Ukuleles with scale length between concert and tenor?

g'est

Reaction score
I find the concert size most comfortable to play and I like the sound of tenors, so I was wondering about ukuleles with scale length somewhere between a concert and a tenor, that's about 15,5-16 inches.

I know that Ohta-san has a scale length of 15-15/16" but I couldn't think of any others.

I'm sure you guys know, what's out there! :)

Have you tried a low G tuning on your concert?

That's a great idea! :) I was planning to do it and I just received Living Water low G concert ukulele strings from Ken Middleton. However, I lent my concert uke to a friend, so that will have to wait a little bit. Do you like low G on a concert?

There was another one mentioned in a recent post but unfortunately I can't find it. I did find this discussion from a while back: 16" scale length?

(psssst... get the Ohta-San, you won't regret it!)

Thanks for the link! I'm trying really hard not to buy the Ohta-san, it would really crush my budget! :(

I play low G on both concert (Kamaka, 15" scale) and Ohta-San - both sound great. I'm not a fan of fluorocarbon low G strings, though, so I prefer the Fremont Soloist squeakless wound string. I've also got a Koaloha concert-neck pineapple which sounds good with low G.

And yeah - that Ohta-San is a budget crusher, but for those of us whose hands are too small to play tenor comfortably, it's as good as it gets :)

There is Ono ukuleles by builder David Ingalls who builds custom ukes with a long concert scale length of 16". That is the good news, bad news is he has had a hand operation and rehab is going very slowly so all production has been put on hold for a while now. Maybe that is good news because it will give you time to save up for one.:)They are actually very reasonably priced for a custom.

There is Ono ukuleles by builder David Ingalls who builds custom ukes with a long concert scale length of 16". That is the good news, bad news is he has had a hand operation and rehab is going very slowly so all production has been put on hold for a while now. Maybe that is good news because it will give you time to save up for one.:)They are actually very reasonably priced for a custom.

What Dave said. Ono Ukuleles are wonderful. David is also a member here: "saltytri".

Flea concerts are a 15.5" scale, although they use the same body for all the different scale lengths (so you might not get the tenor sound you're looking for).

Yes, was going to say a Bruko 9 - you beat me to it Billten!

It's an idiosyncratic little thing - definitely in the 'between concert and tenor' scale - in fact - fits (snugly) in my Ko'olau hard concert case.

One thing some dont like is that sopranoesque number of frets on the neck.

I love it though - a very nice little thing that is different from the norm..

You want a longer scale or a bigger body? It seems the body would give tenors their sound. I see from another thread, that Kanilea makes a Super Tenor, which has a bigger body, maybe there's a Super Concert? Might be a custom, though...Kanileas have a slightly larger body than most anyway.

concert fluke is 15.5" The concert flea is the same.

Cocobolo Ukuleles now has a 16" super concert that might be an option for you. I have a traditional concert and it is a good instrument for the price. Very warm tone.

Top Bottom