and Kimo confirmed it "was a MUST" to visit so we chartered a bus to the North shores and it was amazing to go there!

@Ukejenny: Those method books are the BEST BOOKS I've ever seen. Though, one needs to read music to get the most out of them. They are just fantastic. I will go over the included DVDs by Daniel Ho over the next few months. I love having all three… (Beginning, Intermediate, Mastering). One can buy those books on Amazon but I wanted to have them while on vacation in my grubby little paws! ;-) hihi

@Sylvan: Hawaii cures CABIN FEVER big-time! Believe you me.

@PhilUSAFRet: Kimo's view on just music in general and the ukulele is amazing. It was so worth meeting and learning from him.

@BadLands Bart: Yep… great, but I prefer ALOHA BRINGS CASH. hehe

@Booli: Thanks for nice words, man! I feel your vibe too about winter. I was so fed up this year, but to be fair, I signed up for the trip a year in advance (in its planning stages not knowing about Kimo) and walking off that plane in Honolulu on a dark humid night on Feb. 25th felt good.

@janeray1940: Actually, that was a normal soprano pineapple. No longneck.

@Brenda Wong: Thanks! Kamakas are a bit hard to find in the Waikiki uke shops. I had to go to the North Shore to HMS (The Ukulele Site) to get one. I did indeed buy some wine every day at the ABC stores. hehe This original "Captain Sandy's Ukulele Adventure in Hawaii" was organized for the first time from Ottawa and it had 29 people. So popular! There were only a few people from Ottawa, but most were from the rest of Canada and Texas, Wisconsin, etc…

@peterbright: Funny about chips. I always like to check out the local chips wherever I travel. In France, I still find they are the best and Germany have some great African flavoured chips. In Hawaii, you have "Maui" kettle chips. I grew up on the border of Michigan and Canada (Port Huron/Sarnia) and they didn't have salt and vinegar chips in the USA. However, I found it funny to find salt and vinegar chips in the Hawaii! hihi

@Kanaka916: Jon Osorio is an amazing guy. Listening to a lecture from him is worth its weight in gold. Hate to use such a cliché but Jon is outstanding. BTW – the video is inaccessible.

Aloha!

Petey

janeray1940
03-10-2015, 03:52 PM
@janeray1940: Actually, that was a normal soprano pineapple. No longneck.

Oh wow, I could have sworn I saw a 14-fret join and 18 frets total (but my vision is... unreliable at best!) - which is what I'm UASing over bigtime right now. I've got the normal soprano pineapple and I love that little thing to death, but she doesn't have quite enough frets for some of the things I'm playing as of lately. An excellent uke regardless!

hawaii 50
03-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Hey Peter I felt bad when they told me who you were..i try to take care of all the great UU members if I can....I would of tried to show you more of the uke scene on Oahu if I could of....Kimo is a great person to show everyone about the ukulele..i want to be like him...except I can not play like him...:)

Kimo working hard on the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii show at Duke's at the Outrigger Waikiki in November on Oahu..some of the best builders on Oahu and from the neighbor Islands and Japan will be there....should be good!!

hope to see you on your next trip here....the Ukulele Festival here in July is good fun..many UU members come for it...

PeteyHoudini
03-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Oh wow, I could have sworn I saw a 14-fret join and 18 frets total (but my vision is... unreliable at best!) - which is what I'm UASing over bigtime right now. I've got the normal soprano pineapple and I love that little thing to death, but she doesn't have quite enough frets for some of the things I'm playing as of lately. An excellent uke regardless!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! My pineapple has 18 frets! My Waikiki hotel room was so dark even with the balcony curtains fully opened... it would be hard to tell. So, you're saying that I HAVE THE LONG NECK PINEAPPLE after all! Wow! I had no clue! Yes, I have the 18 fret pineapple!

Petey

janeray1940
03-10-2015, 06:23 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! My pineapple has 18 frets! My Waikiki hotel room was so dark even with the balcony curtains fully opened... it would be hard to tell. So, you're saying that I HAVE THE LONG NECK PINEAPPLE after all! Wow! I had no clue! Yes, I have the 18 fret pineapple!

Petey

YOU HAVE THE LONGNECK PINEAPPLE!!! Now, hand it over :)

That is so funny that you didn't know. They are really hard to come by, except special order (or perhaps through HMS, which I'm going to look into). I've heard the majority of them are made for the Japanese market, which is why one rarely sees them in the stores. It's actually a concert scale neck on a soprano body, which I've recently discovered is (for me, anyway) the best of all possible worlds all in one.

CanuckUkeMaui
03-11-2015, 12:33 AM
Mahalo Petey for your interesting vlogs from Hawaii....
Aloha
Terry

PeteyHoudini
03-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Aloha!

@hawaii 50: Next time about the uke scene! I like the idea of that November Outrigger at Dukes. Hum... need to think about it... save some cash. Yes, I did get a great deal on that longneck pineapple and I didn't even know it was the long-necked! LOL I was annoyed I couldn't see any Kamaka and when Noah asked me what I was looking for and I said a Kamaka pineapple, he pointed up with his finger. That was a funny moment I'll never forget. It was right above me like a pineapple growing in a tree!!! LOL Just joking, pineapples grow in the ground. More, a coconut!

@janeray1940: LOL! Sorry I took your UAS dream-inspired uke! It was just hanging above like fate when I asked Noah where are the Kamaka pineapple ukes and he just pointed up. hehe Thanks A LOT for informing me about the uke. When I look at it now (just beside me), I see that the neck is much longer! It's wonderful like that, believe you me!

@CanuckUkeMaui: You're welcome! Aloha!

Petey

mm stan
03-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Aloha Petey... Dukes is a restaurant in the Outrigger hotel at the beach...I believe the ukulele guild exhibition may be in the old SOS showroom at the hotel...
I may be wrong on this maybe...:)

PeteyHoudini
03-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Aloha Petey... Dukes is a restaurant in the Outrigger hotel at the beach...I believe the ukulele guild exhibition may be in the old SOS showroom at the hotel...
I may be wrong on this maybe...:)

Anywhere, I will be fine! hehe I think I need to get back to Oahu for some uke events! hehe

Petey

hawaii 50
03-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Anywhere, I will be fine! hehe I think I need to get back to Oahu for some uke events! hehe

Petey

here is some info

http://ukuleleguild.org/index_files/Page1077.htm

PeteyHoudini
03-11-2015, 04:50 PM
here is some info

http://ukuleleguild.org/index_files/Page1077.htm

Thanks! That's getting my uke friction tuners thinking! hehe

I'm thinking seriously about this event. 8-)

Peter