Keeping your hand in

deejayen

Reaction score
I'm a guitarist who's just started to play soprano uke. The uke is sounding great, and I've been enjoying it over the past few days. At first there was the anticipated problem of adapting to the tight fret spacing, plus the wider than expected string spacing. However, I've been adjusting pretty well - until I came to play the guitar today, and that initially felt slightly less than natural. I think any problem would be mainly down to different string spacing on the picking hand, but obviously there are fretting and technique differences between the two instruments.

I really don't want to lose any 'skill' I have on the guitar, as that's my main instrument, but I do enjoy playing the uke.

I just wondered what playing regime might help to keep me up to speed on both instruments - such as playing one in the morning and the other in the evening...

Just play them both as much as you can ;). I'm a long time guitarist and have noticed if I only play the uke for several days in a row, it takes a bit to get my "chops" back together on the guitar. I have an important gig this weekend and figured I better start running through my play list (which is primarily guitar-based) ... first couple songs I played yesterday were "whoa-boy! You'd better run through these a FEW times!"

:agree: Yes, just keep playing the different instruments regularly, and your brain will handle the switch without thought. Same works for jumping between different ukulele sizes. It is just like memorizing songs, and getting them into your muscle memory. Those little adjustments that are needed when switching sizes are more quickly achieved with practice.

–Lori

Top Bottom