funny noise?

little_lanikai

Reaction score
hello all, i just got a graphic stagg soprano ukulele! i love it, but my only thing is it makes a funny twangy noise, but its in standard tuning...maybe its the strings? but my other ukes(concert fluke & soprano lanikai):) don't make that noise, they all have black nylon strings... has anyone had this problem? any suggestions? thanks!:)

uqb0i.jpg

A twangy sound is how I descibe it when strings are too old, and have got past their best (like me!). If your uke is new, that will not be your problem. Do you mean the uke sounds OK, but also produces a twangy sound, or you don't like the quality of its "voice" when you strum a chord?

Someone posted today that their soprano uke sounds much better tuned up to A;D;F#;B. This might help. Otherwise I'd just advise a change to Aquila 'Nylgut' strings.

Best of luck,

Ukantor.

yes it sounds ok, but also produces a twangy sound and i don't like the quality of its 'voice" when i strum a chord, i'll try tuning it differently to that thanks for your help! :)

I'll second changing strings, actually, trying out several starting with Aquila's. What a beautiful smile. Great picture to start the day.

Hmmmm.....Let us know how it sounds tuned up to 'D' tuning.

It SHOULD sound fine tuned gCEA, of course, but with a problem like yours it is difficult to know if the fault lies with the strings themselves, with the uke, or even the way the strings are fitted to the uke (the set-up).

I love the way your uke is painted. I have a friend who paints custom designs on ukes

http://paintedukuleles.com/

and I'm very tempted to have one created for me.

Ukantor (John Colter)

I like your painted uke. It remindes me of Yellow Submarine.

beatlesysum2.gif

thanks everyone for the picture comments :) it does sound better in 'D' tuning, i think i'll have the strings changed next week to see if there is any difference though... i think the problem is either the strings themselves or the way they have been fitted onto the ukulele--like ukantor said, i'll try some aquilas next... thanks again everyone! I'll let you know how it works out...

Last edited:
Top Bottom