Compass Rose Concert

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just tried this compass rose concert and it has such a beautiful tone, I am wondering how many too love the great tone and guitary sound8.19.13 figurines 017.jpg8.19.13 figurines 020.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely aren't they? :)

Yea Stan, played Gillian's CR concert (think it was) last year at Hayward. Very playable, has a lovely tone and just a beautiful instrument. I was drawn more to Gary's CR tenor . . .

Yea Stan, played Gillian's CR concert (think it was) last year at Hayward. Very playable, has a lovely tone and just a beautiful instrument. I was drawn more to Gary's CR tenor . . .

Aloha Mai Danny,
Yes wish I could try theirs too, as they have tenors ..my concert really sounds like a tenor so I would
Love to try theirs too... speaking of Gillian, congratulations on her new ukulele and prayers on her health
Issues and a speedy recovery. ..

Last edited:
Stan, wasn't aware of her problems. You know if she doing okay?

Thanks for your concern, guys. :) I'm getting back to normal and evidence of that is my UAS returned and am eagerly awaiting a Blackbird BTU w/RMC pickup from HMS!!

I took my precious "Wowee" CR microjumbo tenor to a uke meeting last week and almost had a potentially damaging collision with another person's uke. Hence, my CRs will stay home after I receive the Blackbird.

I've never heard a CR concert, only tenors, but I'm sure they sound just as lovely as their bigger brethren.

I've had a chance to play a number of CR tenors at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto and Sylvan's Music in Santa Cruz, and they are lovely instruments. My own CR tenor is all walnut, so it has more of a deeper mellow tone, and I occasionally think about swapping it for a sprucetop, which in my experience have a brigherand more guitar-like tone. (And I have two much-heralded and beloved CR baritones, one a steel string tuned DGBE, the other a nylon string tuned octave-lower CGEA, and both with spruce tops and Amazon Rosewood back and sides.) But all the CR tenors I've played are great instruments with a wonderful voice and nice sustain.

Stan, is that CR concert yours?

Last edited:
I've had a chance to play a number of CR tenors at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto and Sylvan's Music in Santa Cruz, and they are lovely instruments.

Have you played both the Style B and Jumbo variations of CR tenors? I was curious to know what, if any, difference there was in sound between the two (recognizing that there will be a difference due to different soundboards)? I am looking at getting a CR tenor and would love to know more about the how the different shape changes the sound.

Many thanks!

I wondered why they called it a Compass....now I know! Very cool looking uke!

Top Bottom