Picking a pick perfectly.

Icelander53

Reaction score
I just ordered a Risa Steel string electric. I've never used a pick but I think I'll try with this one.

I think they come in lite, med, heavy. What would be best for a uke if that's a proper question? Or maybe better to ask what's the benefit vs cost of each type?

Get one of each. They're super cheap and you might find one's better for one thing and another is better for something else. Generally, heavier is used for lead work and lighter is for strumming.

I just ordered a Risa Steel string electric. I've never used a pick but I think I'll try with this one.

I think they come in lite, med, heavy. What would be best for a uke if that's a proper question? Or maybe better to ask what's the benefit vs cost of each type?

Yes, try several shapes, thicknesses, etc.

If you've never used a pick before, you might try a variety to see what you lean towards. Everybody is different when it comes to picks. Some prefer heavy, some prefer thinner.

I use Dunlop .38mm nylon picks for both nylon and steel string instruments. They're pretty thin and flex easily and fit my playing style.

True enough. I have three beaters that I found but I have no idea where they are.

My Pono ET-PC brother I am affraid we are going to lose you down the electronics rabbit hole. First picks, then pedals, then cables, then effects, then amps........................ Let me know when you want to sell your cedar mahogany pro classic :p

Definitely try a variety, but as a first time picker you will probably fare better with a thinner, more flexible pick.

Most beginners will tend to really dig in with the pick, until you develop the touch. A flexible pick will help alleviate that.

Get one of each. They're super cheap and you might find one's better for one thing and another is better for something else. Generally, heavier is used for lead work and lighter is for strumming.

Yes , like heavy metal .........oh I just love the English language.......(I'll probably get in trouble for this as well :uhoh:):biglaugh:

Seriously though, Brad ,Hippie Guy is right ..I use a 1.5 mm for lead on electric guitar and acoustic (steel strings) and .80 ish for strum and lead on nylon and anything less is useful for wafting small bugs to keep them cool on hot days ..... others may find differently so buy a mixed bag and experiment.....

Last edited:
well I get flamed for using blue chip picks ($35 - $50) each but they are amazing...over $20K in arch tops and over $20K in flat tops...what is $160 worth of picks? Have spent much more than that on cheap picks...I own hundreds of those. My guitar students prefer mediums on average.

well I get flamed for using blue chip picks ($35 - $50) each but they are amazing...over $20K in arch tops and over $20K in flat tops...what is $160 worth of picks? Have spent much more than that on cheap picks...I own hundreds of those. My guitar students prefer mediums on average.

I have not tried Blue Chip picks. I used to play with tortoise shell picks I have had since forever. (Lee Ritenour gave them to me when I was just a lad, but that's a different story) now I use bone, almost exclusively, and I'm not inclined to change.

My Pono ET-PC brother I am affraid we are going to lose you down the electronics rabbit hole. First picks, then pedals, then cables, then effects, then amps........................ Let me know when you want to sell your cedar mahogany pro classic :p

Don't think so. I already have two solids but in concert which I don't like and they are not great to the ear. So. I'll still be playing mostly acoustic. I'm at a fortunate stage of life where I have more than enough resources to buy any uke I want. So I'd like them to be the ones I actually want.

There are picks and there are picks. Some are of the $.59 variety and others can cost as much as some ukes.

If there is a music store in your area, stop by and see what they have. It's easy to get a size-shape-thickness assortment of inexpensive picks and then experiment for a while. It can take some time to feel comfortable using a pick, especially to "pick" and not strum. However, once one gets used to using a pick, it can easily become a preferred tendency instead of finger use.

Last edited:

I tried a couple of Blue Chip picks, and thought they were very good, but ultimately found myself using my Dunlops and Fender Heavies. Nothing in the world wrong with paying $35 for a pick if it makes a difference to you, but I had to admit it didn't make much difference to me.

$35 for a tiny piece of rounded off plastic. :rofl: I'm sorry but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it ain't worth it.

But If you're famous I could see it. Cause all you have to do is write the company and you'll get them free.

Top Bottom