Random ??????

freedive135

Reaction score
So if you take a Tenor Guitar and restring it re-enterant and tune it gCEA is it now a Ukulele?
This site lists the Low G tuning as an option even calling it Uke tuning.

http://www.tenorguitar.com/glance.html

Just wondering, yesterday while at my local folk music store I saw a Tenor Guitar and it looked just like a Kala Arch Top with the F holes just bigger.

Last edited:
I think it's just a tenor guitar tuned like a ukulele - the scale length would be something like 6 inches longer than that of a tenor uke and even four inches longer than a bari - at least, according to Wikipedia, which while not the most reliable source, does sound about right, give or take.

Somebody was asking the other day if it's the scale length that gives the uke its name - if that is the case, then I think this just has to stay a tenor guitar, regardless of the tuning.

Hmm ... I don't know.

Does the tuning make the instrument or the instrument make the tuning? Guitar is still a guitar, no matter what tuning. So I'd guess a tenor uke is a tenor uke, no matter what tuning.

Maybe it has to do with scale length?

My understanding of what makes a Ukulele a Ukulele is not so much scale length or a Soprano would be the only Ukulele and everything else would have been named something else,
Or
the way it is tuned as there are several ways to tune a Uke unlike a fish...

But that it is re-enterant stringing that makes a Ukulele a Ukulele.
Now I maybe wrong and I have been before.....

Maybe at this point a re-enterant strung Tenor Guitar becomes a Super Baritone Ukulele???????

(it's a slow day at work)

Last edited:
DGBE tuning in the tenor guitar world is called "Chicago tuning."

Tahitians aside, when you put metal strings on it, it ain't a uke no mo'.

And, much as there's good -- in some cases, great -- music being played on them, I think a baritone uke is only a ukulele for the same reason that they let Pancho and Lefty slip away... out of kindness, I suppose.

Flame on. Ainokea.

...hmmm. If a church went bankrupt and abandoned their building and someone bought it and used the building for a bar, would the church still be a church?:eek:ld:

What is the relationship between man and church? What is the relationship between uke and man?:music:

The very essence of 'quality'.

Robert Pirsig
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Does it matter what you call it? Just play it, and enjoy it.

Ukantor.

...hmmm. If a church went bankrupt and abandoned their building and someone bought it and used the building for a bar, would the church still be a church?:eek:ld:

What is the relationship between man and church? What is the relationship between uke and man?:music:

The very essence of 'quality'.

Robert Pirsig
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Well if your in The Lodo Bar district in downtown Denver the answer to that is YES!!!!
http://www.clubzone.com/c/Denver/Nightclub/The_Church.html

Top Bottom